Larimar in Bavaro?

chambersd

Jul 18, 2009
Having been to the Dr the last 2 years and returning again Dec 01 for 2 weeks I have finally decided to check out Larimar jewlery. I will be staying at the Bavaro Princess All Suites resort and would like to hear from those more experianced than me (everybody else) . Suggestions on where to shop, prices on items you have purchased, what I should look for re. quality, quality of silver settings etc. Any and all help is appreciated:confused:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you probably need to see and feel some real stuff to get a proper feel for it- but if you like something and you like the price and you arent going to sell it to anyone, I suppose it doesnt matter what its made of-buy something you really like and tell everyone its the real thing lol

its a polished stone so there should be no lacquer on it to keep the dye on lol

chambersd

Jul 18, 2009
Is there much fake stuff being peddled around? I would have thought I would have to be more concerned about poor quality silver in the settings.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
yes theres loads of fake stuff about, dont know if there is a Harrisons jewellers in bavaro, but thats one of the places where its genuine

Lauren Cornford

Jun 12, 2009
Don't buy from the resort or any of the other gift shops on the beach or around the hotel - they will be stupidly over priced.

The way the stone works in terms of price is it's all done on weight, the heavier the piece the more it will set you back. Don't let people fob you off with "the darker the stone, the better the quality". It comes in all different shades and we buy from 2 jewellers, neither of whom differenciate in terms of price on the shade of the stone. If you can get a 2 tone stone with split colour, they're a little more unusal and are quite interesting.
Make sure the silver plating is actually silver and has the stamp, and also check the settings and clasps thoroughly as some of the silver over here is crap. I believe an average seller will try and charge you about 95 pesos per gram for the stone......

I deal with a lot of Larimar as I have a shop in Uvero Alto myself. Let me know if you need anything else.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for Larimar and Amber, and btw she has also her own cigar brand, i would recommend to visit Susanne's shop actually still located at Los Corales, october 1st she will be at the Plaza Brizas between Plaza Bavaro and Friusa, a few minutes from all bavaro hotels, she offers free transportation anyways.
very reasonable priced jewlery, made by herself, she speaks more languages than i can count, including english of course.
i heard she will have a website running soon, too.
will post that here when i get the address or more info.
have fun
Mike

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I can show you some examples of real vs. what might be sold as real, as well as a sampling of settings and a bit of a price guideline if you're interested. Send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

Kaki
kaki.ulan@sasktel.net

chambersd

Jul 18, 2009
Don't buy from the resort or any of the other gift shops on the beach or around the hotel - they will be stupidly over priced.

The way the stone works in terms of price is it's all done on weight, the heavier the piece the more it will set you back. Don't let people fob you off with "the darker the stone, the better the quality". It comes in all different shades and we buy from 2 jewellers, neither of whom differenciate in terms of price on the shade of the stone. If you can get a 2 tone stone with split colour, they're a little more unusal and are quite interesting.
Make sure the silver plating is actually silver and has the stamp, and also check the settings and clasps thoroughly as some of the silver over here is crap. I believe an average seller will try and charge you about 95 pesos per gram for the stone......

I deal with a lot of Larimar as I have a shop in Uvero Alto myself. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for the info Lauren...much appreciated.

chambersd

Jul 18, 2009
for Larimar and Amber, and btw she has also her own cigar brand, i would recommend to visit Susanne's shop actually still located at Los Corales, october 1st she will be at the Plaza Brizas between Plaza Bavaro and Friusa, a few minutes from all bavaro hotels, she offers free transportation anyways.
very reasonable priced jewlery, made by herself, she speaks more languages than i can count, including english of course.
i heard she will have a website running soon, too.
will post that here when i get the address or more info.
have fun
Mike

Thanks Mike. I knew about the cigars but wasn't aware of the jewelery as well. Doing a tour with PCMike and I assume he knows where these locations are.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thanks Mike. I knew about the cigars but wasn't aware of the jewelery as well. Doing a tour with PCMike and I assume he knows where these locations are.

it is not a stop on his tour.
but just tell him to drop me a call and i will guide him.
please keep in mind, if you book a tour as walk ons together with other customers, then PCMike has a fix shedule/route and can not do extra stops everywhere for each single group members. if you do the tour with him as a "Charter" with no other people in your group, then sure he is flexibel on such.
have fun on our lovely Isle
Mike