In car documents

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Would somebody please tell what documents should be carried in the car for production to the Police. i got stopped by a policeman last Thursday in SD who said I would have to pay a fine a) because our daughter was sitting on my wife?s knee on the front seat and b) because I could not produce any documents except my driving licence. My Spanish is improving but the only document I understood him making a fuss about was proof of insurance. We would have a fine of RD$1600 for each offence and the car would be impounded until one of us went to Las Terrenas to fetch the insurance. My Dominican wife and he talked at length about every thing under the sun and eventually the policeman said that if we would pay him the RDS3200 he?d let us go and show us the way to the Autovia!! Guess what we did?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stupid!!!
Insurance
Registration
Inspection
License

that is all and you should know that.. In the states that is what you have to have, right???? So why not here???

Make photo copies of the original documents...have them plasticized and ready for presentation.

Oh yeah, NEVER< EVER > STOP for gray uniformed cops....Unless you are i n a very crowded area...then you look for the top officer and ask what's up...A possible exception is if they are doing breathalyzer tests and you see the big mess ahead...

The phuckin thieves need to be shot on the spot!!

HB

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFisher

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Hillbilly - Couldn't there be any additional sort of trouble or fines you could incur by not stopping for them??

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Is Granca from the states? In the UK you don't have to carry any documents in the car. You should have your insurance details in case of an accident but if you are stopped by the police you just have to produce them at your local station within, i believe, 3 days.
I know that we are not in the UK and Hillbilly is correct with the list and I agree with him about carrying copies although I believe the license should be the original.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless they are actually point guns at you as at a major Police Checkpoint, say looking for some specific persons, there is no reason to stop for the gray uniformed police. They are no longer charged with traffic duty. That is the sole duty of the AMET.
If this was an AMET (green uniforms and Smokey the Bear hats) and he asked and took a bribe, a trip with his name and badge number to the local AMET office will get his axx booted and put into custody...They do not take or ask for bribes...

Photocopy the License at a colorcopier and have it plasticized!!

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thank you Hillbilly and Black Dog. i am from the UK where the procedure is as Black Dog stated, to me a much more civilised system particularly if the car gets stolen. Unfortunately we were in the middle of Duarte having got thoroughly lost, traveling at snails pace, and until your post Hillbilly I did not know one type of police from another, what with Polica National, Politur, Guardia now I learn that the city police are divided into two types, anyway this one had a smokey bear hat. One item I did not understand was "inspection" is that a bit like the UK MOT test certificate which you have to have once a vehicle is over 3 years old? Mind you over 50% of the vehicles here would never pass the test! I don?t think "stupid" is the best description, ignorant maybe.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry for that....should have been slower to pull the trigger. I did not realize that you were still innocent.
Did you get a name>? that was an AMET and should not have been asking for money...
Yes, you are supposed to have an inspection sticker (they can be purchased pretty easily. but they cost just a few pesos at BanReservas.

He was being nasty and should have given you a chance...

Here in Santiago, fines are just 1350 pesos I heard...

Sorry...

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
To carry:

1. Vehicle registration (which is also the deed), Photostatic OK (nobody carries the original). OR Rental contract.
  2. CURRENT (date) Insurance card. ORIGINAL. May be plastified as HB suggests.
  3. Valid driver's license. ORIGINAL.
  4. It would be good have a photocopy of your passport and contact information in your vehicle.
  5. I always keep a little handout cash in SMALL bills hidden handy for handouts.
  6. If you carry a fire arm, you'd better have a VALID and CURRENT permit for it to YOUR name, or the 3000 Peso hand out won't be enough to keep you from being careful not to drop the soap in the shower.
  7. And you are NOT to carry kids in front on anybody's laps. The use of seat belts is mandatory. Minors are not to sit in front. No cell phone talking while driving. No drinking (alcohol) while driving and even no drunk driving (really!)... and so forth.
This may be the 3rd world etc... but laws still apply... at times... to some (of us).

... J-D.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
No I did not get a name nor number, to be honest I was so shocked and taken aback and became worried about how on earth I would organise one of us going back to LT and what to do with a 2 1\2 year old that I grabbed the chance to get out of there. Does BanReservas actually give you an Inspection certificate or where do I go for one of those?
Thanks too JD Sauser, at the moment I have the originals in the car but I will get the laminated colour photocopies organised this week.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the inspection certificate can be purchased at banco reservas for 45pesos.
actually they have none available(at least not at the 3 offices here in bavaro/pc, last time i asked been around 10 days ago, haven't the actual one neither, explanation from banco de reservas been: hand out stopped til new advisory due to modifications they do on the paper, they have no idea how long such will last, lol).
with the documentation i agree with J.D.,
insurance and drivers license have to be the originals, but hey, color printer copies in the plastic don't look different, use 'em myself, lol.
HB,
no need to apologize i guess,
from a bordmember since a couple years i wouldn't have awaited a virgin neither, surprise.
Granca,
aside of any good or stu.. law or what ever rule:
don't you never ever again seat a 2 1/2 year ole on anybody's knees nor alone on the front seat.
kids have to seat in the back for their safety's sake and they have to wear a seatbelt or to sit in a child's car seat for their safety's sake.
it his hard to swallow for me to read that a educated european drives around on st dgo's roads with a 2 1/2 year ole kid on the killer-jumpseat. 100% irresponsible, the cop should have taken more bribe money to teach ya a lesson.
i don't try to attack you,
but i am not kidding on the seatbelt/kids/carseat point.

in case of the 'bribe' deal you agreed to with a corrupt Amet,
depends on what you really have.
if your car has insurance and you have a dominican drivers license even when the car has not revista sticker on, then it was a high rate with a huge tip included.You should have recommended to the cop to drive to the station and clear that thingy.

if you have all those proper documents in your posession/at home/at the office, then you made a great deal and saved yourself big hassle.

get your stuff done soon.
that info is on here on the DR1 bord since august 2007, lol
Mike

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
kids in front seats

Thanks mike, admonition merited and accepted, I hope with good grace. I''m having some problems finding here in LT somewhere that both does colour photocopies and laminating , so far only copies and for laminating then send to SD. One more to try before doing the above. The trouble was that we got somewhat lazy with the non inspection of nothing here in LT, ever since the police chief had a 10 year old daughter and she was allowed to drive a pasola, and sitting on her Mum's knee gave us peace and quiet! Sometimes I think I know quite a lot and then discover its b....r all. I'll try BanReservas manana.