Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electricity - Everyone should pay !

No!
    Then who should pay?

... perhaps those with Waterfront Property
    (So what if it's sewage water)

... perhaps those living in an All Inclusive Gated Community

... Perhaps those who appear to be running a Tire Recycling Business

... Perhaps those living on deluxe streets made of the
    Best Biodegradable / Water-soluable material corruption can buy

... Perhaps those building a New House in a New Development
    scraping together every scrap of wood they can find
    (I bet they could use some help and NALs to hold it all together)

Perhaps those that can find a job and work?
    So what if they only make about $3,600 a month working 6-7 days a week.
    Pay car fare to work and back of about $780 a month.
    Buy $50 peso Lunch each day for about $1,500 a month.

That still leaves them $44 pesos a day for the electric bill, breaksfast, dinner, clothing, etc.

But wait!
    Now that Santiago has installed the new Left Over / Excess Food containers on the streets
    They won't have to buy food, so, hell yes, make them pay the electric bill.

The "Old" versus the "New" Leftover/Excess Food Bins

Perhaps in this country they should have a
    God given right
    to that electricity.

They have little else ..........

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    .... BTW, there is no real shortage in electricity production; its all artificially made by the attitudes of the consumers who think (free) electricity is a God given right.
    -NALs

SantiagoDR
    I survived the NAL's syndrone - 2009

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre-paid meters would be the way to go. The poor should be able to get subsidized pre-paid cards, but of course this would be abused to hell, re-sold on the streets, etc. You steal electricity, you go to jail.

Where there is a will, there is a way....right now...there is no will to solve this problem....Dominican society accepts it,,,there will always be elecricity problems..etc.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default all should pay

Awesome post... Fix the wages and job shortages and then deal with the rest!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

SantiagoDR, I love the post!! IMO I don't see that you can have a "god given right" to something that belongs to someone else but I DO strongly believe that an amount of electricity usage should be made available to people on low incomes and that goverments have an obligation to implement and fund this. I would happily pay towards this via my taxation or some other method. Good post!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

Thanks to those that have responded so far.

I set out today to take those pictures, so people could see how life is for many in the D.R.

I made this commitment to myself after responses on the thread about the National Blackout.
    I wanted people to see some of the things I see in the D.R., no sugar coating, no driving by in an expensive SUV.

Not every Dominican can head to the airport and fly off to some exotic place, be it in the U.S. or somewhere else.

I'm of the opinion from reading others posts that perhaps they have never seen what I have shown in those pictures, even some of the posters who are Dominicans.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

New Delhi: It was still dark outside when a spidery man in his underwear answered the knock at the factory door, releasing a wave of heat and gritty smoke from the noisy room behind him.

This, the man was told, was a power raid. The engineers storming past him were here to investigate electricity theft at this basement plastics mill. Please step aside.

The problem is rampant in India, but especially in New Delhi, a sprawling city of slums, factories, and politicians unaccustomed to paying for power.

When companies from the private sector partnered with the government in 2002 to distribute the city's energy, more than half of electricity generated was stolen.

Since then, the energy companies have aggressively fought to stop the theft, a gruelling battle that officials say they are slowly winning.

In a country facing massive power shortages, fighting power theft is an important way to make electricity distribution more reliable, officials say.

Still, the shortfall is massive. In a nation of 1.2 billion, roughly 600 million people have no access to electricity at all, and those who do endure rolling blackouts that can last up to 12 hours.

The demand is expected to grow by four to five times over the next 25 years, but the country's antiquated power grids are already overwhelmed.

India's energy deficit will be one of the most serious challenges facing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as he begins his second term, and his administration is exploring nuclear, solar and wind power to address the gap.

This industrial block in west Delhi, home to a litter of stray puppies and a suspect plastics manufacturer, represents the front lines in the war on energy theft.

Vikrant Seth, the private sector enforcement official leading the raid, reviewed the plans in the pre-dawn darkness. He hoped this would be a big one - four police officers would accompany the team in case things turned violent, as they sometimes did.

A tired man with a thin moustache, Seth is one of the many people fighting block-by-block to clean up the system. It's an unenviable task.

Many Indians have a long-standing reluctance to pay for power, dating back to the era when the state controlled nearly the entire economy, including the energy sector, and securing a legal power connection could take a lifetime.

Power companies across the country lose an average of 40 per cent of the power generated, according to a 2007 government report.

The situation was especially bad in New Delhi - the same report called the capital's state power company "a corrupt and inefficient monopoly" that offered "abysmally poor service."

Many people illegally tapped into the neighbourhood connection, betting that the authorities were too slow, or too corrupt, to stop them. The resulting cobweb of power lines helped push the capital's electric company more than $3 billion (Dh11 billion) in debt in 2002.

That year, subsidiaries of Reliance ADA Group and Tata Group, two of India's most powerful conglomerates, entered a partnership with the government to distribute power in the capital and halt the losses.

Reliance and Tata had impressive track records in Mumbai where power distribution losses are among the lowest in the country.

Through dozens of power raids every week, among other strategies, they have managed to dramatically reduce theft in Delhi. BSES, the Reliance subsidiary that handles two-thirds of Delhi's power, has sent more than 650 people to prison and booked more than 114,000 cases in special courts that handle only electricity cases.

By the end of last year, BSES, where Seth works, had cut theft from around 52 per cent in 2002 to 28 per cent. Seth's bosses want to bring that down to 10 per cent.

Before dawn on a recent Saturday, Seth corralled his men to review details for the three raids planned for the morning. When his crew was ready, Seth hopped into a white van, part of a large convoy, and headed for the first target.

Inside the windowless factory, an enormous, clanging machine belched smoke as it spat out sheets of black plastic so cheap it turned to powder in your hand. Two scrawny men sat on the floor folding the plastic while a third slept in the corner.

A team of engineers checked the electric meters and inspected a cable sticking up from the ground while others headed to the attic to investigate suspicious wires hanging from the roof.

Outside, a police officer took off his shoes to nap inside a van while Seth spoke into his cell phone. The sun was ready to rise.

Nearly two hours after the raid at the plastics factory, technicians walked outside shaking their head. They couldn't prove that the factory was stealing power.

After signing sheets of paperwork, Seth climbed back into the white van, not entirely convinced the factory owner wasn't stealing.

http://www.gulfnews.com/world/India/10328814.html
    Other countries in a lesser developed state than here can get their act together, why not here....

And I can't afford a Ferrari, but does it make it ok to go steal one? even if everyone else does?

A man robs a bank is he wrong? if he's doing it to feed his family is it less wrong?

Too much to think about, the people need to whine on about the wages and jobs situation, to enable them to pay their electric.

Its such a vicious circle, the electric is so expensive because people don't pay, and thats why they can't afford it in the first place. The danger lies in that the more increases that come, the less people pay again, and the more that steal, and I'm sure someone can tell us what happens then.....

You have a valid point, some people need help, but did I pay $8k for my home bill and $5k for my office bill so half the barrios in the east of the city can run their air-con on an illegal hook-up. No.

Would I mind so much to them enough to power the essentials (fridge and lighting), maybe not.

And don't get me started on factories/businesses (people who can pay and try not to) moving to the flat rate areas to run their heavy equipment....I'll just get angry...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Those pictures are incredible.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Those pictures are incredible.
    But reality unfortunately...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to give you reputation points SantiagoDR, but apparently I have to "spread them around" to other ppl first. The pics are great. The captions and the point it makes are also really well presented. A picture is worth a thousand words for sure!
    Those pictures make a way bigger impact than a 1000 word post!!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful playing in the backyard son!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast