Firearms, 10mm

May 5, 2007
Question: I currently have a "permit" to Carry in DR but it was obtained by a Military "friend" and I sometimes worry that it could be invalidated as easily as it was obtained

Does anyone know if the 10 mm is legal in the DR? (I ask about specific cartridge as it appears the carry license goes with each weapon)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Do not under any circumstances leave the house with that weapon. It is illegal!

The penalty for illegal gun possession is severe, especially for a gringo.

If you were stopped by J2/G2 and asked to declare your weapon and you showed it along with your fake permit, you might get lucky and get away with it, however as windeguy points out nothing bigger than a 9mm is allowed. This may raise suspicion and they might decide to do a check on their database.

Then you are in serious trouble!

The only way to get a permit that is valid, is to go to Santo Dominigo and jump through all their hoops ie, dope test, psych test, shooting test, police report etc. And you have to be a permanent resident, and your residency registered with JCE.

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
9mm is the largest allowed for a handgun, so that means you could have a .357magnum.

What about rifles, or other 'long' guns? Could I have a 12ga semi-auto shotgun?

May 5, 2007
Thanks for your help

Hi Windeguy

Do you have a link or advice where I could read just what is allowed/disallowed for weapons?

Thanks

I would be very concerned that your license is legal now. Do you renew it every year by paying a fee at BanReservas?

Indeed, each license goes with a specific firearm (or firearms).

The largest caliber that can be owned by a civilian here is a 9mm.

May 5, 2007
Thank you for your opinion

Really, what did you see on my license that makes you think it is "illegal" I wasn't aware you inspected it, but what do I know

The General who assisted in my obtaining it assured me it was legitimate, but I personally would prefer to "jump through the hoops" that everyone else does just to follow the law and feel better about it

I have been to the range in Santiago, used it at San Ysidro AB, used it in the back yard of General C _________without being arrested, can you explain that? The license lists the .454 Casul, serial number, my name etc. It also has a place for "patron" for whatever that implies.

The revolver is inspected each and every time I land at Santiago, often by several agencies.

No offense, but after your ineptitude in the question regarding airlines I am hesitant to commit to anything on your advice alone

I will immediately report to general C______ that he is engaging in illegal license and arms per your order, he is sure to be impressed

The permit may be 100% legal, I don't know but the way regimes change in the DR I just feel better having a license the old fashioned way, then again who ever knows for sure what is legal in the DR?

I did ask for answers, but your jumping to conclusion doesn't really help in my quest for obtaining another license

That prompts another question: How many weapons may one person own with separate licenses for each?

Do not under any circumstances leave the house with that weapon. It is illegal!

The penalty for illegal gun possession is severe, especially for a gringo.

If you were stopped by J2/G2 and asked to declare your weapon and you showed it along with your fake permit, you might get lucky and get away with it, however as windeguy points out nothing bigger than a 9mm is allowed. This may raise suspicion and they might decide to do a check on their database.

Then you are in serious trouble!

The only way to get a permit that is valid, is to go to Santo Dominigo and jump through all their hoops ie, dope test, psych test, shooting test, police report etc. And you have to be a permanent resident, and your residency registered with JCE.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the 10mm are rare,
but they are legal to be owned by private persons, like the 9mm.
i don't know about 10mm revolvers, sorry, never had one in my hand,
the only 10mm firearm i posessed and used been a HK MP10 and that due of duty, would not be a allowed private men firearm here or nowhere else i guess.
what i find a bit 'weird' is your writing "you got the license throu a military friend'.
i wear a batch myself down here and get my firearms switched and licenses renewed always throu 'military friends',
but one is always the same:
for my private gun, actually a Taurus 380,
with my private permits to own it and the additional permit to carry it,
i ALWAYS have to present myself in person in st dgo.
that's of course just for the new ownership,
permission renewals can today be done at every office of Banco de Reservas, no more travels to the Capital City.
but when purchasing a firearm for a private permission,
there's no way around to be present in person at the office of the secretary of interior&police, including that the prior owner of that firearm has to be present ther in person, too, to sign the papers of responsibility for that gun away.

