Cost of living- breakdown

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009

Hello everyone,

I read with interest, another thread about the cost of living, however the feedback highlighted a great variance of what someone needs to survive, and is obviously subjective to the standard of living.

I wonder if those experienced posters would mind giving a breakdown as to income and expenditure, so that 'newbies' coming to the island to live can get a better of idea of where they 'fit' in with regards to budgeting.

For example, I hope to be a teacher and been told the average salary is around US$1,000 per month. Some say, the minimum you'd need to live on, is $1,000 per month and doing away with a lot of creature comforts..?

Without asking too much personal info, could people post an example financial breakdown, for different life-styles, salaries, etc? I think it would be really helpful to a lot of people.

E.G:
Income= 'x'
Transport p/m = 'x'
Form of transport
Insurances
Food bill per month = 'x'
Entertainment/restaurant frequency and cost
Etc...
Utilities= '$ x'
High usage/low usage of electric, etc

Anything else that you would include in a household budget.

Please note, I am not asking anybody to divulge any personal finance details they are not comfortable with giving, just figures to represent the cost of a preferred lifestyle... Why do you need $2500 or $500 to live in the DR??

I hope some of you can help, as I'm making a lot of guesses at the mo!!

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Another question?

A little more info please? Are you coming alone, so a one bedroom or studio would be acceptable? Would you like to rent a furnished or unfurnished apt. Unfurnished obviously are cheaper per month, but you have a bigger initial outlay because you have to furnish the apt. Or would you need more room. That also goes into the equation as far as food, would you be shopping for one?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The breakdown of living expenses has been covered here multiple times. I suggest trying the "search" function and hopefully you will get a better idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I doubt you can make $1,000 US as a teacher, maybe 15,000 Pesos, which is around 420 dollars...

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
If you are working at a credible International school, you might make close to $1000, any other private school you will be making half of that, and most likely you will be paid in pesos (around 15,000-20,000 pesos)

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
hi,

To answer your question, I am a single girl moving to the DR independently and so a furnished apartment would be ideal., and would be catering for one person. Obviously, I understand rent is dependent upon area, but it is hard to comment on where as this is dependent upon the location of the school. I would like to work for a reputable independent school, but we'll see... I like the North Coast/Puerto Plata area...

I did look on the cost of living thread, but found pages of people saying you need anything from $500 per month, to $3500, with out any real qualification as to WHY??? There are some vague comments about cost of electric, but is that rough figure based on 4 people, high/low useage, etc? I'm just trying to get a fairly good idea...

For example, I live in the North of England, live in a nice area, have a 2 bed house, rent is ?500 per month. My dad died recently and so I'm currently helping my mum runa post office, of which the salary is ?1000 per month after tax. My utilities, (gas, electric, water and council tax) total ?220 per month. I share my house with a friend so we pay half each for the rent and utilities, (?360 per month each). Food (supermarket) costs ?120 per month, petrol and car insurance costs ?100 per month, etc, (I live close to work).

This is quite a personal statement, and as I said before, I'm not asking anyone to give details of their personal finances they're not comfortable with... Just (even hypothetical) examples...

Also, I'm getting more worried with regards to income- posts saying teachers only earn ?300 per month? What kind of school is this? I looked at ISS, Sosua and
St.John, La Romana, and they state a salary of around $1000 per month, with some schools providing shared accommodation on top of the income??

Any advice you have for me and other newbies is greatly appreciated!!

Please help!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Wide Range

It's just not possible to estimate YOUR costs, too many imponderabilities involved.
Thus the wide range of 1,000 to 3,500 $ is correct.
My experience, however, is that many come here willing to live on "anything" and then just can't.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
In my opinion it wouldn't be easy. At the Int'l school you probably with the right credentials could make about $1,000/month, but Sosua being a tourist town (prices higher), it may be hard to find a reasonably priced furnished apt to fit within your budget. Food is also slightly higher in tourists areas, etc. If you do fit it in, you will probably be living right at the level of your budget and have not too much extra income to play with, ie. go out and enjoy yourself, or in case of an emergency.

But having said all that, I live on the south shore, so it would probably be better to wait for a response from someone who is living in that area now, and would know better what the current prices are.

Good luck!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
International school in juan Dolio (south) pays around 25-30,000 RD$ a month. so about 800 US$. Studio apt is 250 us$ a month. Electric around 500 rd$ a month. Insurance ......none. Transport motoconchos and guagaus say 1000 rd$ a month. food for one say 5000 rd$ a month. Internet is say 3000 RD$ a month if you have a claro dongle. No council tax, no petrol as no car, electric around 700 rd$ a month. Tank of gas which will last a couple of months around 1400 RD$.

