Buying a house. Need good advice.

AimHigh

Jan 22, 2009
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm buying my aunt's house in Santo Domingo. The house is $1.5million pesos. She has all the papers and documents for the house. I have a good trusting relationship with her and I'm planning on wiring her the money but I can't be there for a while because I'm deployed to Iraq. She has a another person willing to buy her the house but she would give me the opportunity first because she prefers to keep the house in the family, she needs the money very soon so that?s why I can?t wait until I get back.
My question is how much will it cost me to get the papers transferred to my name, and how many days is the process? If I have to go to Santo Domingo it would only be for a limited amount of days. Would it be possible to complete the transaction without actually traveling to DR. Also can my mother represent me since I can't physically be there for several months? I don't have a cedula, I was born in DR but I'm a US citizen, would that be a problem? Can someone give me some step by step process of the expenses and process to get this house transferred to my name?
I?m not concerned about sending her the money in advanced; my worry is about dealing with the Dominican government to get the papers under my name.
Thank you

Thank you for your help

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Robert is 100% right, also once you have a good and trusted lawyer you should send the money to the lawyer so that everything can be signed and paid simultaneously. Try to forget that you are dealing with family so that nothing gets accidentally overlooked or missed that could cause you, or your aunt, problems in the future.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Power of Attorney

I don't think you need to be present in the DR to complete the transaction.
The lawyer can act with your authority - he/she just needs the funds to close.

At least this was my experience.

Good Luck