you been talking in the prior post about you carrying that gun throu airport security,
so i 'assume' you also carry the valid Fed batch from both sides of the flight,
a private person and neither i.e. a simple US Cop would be allowed to do so, it would be completely illegal.
if you never showed up yourself in st dgo at the secretary of interior&police for that permit and you talk about a private gun permit, then i have my doubts about it's legit.
if you are talking about a officers weapon on a "permiso official",
that would be something completely different,
those i switch and renew aso aso aso by phonecalls.
but the private one,
no way.
scan and copy here your permit,
i will let you know quickly what it is worth.
no prob if you wanna send me a copy on my e-mail or PM,
i do the same check,
but please keep in mind that in case it comes out illegal i WILL report it, too.
"Military friends" is a very common phrase on the Isle.
heck,
we call my son's lil 6 years ole cousin "la Guardia",
b/c he wanna be exactly that when older,
b/c he ""knows"" that they always have money and Gals.
darn,
he's really just 6.
i guess i have some work ahead of me on that part of the family, lol.
Mike

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
No offense taken!

I was just offering sensible advice. I knew of someone who also got a "mail order license" through their pet General and it landed him in a whole world of trouble. If you want to take your gun out in public, please be my guest.

Just a couple of questions though. How long have you had the license? Have you ever renewed it through Banco Reservas?

May 5, 2007
Thanks NYPD

Thank You Patrick (If I may call you that, you are highly "recommended")

You have explained my situation clearly but this time I wished to obtain the license through due process (For the Glock 29)

I have never thought or asked about the ID, I will do so upon next trip

Sean

Military and police licenses do not have to renewed every year. Your 10mm is perfectly legal so dont worry about it. Did your General also get you a military or police ID? If not you should inquire about that.It goes a long way when being questioned.

May 5, 2007
Mike

Thank you for explaining how it has worked for you, I think I will NOT scan and post my details on this board for review, but thanks for the offer of examining it

the 10mm are rare,
but they are legal to be owned by private persons, like the 9mm.
i don't know about 10mm revolvers, sorry, never had one in my hand,
the only 10mm firearm i posessed and used been a HK MP10 and that due of duty, would not be a allowed private men firearm here or nowhere else i guess.
what i find a bit 'weird' is your writing "you got the license throu a military friend'.
i wear a batch myself down here and get my firearms switched and licenses renewed always throu 'military friends',
but one is always the same:
for my private gun, actually a Taurus 380,
with my private permits to own it and the additional permit to carry it,
i ALWAYS have to present myself in person in st dgo.
that's of course just for the new ownership,
permission renewals can today be done at every office of Banco de Reservas, no more travels to the Capital City.
but when purchasing a firearm for a private permission,
there's no way around to be present in person at the office of the secretary of interior&police, including that the prior owner of that firearm has to be present ther in person, too, to sign the papers of responsibility for that gun away.

you been talking in the prior post about you carrying that gun throu airport security,
so i 'assume' you also carry the valid Fed batch from both sides of the flight,
a private person and neither i.e. a simple US Cop would be allowed to do so, it would be completely illegal.
if you never showed up yourself in st dgo at the secretary of interior&police for that permit and you talk about a private gun permit, then i have my doubts about it's legit.
if you are talking about a officers weapon on a "permiso official",
that would be something completely different,
those i switch and renew aso aso aso by phonecalls.
but the private one,
no way.
scan and copy here your permit,
i will let you know quickly what it is worth.
no prob if you wanna send me a copy on my e-mail or PM,
i do the same check,
but please keep in mind that in case it comes out illegal i WILL report it, too.
"Military friends" is a very common phrase on the Isle.
heck,
we call my son's lil 6 years ole cousin "la Guardia",
b/c he wanna be exactly that when older,
b/c he ""knows"" that they always have money and Gals.
darn,
he's really just 6.
i guess i have some work ahead of me on that part of the family, lol.
Mike

May 5, 2007
Your reply came on rather strong with a lot of assumptions, that provoked my rather verbose answer

No, it is less than one year so I have yet to renew it but the "Issuing authority" advised to simply let him know when it was due to expire and he would take care of it? If there is a cost for these documents I have yet to pay that either.

