Barahona-New Construction

Feb 15, 2005
Every new Ministry has pro-occupation with a region and it seems that the south is this term's region.

They say that wheres theres smoke there fire. Hopefully, this is PR before the works. I know however, that there is a study being conducted, right at this moment, to determine the stress on infrastructure and natural resources.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I am confused, where exactly are these hotels supposed to be built? Casa Bonita? San Rafael? Paraiso? Canoa? City of Barahona? Pedernales?

Tourism in Barahona is like the story of the boy who cried wolf. Plans and projects have been announced so many times, including by politicians around key election times to play upon the hopes and dreams of poor surenos, that nobody believes it anymore. I don't. Don't get me wrong, I love Barahona and am rooting for the region and its people, but I just don't buy it anymore.

I'm not a tourist expert or insider, but I have been around the area long enough to see very little going on or taking off. Well, other than "missionaries" who go to the bateys and spend time as tourists. Will tourism increase here someday? Sure, but it will always be a small niche market of more adventurous, Spanish-speaking eco-oriented tourists. It will never compete with the east or north coast. Any major changes in Barahona will not be seen, in my opinion, until 20+ years. I won't hold my breath and won't open up any business down here to ride the tides of tourism promises that don't get followed through.

I know however, that there is a study being conducted, right at this moment, to determine the stress on infrastructure and natural resources.

What infrastructure? LOL. A major and yet simple improvement that could be done is build a respectable public bathroom at San Rafael and Los Patos. Until then, spare me the vacant hotel rooms. Or how about dump less sewage and chemicals in the water in Barahona, or clean the hideous Malecon with all the junk Khoury has stored there? Another pleasantry is the rude and open harassment of anyone remotely Haitian looking at the gazillion checkpoints between here and Pedernales. Gotta love Barahona.

Feb 15, 2005
I am confused....

Will tourism increase here someday? Sure, but it will always be a small niche market of more adventurous, Spanish-speaking eco-oriented tourists. It will never compete with the east or north coast.

What infrastructure? LOL. A major and yet simple improvement that could be done is build a respectable public bathroom at San Rafael and Los Patos. Until then, spare me the vacant hotel rooms. Or how about dump less sewage and chemicals in the water in Barahona, or clean the hideous Malecon with all the junk Khoury has stored there? Another pleasantry is the rude and open harassment of anyone remotely Haitian looking at the gazillion checkpoints between here and Pedernales. Gotta love Barahona.

A bathroom is not really considered part of the infrastructure..infrastructure falls more in line with the roads and resources. As far as eco-tourism, I recently spoke to a representative of the Barahona cluster and he indicated that they are contracting engineers from Costa Rica to assist in the study because eco-tourism is precisely the model for the southwest.

Regarding the check points, when you have hundreds of Haitians illegally immigrating to DR on a daily basis, it is a very very difficult job for the military to distinguish a day worker from one who is sneaking into the country permanently. This will only be exasperated once construction actually commences. In Punta Cana there are large slums in areas outside of major resorts due to Haitian workers that never went back home after construction, which I also understand.

In any event, the promise of development has been going on for ever, but in years pasts the previous ministry has stumped any development in the southwest due to his own well-known investments in the Punta Cana area.
Every region started with one major resort, Puerto Plata (ClubMed), Punta Cana (Jack Par) etc. Casa Bonita i is probably in my opinion one of the best if not THE best, boutique hotels in the country. A few more of these luxury boutiques and it can certainly change the landscape of Barahona.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
In any event, the promise of development has been going on for ever, but in years pasts the previous ministry has stumped any development in the southwest due to his own well-known investments in the Punta Cana area.
Every region started with one major resort, Puerto Plata (ClubMed), Punta Cana (Jack Par) etc. Casa Bonita i is probably in my opinion one of the best if not THE best, boutique hotels in the country. A few more of these luxury boutiques and it can certainly change the landscape of Barahona.

I was in Bahoruco this weekend and there are a lot of rumours of Casa Bonita expanding to 500+ rooms, reaching up to Casa de Tarz?n. I'm sure they have done their research and know they can fill up those rooms, also there's a buzz going on around the locals because some "french" people are offering to buy to anyone who wants to sell, especially beach front property, and those who have sold are very happy with what they got. From my estimates, beach front (undelveloped) properties are going for 3,000 sq mtrs in Bahoruco.

