Moving dogs to the DR

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As we are moving to the DR next month, I would like to get some info on the possibilities of owning high-powered guard- and sporting dogs over there.

We will be bringing our kennel of 9 dogs, and would like to know the following:

what do you need to bring a dog into the country. As far as I can see, you need a declaration of good health by a certified vet not older than 30 days, the standard inoculations, the rabies shots and a treatment against parasites. Is this correct?

can anybody advise me about affordable high-quality premium dogfood over there. Dogchow does not give the necessary energy to our dogs, and I noticed Pro Plan is outrageous in price. The other alternative would be to cook our own, but that is a hassle.

does anybody have info about a good veterinarian clinic in Santiago or La Vega.

Thanks for the info

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
nine dogs

you won't be able to bring dogs into this country in the summer time!! The termperatures will not allow it. you will need to fly them in early fall before winter in new york.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot advice on bringing dogs to DR but i can tell you that for our rottweiler we buy PRISM PRISM Premium Pet Foods
our cousin has a vet supply store in SD and he swears by it.
many people in DR cook for their dogs. you can get a big bag of bones (cow and pig) with some meat on them for 50 pesos. you cook it with 2 pounds of rice and you have plenty of food.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You say "a declaration of good health by a certified vet not older than 30 days" that seems awfully young to be a certified vet! LOL

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
You must also factor in languange training for your dogs - if not they may be hussled by the local dogs. Neutering may be needed, as your dogs could wind up falling for local younger dogs that will only use them for their precious toys - you may find your dogs giving up their best bones and chew toys to the local bitches. And most importantly if you want your dogs to fit in, never, ever bring them out in public dressed in shorts and sandals!!

Reactions: cobraboy
Jan 17, 2009
Where are you coming from? Did you check with your airline? I had to fly in early May a few years back just to bring my dog and leave her here while I finished up with my move. From the US, no airline would take her if the temperature is as high as it is now in any stop (same for low temps in the winter).

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Just over 3 years ago, we flew our 5 dogs and 2 cats from the UK in a very hot June with no restrictions on temperature (if I remember correctly). As the OP is flying from Belgium I think the rules may therefore be different to those of the US airlines so please don't take "you won't" as gospel.

fullboat

Mar 25, 2009
As sylinder stated you will not be able to transport the dog/dogs until the temp is so that the amimal will not be under due stress. I know this because my GF works for A/A airlines and they will not accept pets due to possible tarmac delays either at point of origin or point of destination..Forget about next month..You will need to wait till at least October/November...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I don't think you did Whirleybird.

Those are US restrictions on animal carriage, not European.

I brought my cat over from England in August.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
You are going to need an animal forwarding company. I doubt a commercial passenger airline will take 9 dogs in the same plane you are flying in. Check out this new company : Pet Airways is a pet airline

The 80 degress F temperature limit for departure and arrival locations might not apply to European companies but, regardless, if you care about your pets i would not fly them in during summer time. The heat on the tarmac can be lethal in a very short period of time. That's the reason why AA has those rules.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listen, folks. we are talking about traveling from belgium here, ok?
not belgium, illinois. not belgium, wisconsin. not even belgium, new york.
just belgium. a country. in europe.
therefore american airlines rules DO NOT APPLY.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
You are going to need an animal forwarding company. I doubt a commercial passenger airline will take 9 dogs in the same plane you are flying in. Check out this new company : Pet Airways is a pet airline

The 80 degress F temperature limit for departure and arrival locations might not apply to European companies but, regardless, if you care about your pets i would not fly them in during summer time. The heat on the tarmac can be lethal in a very short period of time. That's the reason why AA has those rules.

My pets were kept at a constant pleasant temperature during the 9.5 hour flight from the UK. The captain on the flight sent me messages to assure me of their wellbeing. I travelled alone on that flight with 7 animals so why would our friend from Belgium have a different problem if he selects the correct airline? His dogs are obviously important to him as were our pets and it was well worth the money we paid to have them transported correctly - I would not have come without them... simple as that!