This thread was not about my previous and current permit/license, but about LEGALLY obtaining one (permit)for a Glock 29 (Dam* .454 is just too bulky with tropical wear), wanting to be certain I was complying with all local laws and customs less I again incur the wrath of LadyBird :-(

No offense taken!

I was just offering sensible advice. I knew of someone who also got a "mail order license" through their pet General and it landed him in a whole world of trouble. If you want to take your gun out in public, please be my guest.

Just a couple of questions though. How long have you had the license? Have you ever renewed it through Banco Reservas?

May 5, 2007
Where I have aproblem

Hi Windeguy

I realize I did ask for help, and you are offering your assistance, but what I am asking is where you gather your knowledge about

I don't know of a web site regarding the list of firearms, but I am aware of this much. It is pretty simple. Civilians can have hand guns up to 9mm. Civilians cannot own rifles, but they can own shotguns, including semi-automatic shotguns.

I.

No offense, but is your awareness from experience, personal involvement or experience as you don't have any information regarding official policy?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Your reply came on rather strong with a lot of assumptions, that provoked my rather verbose answer

No, it is less than one year so I have yet to renew it but the "Issuing authority" advised to simply let him know when it was due to expire and he would take care of it? If there is a cost for these documents I have yet to pay that either.

This thread was not about my previous and current permit/license, but about LEGALLY obtaining one (permit)for a Glock 29 (Dam* .454 is just too bulky with tropical wear), wanting to be certain I was complying with all local laws and customs less I again incur the wrath of LadyBird :-(

If you haven't renewed yet and your sources advise you that it will be dealt with in-house, then I suspect that it is not legit. You probably have the carnet that was printed off at the same place where everyone else's was, but you are not in the system. The guy in the print room probably makes a pretty good kickback from all the favours he does for all his Generals!

As I said before G2/J2 have a facility to check permits against the database if they suspect foul play. Your General's business card might smooth things over, or it could make things worse if another General gets involved. It really isn't worth risking as the penalties are extreme. I personally don't feel the need to take my gun out in public. I just like the peace of mind of having it at home. Although I do enjoy taking it to the Heptagono in Santiago every once in a while. You say that you've been there. Speak to owner. He is very well connected, speaks perfect English and can give you all the advice you need to get a legal permit. Do you have full residency?

I was not aware that military personnel didn't have to renew theirs. But if you have a military license and you are not military, then I would suggest that could also be cause for concern. Your pet General might not always be available to bail you out if you get caught. And bear in mind that this country has more Generals than the entire NATO force put together!

I have a compact Bersa MiniThunder 9mm. Small, lightweight and reasonably priced. That is over two thousand dollars though! But it's probably the cheapest gun here!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
damn,
now my longer post to answer the Q's been gone, darn 'puter.
here i try again.
due to your mentioning of airport and customs in prior posts,
i assume you may be trying to import a firearm with the help of the general,
such would be since summer 2006 completely illegal.
we have since then a stop of imports of any firearms,
the mainreason why the available used ones cost here several times more than the same brand/model in the US brand new would cost.
right Beeza,
a 9mm in top condition for 2KUS$ is a great deal.

an other point which makes me a bit 'suspicious' is them mentioning of renewing inhouse without money asked.
a renewal is not big deal, costs much less than 200US$ per year for both permits, the possession permit and the carry around permit.
both need to be carried around with the gun.
renewals can be very easy and completely hassle free done at any office of Banco de Reservas, present everywhere on the island. the new permit cards get delivered right to the same office where the renewal taxes been paid, usually within less than 15 days after the tax been paid.