Something IS going on...

By the way Minerva, Los Patos has a bathroom/dressing room, the sign says:
"bestidol" LOL

Feb 15, 2005
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Casa Bonita is perhaps the finest luxury boutique hotel in DR. I would certainly put it up with the very best and more expensive boutiques.

They expanding would certainly add Barahona as a destination for niche tourism.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
By the way Minerva, Los Patos has a bathroom/dressing room, the sign says:
"bestidol" LOL

I know! I have a picture of it because it has so many spelling errors. I wanted to post it on here but can't figure out how to upload images. Whether or not a bathroom is "infrastructure", what I was trying to say is why be so concerned about the big stuff when all you've got in the most beautiful and frequented beaches (aside from Bahia) is the "bestidol", with the floor covered in feces. Let's take it small steps at a time, eh?

What's the big deal about the roads? They are 20 times better than in Samana, do they need to pay contractors to figure that out? Why do something more useful like take a water sample from the ocean in Barahona to show how contaminated it is? Not trying to criticize the need for studies and planning though, they are important IF something is actually going to happen.

I just feel like there is ALWAYS "something going on"...like I said earlier, WOLF! I mean, TOURISM! DEVELOPMENT! INVESTMENT! In Barahona! People snatch up any little grain of information or sliver of hope because they are so desperate here to jump on the tourism wagon. Not that I blame them, what other hope do they have? If the platano can't save Barahona, tourist's dollars and euros can.

Casa Bonita is insanely overpriced and I'm not impressed. I can cook the same food at my house by shopping in Barahona, and the newly remodeled Hotel Quemaito (not sure if that's the real name) is beautiful with an even more amazing view, nice pool, much cheaper, and at least you can swim there. Playazul, too. Sadly they seem to have many vacancies.

And isn't there already a resort sitting in ruins in Bahoruco? I can't recall the name, but I think it's part of some chain and is decent sized.

I hope that the south, when this eco-tourism development does come about in say, 20 years, will not just cater to people with money. This country, compared to others in Latin America, is not as backpacker and budget eco-traveler friendly as others and that could be a selling point for the region.

Unfortunately development and tourism in the south has become to me like believing in the tooth fairy. I know I want to because it's a good thing, but I need to see it to believe it. The motto seems to be 'if you build it, they will come.'

Feb 15, 2005
Playa Azul has practically lost it's beach sad to say. This is a dangerous sign of global warming and rising waters.
As far as Casa Bonita, everyone I've spoken to have rave about it. Not that one can't cook the same food, or that it's over priced given the surrounding hotels, but it has an elegance that cannot be found in the area. The photography of Eladio Fernandez (renown nature photographer) is stunning. While Playa Azul suffers from vacancies, Casa Bonita raises it's prices. My pal was there recently with some architects looking at his property and stayed in Casa Bonita. He told me that there were families of Argentinians there and the place was, very quietly, practically sold out.
They must be doing something right.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I know! I have a picture of it because it has so many spelling errors. I wanted to post it on here but can't figure out how to upload images.

I have the picture also, but I don't know how to post it either, here's the link to the picture in Facebook in case the picture doesn't post: Login | Facebook

bestidol.jpg

And isn't there already a resort sitting in ruins in Bahoruco? I can't recall the name, but I think it's part of some chain and is decent sized.

Yes, this resort was called Barcelo Bahoruco Beach Resort. What's funny is that this resort is owned by the husband of the owner of Casa Bonita (or was, now is owned by Banreservas), Julio Schiffino. The owner of Casa Bonita is the daughter of one of the richest men in Bahoruco who owned a lot of land, Schiffino came and bought even more land, but I don't know what happened to him since most of the land he bought, and the resort, were taken by Banco de Reservas when Schiffino defaulted on his loans and Barcel? no longer ran the resort. I know for certain that one of his sons is running Casa Bonita, but Bahoruco Beach Resort is falling to ruins, and it's a pity because it's a beautiful resort, I know for a fact that the china and silverware was stolen by the locals.

Feb 15, 2005
Recently a foundation was created called, Alianza Estrategica para Desarollo Ecoturistica de Paraiso. Together will local business leaders from Paraiso and the Peace Corps. they have initiated courses for youth in environmental awareness and eco-tourism. It all starts with the people and the positive promotion of the southwest's beauty. Involvement in these types of efforts is a great beginning.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What's the big deal about the roads? They are 20 times better than in Samana, do they need to pay contractors to figure that out?
Water is what kills roads. That is a commodity in very short supply in the SW and overabundant in Samana.

