Shipping/Customs Rip Offs!

soulstylesmile

Aug 19, 2007
Help....Please help me or point me in the right direction. :bored:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I sent a huge box to Santo Domingo 34 days ago, on 6/22/09, and it has yet to arrive. I sent the box from NYC to Santo Domingo/Boca Chica. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What can I do from NYC to blow the whistle on these guys if my box has been stolen or tampered with? <o:p></o:p>
The company is based in NYC and when I call, they say my box is in the Dominican Republic but when I call DR, they say my box is not there. My fear is, as you know, that the contents of my box has been stolen and in the US it is a federal crime to tamper with the mail. So since I used a company in NYC and it involves international deliveries, the Feds should be all over this. Correct?<o:p></o:p>
1) Am I panicking too soon? <o:p></o:p>
2) Does it take months to deliver one box? <o:p></o:p>
3) Can I hold this company liable for the contents and safe delivery of my box? <o:p></o:p>
4) What can I do to hold the NYC company accountable?<o:p></o:p>

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Help....Please help me or point me in the right direction. :bored:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I sent a huge box to Santo Domingo 34 days ago, on 6/22/09, and it has yet to arrive. I sent the box from NYC to Santo Domingo/Boca Chica. <o:p></o:p>
What can I do from NYC to blow the whistle on these guys if my box has been stolen or tampered with? <o:p></o:p>
The company is based in NYC and when I call, they say my box is in the Dominican Republic but when I call DR, they say my box is not there. My fear is, as you know, that the contents of my box has been stolen and in the US it is a federal crime to tamper with the mail. So since I used a company in NYC and it involves international deliveries, the Feds should be all over this. Correct?<o:p></o:p>
1) Am I panicking too soon? <o:p></o:p>
2) Does it take months to deliver one box? <o:p></o:p>
3) Can I hold this company liable for the contents and safe delivery of my box? <o:p></o:p>
4) What can I do to hold the NYC company accountable?<o:p></o:p>

We send boxes and/or plastic drums all the time. They usually take about 6 weeks to get to SD from NY. Once they arrive, they have to clear customs, which takes varying amounts of time. Don't panic yet. In March our drum was in customs for over a week, and my husband was talking to himself by the time we got it.

We're going for a month in late December - so we'll ship our drum in early October, the latest, so it's there for sure by the time we get there. We send all the heavy stuff that way.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sent as a consolidated load, your goods will wait to leave until the shipper probably has a full container to ship. Time to fill up the container depends on business. Don't start getting worried for another month or so. And no, goods aren't treated like mail - that's why they offer insurance for a price.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Relax...I ship boxes all the time between New York and Santiago, they take forever but it is a great thing..... No worry about heavy stuffs....