the 2 permits for a private person look like this:
713_gun_permits0001.jpg

716_gun_permits0002.jpg

for private persons there will not be a 2nd carry permit issued for a 2nd firearm, it is limited to permit to carry around only 1 specific firearm for private persons.
a gun permit, for posession or to carry the gun, can not be issued to foreigners without a PERMANENT renewed residency, that is the first basic requisit to apply for a gun permit.
only exceptions are temporarily in the country working foreign police or armed forces members, there are also exceptions in some cases of diplomatic corps members, but not for private persons.

the official permit allows to carry any gun, is not restricted to a specific gun.
the official permit gets renewed every 2 years, but i also saw different variations on this, so in case of the official permit i don't know what is usual, and what is why excepted, maybe it depends who and under which circumstances a official license is issued to a 'non FFAA Member'. to obtain the official permit a training seminar has to be done to apply for a official permit.
hope that asks the Q's,
anything left, just ask
Mike

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've noticed many other threads in regards to possessing a higher caliber firearm to the 9mm, which is the maximum caliber allowable to civilians.

I would like to state that 95% of the time when you are using your gun, "Caliber doesn't really matter", it's about shot placement and your follow thru, period!!!! Believe me, a properly used 9mm will get the job done everytime. I've seen many shooters depending on that "one shot stop" scenerario. Forget It!! I recommend a 9mm with some high velocity hollow points. Most shooters can comfortably adjust to the 9mm but many can't handle the recoil of a .45

Don't get me wrong, I like the 10mm and other big caliber guns, I own a Kimber 10mm, but I choose to take my Glock to the big dance.

Last edited:
Thank You Patrick (If I may call you that, you are highly "recommended")

You have explained my situation clearly but this time I wished to obtain the license through due process (For the Glock 29)

I have never thought or asked about the ID, I will do so upon next trip

Sean

Basicly you can own a .40 cal or a 10mm but you can only carry a .45 if you are military,plain and simple. I do not currently own a gun in DR but have helped several people obtain their guns with the policia nacional. The people I know get the gun of their choice then register it with the police and are issued a id card from the policia nacional. This permit has to be renewed but it is free or a very small charge to renew. So if you have a general friend he has hooked you up very nicely.
When I eventually get around to getting a firearm in DR I would go for either a Glock 9mm or a glock 40 cal. You definately want to be using hollow points also like Ricardo has previously stated for stopping power.

May 5, 2007
Thanks Patrick

I am sure you re familiar with the 10 mm Auto, in many loadings it's energy far surpassed the .45 ACP

The weapon (10 mm Bren) was specifically designed for the FBI who decided the recoil was too much for some of it's agents and switched to the S&W .40 "Short and Wimpy". The 10 mm Glock 29 is more than ahandful, not a lot of fun for "sport" Shooting, but a viable defense weapon

Despite what Ricardo states, many instances of well placed 9 mm have failed to "stop" a perpetrator immediately, hardly an issue with the 10 mm and especially the .454

Yes, shot placement is critical but that is not an issue I dwell on as practice does make a better shooter. 200 rounds a week have kept me fairly accurate and a once or twice per year (Jeff Coopers course) combat pistol course

The 9 mm is a fine weapon, it is a NATO designed round for "humane" warfare but lacks the knockdown and immediate "stopping ability" of either of the aforementioned weapons, and by design causes less of a wound canal. People are stopped by "shock," Massive loss of blood and teh 10 and 454 cause that

Many many police agencies and SPECOPS Teams (SEALS, RANGERS, SAS, FBI HRT) use the .45 both for stopping power and it's low velocity and non penetrating nature. Most of these agencies started out with 9 mm and found them not suitable, not that I am on a SPECOPS mission but I certainly respect their advice

No question a 9 mm will stop anyone with a well placed head shot, it will not always cause immediate cessation of function with a well placed torso hit, the 10 mm and 454 certainly will

Personally, If I could find a handgun chambered in 20 mm I would "like" to Carry it!

