why so low salary for this position?

elzorro

Apr 17, 2009
I live in santo domingo i been looking for work here in DR.
I recently had an interview for an american company in la zona franca, I have perfect english, graduated from an American University and have experience in marketing and retail. but i was surprise to know what was offererd to me for a customer service position at a manucfaturing plant, I would be a assistant of the customer service rep. they would only pay me 19000 thousand a month i find it really low really low for the responsabilities I would take Do you think thats the fair salary for this position? I was expecting more let say no less than 28k a month......

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I'm not 100% up on the salary for that sort of job, but you would make more teaching English for sure then that!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
19k sounds about right to me for starters. you mentioned that you will be "assistant", right? i just wanted to remind you that in DR even a manager may make less than 1k dollars a month. and zona franca does pay the highest salaries, unfortunately...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
19k sounds about right to me for starters. you mentioned that you will be "assistant", right? i just wanted to remind you that in DR even a manager may make less than 1k dollars a month. and zona franca does pay the highest salaries, unfortunately...

right,
for a beginner with no real decades experience proofed the 19K aound even very steep to me, great offer
congrats
grab it
Mike

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
It's called "starting at the bottom and working your way up", something that us older folks understand.

Take the job, show them your best efforts every day, and you'll be making a lot more in very short time, either in that job, or in another place that values hard working people.

Pick your jobs carefully, you don't want to be jumping from one job to the next. Any resume I see that has 5 jobs in the last 5 years goes straight to the garbage, and I ain't the only one that thinks like that.

Good advice JD! I don't do much employing here but did masses in the UK and, as you say, too many jobs and it goes straight to "file 13"

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I recently had an interview for an american company in la zona franca, I have perfect english, graduated from an American University and have experience in marketing and retail. ...

First of all, and in no way intended to belittle your language skills, English is a language many here do speak.
Experience in marketing and retail... that's what most claim to have here too.
American and other foreign companies are here to take advantage of low salaries. They also expect lower quality or productivity, given the lower education grade.

As others suggested, you may want to try a company where you DO SEE an upward potential once you would manage to proove yourself.

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But the REASON the salaries are so loow is because there are qualified applicants who WILL work for that money.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You never know where a job in the Zona Franca might lead. Our Dominican niece graduated with an engineering degree and took an OK job in Zona Franca. Her English is perfect too. They saw what she could do, and she moved up quickly, and they ended up moving her to the US with a salary close to 6 figures, plus car, housing allowance, the whole 9 yards, including her green card. She's truly got the best of both worlds, because they have her flying back to SD every couple of months on their dime.

You have to pay your dues when you're starting out.

elzorro

Apr 17, 2009
well the only reason I think I find it low is because I have a permanent extra income of 25000 a month here in Dominican, so I think that I would not get up and go to work for less than that, I still like the position.

well the only reason I think I find it low is because I have a permanent extra income of 25000 a month here in Dominican, so I think that I would not get up and go to work for less than that, I still like the position.

So get up and head on over to the local colmado and play dominoes all day and drink brugal and presidentes all day and enjoy your 25,000 pesos a month.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why would that be impossible? What about rental income, estate, trust funds, family foundations?

He's talking about the phrase "in Dominican" not being possible since it refers to a person not the country. You know, the usual ;)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I recently had an interview for an american company in la zona franca, I have perfect english, graduated from an American University and have experience in marketing and retail. but i was surprise to know what was offererd to me for a customer service position at a manucfaturing plant, I would be a assistant of the customer service rep. they would only pay me 19000 thousand a month i find it really low really low for the responsabilities I would take Do you think thats the fair salary for this position? I was expecting more let say no less than 28k a month......

That's the way things are. I have well qualified family members (Bachelors and Masters degrees) earning 15,000 a month.

elzorro

Apr 17, 2009
well all I will say is that my extra income is 25 k a month, but I went to school and I do NOT want to stock my career....but that is perfect for my lifestyle.