You can live on the salary from a good international school but it will not give you anything to fly home or cope with any major medical emergency

matilda

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
absolutely agree on the basic points above,
which states IF you get a teaching job(i assume you did not send around your curriculum, yet, and i assure ya they do not wait desperately for any average english teacher in that poor country to bless them with their presence), the income of a teaching job at a TOP school (IF a TOP school gives you the job due to your TOP prior qualifications) will feed you but the backup money you should have posted at the post office back home with Mom before departing for the new venture.
what is needed for everybody for a monthly income depends completely on what a specific person awaits from life.
some are completely happy with a 1 room all around location with the toilet shared with a dozen neighbours, such is of course much cheaper than living in a nice and fully furniched studio in a beach area. both are suitable for a single Gal, but both are worlds apart from each others in case of "reasonable", depending on expectations.
why some need $500.- and others $3500.- or what so ever higher per month for their living???
just a little example:
i need every month at least $500.- just for the beers, the ones i drink on my own and the ones some friends passing by my place share once in a while.
others use those $500.- to manage a whole month of living including rent and electricity.
so to get answers valid for your person/situation/expectations, you should provide much more details than just the lil mentioning of 'planning to be a teacher at a top private school on the north coast', b/c that just sounds like 'still no plan at all'.
so what's the deatiled plan?
Mike

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
hi,

Also, I'm getting more worried with regards to income- posts saying teachers only earn ?300 per month? What kind of school is this? I looked at ISS, Sosua and
St.John, La Romana, and they state a salary of around $1000 per month, with some schools providing shared accommodation on top of the income??

Any advice you have for me and other newbies is greatly appreciated!!

Please help!

ISS and any other well known and accredited international school will mostly likely only higher a teacher with good references and a few years of teaching experience. I would think it would be quite difficult for a first year teacher to get such a position, especially when the monthly salary is double what any other private school will pay on the island.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
Thank you so much Matilda, thats exactly what I was looking for!!

DonP- as I stated twice in previous posts, I dont want a breakdown of MY specific costs, per se... more a financial breakdown example for a certain wage, for exactly the reason we have both now mentioned, of preventing newbies coming to the DR with an unrealistic expectation of how far their money will go and to what standard of living they can achieve.

Example:
My friend is a (insert occupation) and he lives at home with his wife and 1 yr old daughter/ he is single... E.g. General personal circumstances. His 1-bed house/apartment in (Eg sosua- safe area/ a little dangerous/ very dangerous area) costs 'x'. He does/doesnt have aircon and cooks for one- electric = 'x'... He eats out once a week in a local restaurant- high-class, McDonalds, etc!

I am aware this is quite a specific request, but as both DonP and myself have noted, whereas if you're moving house within your own country, or even another developed one, you can gain info as to what type of house you can afford, an estimate of cost of utilities for an example household, and other aspects I've suggested that we could include as part of a monthly budget.... People come to the DR, expecting too much from the country, (or idealsing what they think they can live on) and return to their native country disillusioned and dejected.
This is sometimes partially as a result of being ill-prepared in terms of what lifestyle they would have, on 'x' US$

I can give anybody an accurate cost of living for the UK- working from an income per month for a given profession. I can give different standards of living depending on how much of your income you want to spend, and what your limitations are... ie housing, how much going out for meals would cost, etc.

This info is invaluable to newbies trying to budget and make an informed decision! Many thanks so far... Do you think we can get some comparisons from you experienced residents?

Thanks again,

Cheryl

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
tink123- this is what I mean about us newbies being naive!! I can only try to get a position.

MikeFisher, you're absolutely right on all points made...

Here's the info you asked for:
1.) come to DR and stay in hotel at Easter whilst 'sussing out' volunteer organisations to help with regards to teching and help the lower classes gain better employment. 2 week 'hol' to do this as I was going to contact a certain lady offering apartments and volunteer work, until I read on DR, what sort of scams she came up with.
2.) volunteer from June- August next year and arrange meetings with schools. As Tink123 pointed out, I will be a 1st year teacher... The volunteering helps with a lot of issues- 1st, I want to help increase education standards, I'll meet new friends and contacts, sample 'living' in the DR- standard of living to vary though, gain some teaching experience, hopefully begin to build a reputation, Etc
3.) If successful at finding a position, begin work. If not, find out what the professional international schools are looking for in terms of qualifications and experience.

As for my qualifications, they are obviously of the UK exam system:
*9 GCSE's, covering all normal school subjects
*7 A-levels (some equivalent qual's to A levels, such as BTEC)
* CELTA/TEFL/ESOL studied awarded by Cambridge University.

I am also starting (this September) an English language and linguistics with literature undergraduate (3 yr degree). If I have real problems gaining employment, worse case scenario, I can complete my degree, visiting every year to volunteer, build friendships and so on?

I hope this post answer your questions, MIkeFisher?