I am more than a little offended that someone would suggest that I don't care about welfare of animals by transporting them in the summer.... anyone who actually knows me would not even question it.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
i cannot advice on bringing dogs to DR but i can tell you that for our rottweiler we buy PRISM PRISM Premium Pet Foods

Anywhere on the north coast that we can get this. Our Rottweiler is eating us out of house and home :)

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our vet brings it from SD (he has vet supply distribution centre) but i think you can ask in any big vet store.
they have few types of food and we use either growth or performance formula.
our dog is only 5 months old so she eats... moderate amounts... :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dog Food

I know that Science Diet is available in Nagua so there must/should other outlets. At the agricultural store on #5 on the Cabrera side of town - west.
Surely Sto Do will have everything you need.

Any airline will give you their animal rules. AA haas the heat rule in the US and just 2 kennel slots available per plane - first come is first served.

It may be possible to talk to the cargo people at the respective airlines. The 80 degree rule is in effect but ,in reality, all the DR airports flunk this number any day of the year.

We had no trouble from Miami on AA but it was February.

That new pet airline is No America only...... so far. It is fully booked for days in adavnce. No people, just animals.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Belgium airline!
Boek goedkoop uw vliegticket bij JetairFly.com
9.4 Transport of pets
All travelers must be in possession of the required documents for transportation of pets.
Pets, that are travelling with their owner within Europe need to be in possession of a European passport (available at the veterinary surgeon). This form replaces the series of international documents that were necessary to prove that the pet had been vaccinated against rabies. For identification purposes the pet needs to have a chip or a tattoo. Sweden, Great Britain and Ireland demand additional vaccinations against rabies, ticks and tapeworms. Furthermore, a blood test needs to prove that the animal holds a sufficient amount of antibodies against rabies in its blood.
Info: Homepage Foreign Affairs Belgium - Affaires ?trang?res Belgique - Buitenlandse Zaken Belgi? or at your veterinary surgeon, who has delivered the passport.

Be aware that your hotelier could ask you to present this passport.
9.4.1 In general
The presence of an animal has to be announced during the booking procedure. The number of small dogs and cats in the passenger compartment is limited. For transport of pets in the baggage compartment, a fixed rate is applied, payable on booking.
If the presence of the animal was not mentionned on beforehand, the price payable at the airport is increased by an administrative cost of ? 7,50 per animal and per leg.
No small dogs or cats are allowed in the passenger compartment on long haul flights.
A guide dog is always allowed to travel in the passenger compartment, regardless of the weight (with the necessary equipment and not on flights from or to Charleroi). However, it must be kept on a leash and be muzzled.
The rules below only concern flights operated by Jetairfly or Freebird (destination Turkey). As no appropriate cargo hold for pets is available on the aeroplanes of Freebird, only small dogs and cats can be transported in the passenger cabin.
For other airlines the ?Special requests? have to be confirmed. Payment is due at the airport.
9.4.2 Dog or cat not over 6 kg (DGC/CTC)
A limited number of small dogs and cats (1 per passenger, max. 3 per flight) is transported free of charge in the passenger cabin (Except on flights from and to Charleroi).
The animals may be transported in the passenger compartment provided that:
? they are at least 8 weeks old;
? they are transported in a hygienic, watertight bag or basket (total of the dimensions max. 115 cm);
? the animal cannot disturb other passengers in any way;
? female animals are not pregnant.
9.4.3 Dog or cat more than 6 kg (DGH/CTH)
For the transport of pets in the baggage compartment*, a fixed rate of ? 50 par animal and per leg is applied, payable on booking.
The cage must be large enough for them to move without being hampered and be made of plastic or metal.

* Not possible on flights from and to Charleroi

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: Vets is Santiago. Or La Vega...

I don't know, I think that choosing a vet is like choosing your own medical doctor...you need to be there, talk, get to know....see his training, his facility...what is good for my guys, might not be enough for one of those Malinois...

One thing, you need to be ultra careful of ticks here...With 9 dogs of good size you would need a gallon of Frontline or Advantix (not really but close enough@@)...and that can be really expensive.

HB