Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Cost of living- breakdown

Hello everyone,

I read with interest, another thread about the cost of living, however the feedback highlighted a great variance of what someone needs to survive, and is obviously subjective to the standard of living.

I wonder if those experienced posters would mind giving a breakdown as to income and expenditure, so that 'newbies' coming to the island to live can get a better of idea of where they 'fit' in with regards to budgeting.

For example, I hope to be a teacher and been told the average salary is around US$1,000 per month. Some say, the minimum you'd need to live on, is $1,000 per month and doing away with a lot of creature comforts..?

Without asking too much personal info, could people post an example financial breakdown, for different life-styles, salaries, etc? I think it would be really helpful to a lot of people.

E.G:
    Income= 'x'
    Transport p/m = 'x'
    Form of transport
    Insurances
    Food bill per month = 'x'
    Entertainment/restaurant frequency and cost
    Etc...
    Utilities= '$ x'
    High usage/low usage of electric, etc

Anything else that you would include in a household budget.

Please note, I am not asking anybody to divulge any personal finance details they are not comfortable with giving, just figures to represent the cost of a preferred lifestyle... Why do you need $2500 or $500 to live in the DR??

I hope some of you can help, as I'm making a lot of guesses at the mo!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another question?

A little more info please? Are you coming alone, so a one bedroom or studio would be acceptable? Would you like to rent a furnished or unfurnished apt. Unfurnished obviously are cheaper per month, but you have a bigger initial outlay because you have to furnish the apt. Or would you need more room. That also goes into the equation as far as food, would you be shopping for one?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The breakdown of living expenses has been covered here multiple times. I suggest trying the "search" function and hopefully you will get a better idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt you can make $1,000 US as a teacher, maybe 15,000 Pesos, which is around 420 dollars...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are working at a credible International school, you might make close to $1000, any other private school you will be making half of that, and most likely you will be paid in pesos (around 15,000-20,000 pesos)

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hi,

To answer your question, I am a single girl moving to the DR independently and so a furnished apartment would be ideal., and would be catering for one person. Obviously, I understand rent is dependent upon area, but it is hard to comment on where as this is dependent upon the location of the school. I would like to work for a reputable independent school, but we'll see... I like the North Coast/Puerto Plata area...

I did look on the cost of living thread, but found pages of people saying you need anything from $500 per month, to $3500, with out any real qualification as to WHY??? There are some vague comments about cost of electric, but is that rough figure based on 4 people, high/low useage, etc? I'm just trying to get a fairly good idea...

For example, I live in the North of England, live in a nice area, have a 2 bed house, rent is 500 per month. My dad died recently and so I'm currently helping my mum runa post office, of which the salary is 1000 per month after tax. My utilities, (gas, electric, water and council tax) total 220 per month. I share my house with a friend so we pay half each for the rent and utilities, (360 per month each). Food (supermarket) costs 120 per month, petrol and car insurance costs 100 per month, etc, (I live close to work).

This is quite a personal statement, and as I said before, I'm not asking anyone to give details of their personal finances they're not comfortable with... Just (even hypothetical) examples...

Also, I'm getting more worried with regards to income- posts saying teachers only earn 300 per month? What kind of school is this? I looked at ISS, Sosua and
    St.John, La Romana, and they state a salary of around $1000 per month, with some schools providing shared accommodation on top of the income??

Any advice you have for me and other newbies is greatly appreciated!!

Please help!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wide Range

It's just not possible to estimate YOUR costs, too many imponderabilities involved.
    Thus the wide range of 1,000 to 3,500 $ is correct.
    My experience, however, is that many come here willing to live on "anything" and then just can't.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion it wouldn't be easy. At the Int'l school you probably with the right credentials could make about $1,000/month, but Sosua being a tourist town (prices higher), it may be hard to find a reasonably priced furnished apt to fit within your budget. Food is also slightly higher in tourists areas, etc. If you do fit it in, you will probably be living right at the level of your budget and have not too much extra income to play with, ie. go out and enjoy yourself, or in case of an emergency.

But having said all that, I live on the south shore, so it would probably be better to wait for a response from someone who is living in that area now, and would know better what the current prices are.

Good luck!!

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

International school in juan Dolio (south) pays around 25-30,000 RD$ a month. so about 800 US$. Studio apt is 250 us$ a month. Electric around 500 rd$ a month. Insurance ......none. Transport motoconchos and guagaus say 1000 rd$ a month. food for one say 5000 rd$ a month. Internet is say 3000 RD$ a month if you have a claro dongle. No council tax, no petrol as no car, electric around 700 rd$ a month. Tank of gas which will last a couple of months around 1400 RD$.

You can live on the salary from a good international school but it will not give you anything to fly home or cope with any major medical emergency

matilda

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast