Water

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
I have visited the DR a couple of times before or a short period of time but will in a few weeks be staying for 6 months. I know already that the water is a no-no, I know not to drink it and clean my teeth in it and the such, but the family I will be staying with has a river outside their house. They live in Los Quermados, and the river is the river Uni- or yuni (not too sure of the exact spelling) Is this river safe for to even touch. I cant swim soo I will not be getting my face or full body in the river buyt I would like to know if I can even paddle with my feet in it???

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If there are people living up river, ASS-U-ME it has human waste in it, at the very least. Few people have proper septic tanks. I guess putting your feet in could not hurt, if you have no cuts.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Just to clarify tap water is ok to brush your teeth with - its a good way to gradually let your body adjust to local bacteria.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Would you suggest a new resident start brushing their teeth with tap water immediately at all times or gradually begin brushing with the tap water?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Unless the water is brown, or said person has troubles in that they swallow water while brushing, I don't see the problem. It's very minimal exposure, I've done it in several countries, never had any problems. Most seasoned travellers I know do the same.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Ok great. Thank you. I'll be sure to brush with tap water upon arrival. I've never been one to have stomach problems *knocks on wood*

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
What you do want to watch out for are raw fruits and veggies, salads and things of the sort. If they are peeled, they should be good - but any salad that hasn't been prepped by someone reputable, I'd avoid. If someone you know says that they are cleaned well go for it - but not within the first few days.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you live in a house and you have access to you cisterna you have less worries, just put chloro and other chemicals in water and it will be safe for washing veggies and brushing teeth.
i never brushed my teeth in bottled water, suffered lots of stomach problems in the beginning but no bugs or bacterias in the last 8 months or so.
re: river water. dominicans may swim in it and live but for a gringo it's a different case. i swam in rivers in the jungle but never close to the city, water is nasty. if your family goes for a swim upstream i think you can have a go at it too...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
not too sure about the theory of gradually getting used to bacteria- although my grannies cupboard was a biologists dream- every bacteria known to science was in there- she called it penicillin

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
cistern

City water pumps into our cistern where the water is stored, so the chloro addition is very useful. they city of pop only pumps water to our place a couple of times a week.