Need Help! Any Lawyers?

Miked

Jul 25, 2009
Good morning to all! I'm hoping that there is some out there that can help me.
Flew into DR yesterday from Fla., rented a car from a well known and what a thought was a reputable car rental agency. Well, to make a long story short; a Dominican Woman hit me, totally damaged the driver side door and fled the scene. A friendly Taxi Driver called the Police for me, but they never came. I had elected full coverage insurance with a zero deductible in case anything like this happened. Called the rental agency they told me to go to Casa del Conductor and make a report. Once done I returned to the Car rental agency; thinking that I was fully covered, and I would just get another car.
However the proceeded to tell me I was not covered and some story about me having to take the other driver along to Casa del conductor ect... No where on the contract does it say anything about that; it's very vague at best. No one there could give me an explanation of the charges, that they seem to be pulling out of the air. I asked for that in writing and they refused. Anyhow I ended up with a Massive charge on my credit card, it's exorbitant!
I feel violated by that car rental company. In the Dominican Republic, do I have any recourse? My vacation is ruined, I have not been able to sleep all night. Can anyone familiar with Dominican Law please help!

Violated in Santo Domingo
Mike. D.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Take it up directly with your Credit Card company - tell them you are disputing the charge & for them not to pay. Send them COPIES of what you have & let them fight against the Rental Company.

As Robert says ..........
What is the name of the Rental Company?
What is the name of the Insurance Company?
Do you have a copy of the accident report?

KEEP all documentation & only send COPIES when asked for documented proof etc! IF you have telephone communication with anyone re this, write an e-mail TO the person/company you spoke with confirming what was said on the 'phone!! Failure to supply your Credit Card company with any/all documentation will severely limit their ability to help you so be EXTRA diligent about getting FACTS!

If what you wrote above is true, you have a chance of winning through your CC company. If there are flaws &/or untruths in what you have written, I don't hold out much hope other than maybe getting the repair bill reduced!

Good luck ~ Grahame.

Miked

Jul 25, 2009
Ladies, Gentlemen, Everyone, has been so helpful, being away and completely distraught, your posts have aided me composing myself to take the necessary measures. For now, I have disputed the charges with my CC company pending that they post. In addition I will return to the Casa del conductor and do a new report, as well as going to the Politur in Fortaleza Ozama with a Spanish speaking friend. And Yes I do have everything, I have kept every copy and have the names and numbers of all the witnesses. At first I did not want to Name the company, but they are complete SCUMBAGS! "DOLLAR RENT A CAR". anyone renting in car with them, beware!
caveat emptor!

I'm still in shock from this, I have not slept the last 48 hours.
Once this is resolved, I still want to consider some sort of legal action for this.
Thank you again to all!!

All messed up in DR

Mike D.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I rented from Dollar Rent A Car once and although their cars were not the newest the service I received was satisfactory.

What baffles me is if all the little boxes next to insurance coverage were checked and you initialed them how can Dollar Rent A Car say you did not have full insurance? Does not your contract list the daily cost for full coverage insurance?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
cancel your credit card voucher is the most important thing to do.
tell your provider that the BS is cancelled.
i can not count how often i saw exatly the same crap.
the different companies named budget or avis or dollar or national or alamo aso aso aso
they let YOU sign upon arrival before you receive the booked rental car the same papers, some of them are anyways here in the country handled/owned by the very same persons.
i explained to visitors at the airport when they received their car and signed the 'receipt documents' the same stuff so often.
the paper states that you agree to the in the paper written clauses.
and that means:
FORGET about the online booked full coverage with Zero charge on you for what ever happens.
it will not work.
you sign with those comp[anies when you receive your car a reliability which has nothing to do with what is promoted on the booking website of .... or what ever named company.
i am glad to hear that you say you are on it and you have all the proper documentation of 'proof' and that you will be fine.
i say that would be a big exception of the usual outcome, happy for you.
i 'guess'(please correct me if wrong) that you signed upon arrival a handover paper to get the car, and it is written in spanish???
you have a reliable person who translated it for you or you speak fluent spanish yourself, so you know for sure what is the rule??
wish you good luck my friend
let us know how it went
Mike

I have nothing but good things to say about Buget rental car in the DR, I had an accident in one of their cars and I had declined all insurance, I thought i was done for but they gave me a very low estimate on the cost of repair, less than 300 dollars when I have seen damage like that in the states cost over 2500 dollars. They gave me a new car no problem. For me Budget is the best followed closely by Avis in DR.