FWIW-after researching the various hotel option in Barahona, our tours chose Costa Larimar as our base. And we have never once second-guessed that decision. Fine facility, great customer seervice, nice rooms and fine food. I guess they have exempted themselves from global warming, because their beach is just fine, thank you, for a bayside beach.

Feb 15, 2005
I was not impressed with Costa Larimar. The view of Playa Azul is much more stunning but that is it. However, I have my own opinions about Playa Azul also.

Again if I had to impress, Casa Bonita would be the one. I haven't been to Hotel Quemaito so I can't speak for them.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I visited Costa Larimar when it was called The Riviera, by Occidental hotels and wasn't very impressed with the beach or the hotel, price-wise Playa Azul or Pontevedra are better options.

A big mistake would be comparing the southwest tourism with the north (Puerto Plata) or east (Punta Cana), or even Northeast (Samana), we don't have the sandy calm beaches they have so AI resorts are not a good option because the beaches are not that attractive or safe for swimmers, except maybe in Bani and Pedernales. Bed and breakfast are better options since most tourists who visit the southwest want to have a good hearty breakfast and then then spend the day sightseeing and comeback at night for dinner or just a nice cozy bed, or not come back for a couple of days since most attractions are very far apart.

Feb 15, 2005
I visited Costa Larimar when it was called The Riviera, by Occidental hotels and wasn't very impressed with the beach or the hotel, price-wise Playa Azul or Pontevedra are better options.

A big mistake would be comparing the southwest tourism with the north (Puerto Plata) or east (Punta Cana), or even Northeast (Samana), we don't have the sandy calm beaches they have so AI resorts are not a good option because the beaches are not that attractive or safe for swimmers, except maybe in Bani and Pedernales. Bed and breakfast are better options since most tourists who visit the southwest want to have a good hearty breakfast and then then spend the day sightseeing and comeback at night for dinner or just a nice cozy bed, or not come back for a couple of days since most attractions are very far apart.

I agree on all your points Marilyn. Price-wise they are better options, one has excellent views and the other has a great pool.

Barahona does not have beaches for swimming but has great mountain views that can be developed into mountain retreats with very nice infinity pools and exquisites views.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Cheers for the Alianza in Paraiso, sounds like a great initiative. Maybe the southwest will be the last in the tourism frontier but can be the first to keep it more eco and community focused.

Agreed the Casa Bonita offers the classiest, highest quality hotel in the region, a good option for people who aren't concerned about price at all. Costa Larimar is the best in the city of Barahona, but I wouldn't swim in that water, NO WAY. Less that 100 yards away there is a large ditch with some pretty funky water running in down from the barrios. And there are indeed plenty of improvements that could be made to the place.

There ARE some good swimming beaches, granted they are small rocks and NOT sand. Quemaito is the calmest, and if you have your own snorkel gear you can see a few fish. For me, los Patos is great, better than San Rafael and is swimmable. Plus there is a little river (I heard shortest in the world, but don't know if it's true) and sometimes you can rent tubes to float in it.

**SOMEONE please PM me to explain to me how to put up fotos. I tried to do it through a blog on here but it says I don't have authorization. I don't want to use the URL of my personal sites that have my fotos. I have some good pics of Hotel Quemaito post-remodel and an even classier one of the bestidol.

Feb 15, 2005
Agree Minerva, the beach in the city is not "very good looking". Los Patos has surpassed San Rafael as the place to go for a cool swim and San Rafael's proprietors have noone to blame but themselves. The place can use a BIG makeover, garbage, incredible noise and inflated prices are all man-made, not nature. It's too bad.

Minerva, I believe that this area can duplicate the best that it has and take advantage of the views and diversity. There has to be a business alliance to agree upon the best business practices. In Costa Rica, this was done after tourism got out of hand also in the southwest, in the Manuel Antonio area. This alliance allowed it to continue to flourish. BTW, Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica would be an excellent model for Barahona, spec. Paraiso. It's also located 3-4 hours from the Capital (San Jose) and has a multitude of travelers taking charter flights from the main airport or drive 3-4 hours.

I'm wishing for places like Casa Bonita and the New Quemaito a ton of success. It bodes well for everyone.