Will be new to DR - how is the drinking water

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
In reading posts from other threads, I found this quote, " The water that comes from your faucet is for showers and washing only. Do not drink it !!!"

Since I will be moving to Santo Domingo soon, should I buy bottled water for drinking or was this quote wrong?

I know you have a thread for newbies and I am trying to read everything.
Is there anything else that I really, really, need to know before moving in?

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ditto what FireGuy said about drinking water.

Is there anything else that I really, really, need to know before moving in?

Unless you currently live in a noisy neighbourhood and don't even notice it, bring earplugs. You might never need them, parts of SD are very quiet, but if you're in a part which isn't, you'll be glad you did. Good luck and welcome. :)

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Bottled water is widely available and is quite inexpensive. Buy bottled water for drinking and food prep.
Gregg
Many would advise taking that a step further, such as using bottled water for brushing your teeth, etc.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
Bottle Water and dont forget to check the ICE when you go out........or the toilet will be your friend........

Jan 17, 2009
"Bottle Water and dont forget to check the ICE when you go out........or the toilet will be your friend........"

Why check the ICE? Where in the DR is this a problem? No in the North Coast or Santo Domingo that I'm aware of.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
people always say check it and ive seen people fishiing it out of their own drinks with dirty fingers...not actually heard of a case of water in ice being a problem- mind you we have an ice making machine where i worked in the uk and it was quite frightening what builds up in there if its not cleaned regularly- fortunately the ice here is cleaner than at home I think

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I use bottled water for Drinking, Food Prep, and Cooking but we do brush our teeth with the tap water and have never had a problem, Thank God. I do make sure I don't swallow any but I don't think my 6 year old is as careful.
SHALENA

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
the good thing is bottled water is very cheap but you can save even more money by buying the 5 gallon water thats even cheaper. if you're really paranoid you can brush your teeth with it, but really the water here isn't as bad as people make it out to be. there was a thread before about someone being worried of their dog drinking tap water, hello dogs drink toilet water!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Oh, yeah....that's what I meant by bottled water. I meant the big 5 gallon jugs you get from the Colmado, they are like 32-35 pesos (including delivery) when you return the old drum when you get a new one.
SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Water & Dominicans

I asked the man who does my property whether he drinks from the tap - definitely not !

Our water comes down from ariba into our cistern. Sometimes I brush my teeth with it but miesposa and I got giardhia (sp?) somewhere.
I'm told that it never goes away - just slows down sometime for a period- yuk!

I make ice from the 5 gallon jug. Our kitchen water is filtered but , again, miesposa won't trust it. Bleach in the H2O for vegetable washing !!

Safety first :)) Buy bottled water until your system acts up.

B

BettyDiamond

is it enough to shake your lettuce or should one leave it out to dry

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
If you need to drink tap water and not sure about quality put 6 -8 drops of regular cleaning chlorine per gallon of water. This procedure will desifect the water and you can drink it.Another think you can do is to boil the water for 1 minute to kill all patogens.

I learned this after going to a few hurracanes in FL.

hope this helps,