Thanks again

Basicly you can own a .40 cal or a 10mm but you can only carry a .45 if you are military,plain and simple. I do not currently own a gun in DR but have helped several people obtain their guns with the policia nacional. The people I know get the gun of their choice then register it with the police and are issued a id card from the policia nacional. This permit has to be renewed but it is free or a very small charge to renew. So if you have a general friend he has hooked you up very nicely.
When I eventually get around to getting a firearm in DR I would go for either a Glock 9mm or a glock 40 cal. You definately want to be using hollow points also like Ricardo has previously stated for stopping power.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Since it is illegal to import your own guns and ammo into the DR, what is the current cost to shoot 200 rounds of 10mm (or even 9mm ammo) in the DR?

Is 10mm ammo readily available here?

Don't know about 10mm but when I go to the range in Santiago, the Heptagono, I usually squeeze off 200 a visit. They refill their own cases so a box of 50 9mm costs 400 pesos. I must have fired at least 3000 by now and I can only remember having three stoppages. The rounds that I have at home are Magtech. And a box of 50 cost me about 2000 pesos. Although I haven't had the need to use them, (thankfully) and they are a couple of years old now so maybe the price has risen since.

May 5, 2007
No idea of cost in the DR, but 10 mm ammo is very expensive as it is a rare round, I pay about $40.00 per box of 50 (through a buying club)

I use reloaded ammo for practice

9 mm I get free (Ball ammo)

I am still unsure about the "legality" of the 10 mm in DR (PART OF MY ORIGINAL QUESTION) and would also be interested in cost of ammo

Since it is illegal to import your own guns and ammo into the DR, what is the current cost to shoot 200 rounds of 10mm (or even 9mm ammo) in the DR?

Is 10mm ammo readily available here?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I have been following the OP and the answers for some time now, and I must say that I'm impressed with the amount of information that seems to contradict one another posted here.

First of all, I'm a Dominican citizen by birth. I have a concealed M1911A1 "M15" .45 pistol. I got the gun from my earlier this year deceased father, who had it for quite a long time since the early 80's. The conceal permit only allows one (1) single weapon to be designated as the concealed gun to be carried, even if you have several weapons as I do.

Possession of a caliber higher than 9mm is not illegal or banned by private citizens, yet this only applies in certain circumstances ONLY. One of those is when the weapon was already licensed to another person in the first place (most of the time to a military/police/official background) or, and, if the licensed is vetted by certain high ranking officers within the active service. Once the officer that vetted such gun caliber to be licensed to a civilian departs the ranks or is put into retirement, the licensed is revoked on the next expiration/renewal date.

A good 99% of gun permits for civilians in the DR are bracketed to ownership of calibers not greater than 9mm. If you have a weapon of higher caliber with a permit of tenencia or porte, odds are YOU fall within the above described exceptions to the rules.

I have a military background, both personal and family. However with this being said, rules are going to change in the coming years for ownership for weapons like mine and under my circumstances. No longer would I be able to sell or gift my out of rules gun, to any person including family members (my son).

To the OP original question about the legality of his gun and permit:
Yes your gun is legal in your hands only, for as long that permit is active only. The reason your general buddy asked you to let him know when the permit is due for renewal, is simply because he must personally undergo the vetting process under his active authority.

If you try to go and seek a civilian permit (as in not from your buddy) from interior y policia, the gun will be confiscated and your permit revoked on the spot.

My father (who died earlier this year) had a Tommy gun in his safe, with a special permit to own the gun. I (being well versed and positioned within the military of the DR) tried to transfer the gun's ownership to my possession, only to have to surrender the weapon in person to a higher ranking officer from the military. Not even the Police is cleared enough to handle such type of weapons.

The gun was a gift, from long gone Gen. Neit Nivar Seijas' extended military gun collection. Other weapons I was able to transfer possession of, but the Tommy.

It might sound odd that I'm licensed to carry a concealed official issue .45 semi auto gun, yet denied to own a piece of gun history like a .45 caliber Tommy Gun...

That should give you an idea of how informal the gun licensing process can be in the DR.

Enjoy your handgun and aid from your buddy for as long as it may last for you. Don't ask too many questions, because you're creating something of a problem for your well meaning buddy here.