Warm regards,

Cheryl

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
International school in juan Dolio (south) pays around 25-30,000 RD$ a month. so about 800 US$. Studio apt is 250 us$ a month. Electric around 500 rd$ a month. Insurance ......none. Transport motoconchos and guagaus say 1000 rd$ a month. food for one say 5000 rd$ a month. Internet is say 3000 RD$ a month if you have a claro dongle. No council tax, no petrol as no car, electric around 700 rd$ a month. Tank of gas which will last a couple of months around 1400 RD$.

You can live on the salary from a good international school but it will not give you anything to fly home or cope with any major medical emergency

matilda

I agree with what is posted here, except for the internet, I think you could get adequate internet, at a reasonable speed for much less. I have triple play from tri-com and get not only internet, but cable including (HBO), and a home phone for less than 3,000rd.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I agree with what is posted here, except for the internet, I think you could get adequate internet, at a reasonable speed for much less. I have triple play from tri-com and get not only internet, but cable including (HBO), and a home phone for less than 3,000rd.

The tricom example would not count as an average for the whole country b/c as far as I know, triom offer this package only in SD.

But, yes, you can get cheaper (but slower) Internet.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you search around here you will see that lots of places charge up to a US$1000 to volunteer. I know young Brits who have come and done interneships at the OAS or with UNSTRAW and such because it is good for their resume. There are lots of placement opportunities with TESOL schools in other countries in Latin America and Asia doing this sort of thing, teaching and volunteer but since we are such a juicy destination, we don't have that here. As the posters have stated, the teaching on the beach opportunities are going be tight budgets but you can make it for a few years if you want to come.

It will be better if you just ask for your own info since there are scads of this material posted here for all the other newbies.

Cheryl**

Jul 17, 2009
yeah, I know a lot of volunteer groups charge- and not a small amount- to help them, (I started a thread titled Education standards to discuss helping people in poverty get themselves out and also about various aspects of volunteering). I think I might have found someone to help with that.

As for just dealing with my own personal circumstance, I was just trying to set up a thread that many newbies could gain from... But I've given details of my personal needs, so I hope MikeFisher and all you other experienced posters can give your valuable advice. Believe me, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks so much to the posters giving details of costs so far, such as the debate/info re: internet charges... Its good to know the different charges and services for different parts of the island... Every bit of info helps to build a picture of costs...

Thanks again

Cheryl

donP

Dec 14, 2008
List

... Every bit of info helps to build a picture of costs...
Sometimes I think it would also help if a newbie gave us a list of the minimum requirements and conditions they are willing to live in.
Then we could go from there.

Like....
- size of apartment/house, A/C, appliances;
- location;
- food preferences, eating out;
- insurances;
- transport (motoconcho, own vehicle, type, distances/frequencies;
- travel, excursions;
- social life (clothes, preferred beverages, entertaining friends, etc.)
- communication (trunk calls, internet)

I know many a people from Europe here who came in good spirits with high expectations. Some sooner some later have turned into miserable wretches whom everybody tries to avoid because of their constant need for money and because of their scruffy appearance.

Sure, you can live on the cheap, but do you not deserve more?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so here come's a little example:

size of apartment/house, A/C, appliances;2 BR, no A/C, $600.- p.month
- location;Oceanfront
- food preferences, eating out;homecooking for 2 adults and a 6 years old, $800.- per month
- insurances;ARS Humano Platin Plan, $75.- per person per month
- transport (motoconcho, own vehicle, type, distances/frequencies;
- travel, excursions;no long distances, just around the near area, with Gas and maintenance and insurance and all repairs for the own 11 years old honda accord around $300.- -$500.- per month
- social life (clothes, preferred beverages, entertaining friends, etc.)some beers on the road, once a month a meal out of the house, a bottle of good wine on the weekend, inviting friends for a lunch on the beach or dinner on the veranda and some drinks twice a month, around $800.- - $1.000.- per month
- communication (trunk calls, internet)one cellphone and a wireless highspeed $150.- per month

the above list is by far not complete, life has a bunch of extra costs not included above, like in my case the monthly payment for my son's private school, not included if my wifey wanna go to get her hair done, bying clothes for us, savings in case something like Fridge or TV or computer aso breaks down and needs to get replaced by a new one, not included savings to purchase a ticket for a visit home once a year or every 2 years, no legal papers stuff like residence/cedula/driverslicens included. been just a ballpark to get an idea.

if you give us some details about your own likings we could fill in the lines with rates/costs for your style of living.

you mentioned to come Easter to volunteer teach,
keep in mind that schools are closed for easter.
you mentioned to work teaching at a school june-august,
keep in mind that this is during summer break, schools closed, and i doubt that a good international school would contract on top salaries for just 3 months short term periods.
for a unexperienced young newby starting to teach i doubt that any near to top salary job will pop up, like on every profession you have to work up yourself, get experience, like written by yourself i.e. by volunteerly teaching for a year or two.
and you hve to plan on longer time periods than just a easter week visit and 3 months during summer break when schools are closed.
to work for a school plan on school years, not on some weeks.
MIke

Last edited: