investing 100,000 USD

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
For example lets say that you have 100 k to invest, what do you think would be the best and smartest way to invest this amound of money in the DR? someone close to me told me about Banco de Reservas program where a 100 k would give you a montly return of 30,000 pesos monthly forever.any truth?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Ban Reservas is a government bank so i would not put one peso in it personally.

I would say real estate is you safest bet, but there are many more people much more knowledgable than me here who can advise you.

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
thanks for the replies,

I do know for a fact that Reservas Bank is rock solid much like US Chase Bank as far as stability.
The experts in US are predicting bad things for the Dollar in the form of devaluation because of the trillions printed for the economy recovery plan, if is true then i guess is time to plan and diversify while there is still value in the green.i dont want to be the guy standing up when the music stops.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I do know for a fact that Reservas Bank is rock solid much like US Chase Bank as far as stability.

You really can not compare Ban Reservas to JPM!
What will you do if/when the RD Peso goes to 40...or higher...which will be your breakeven point after a year. Is the risk/reward there @ 10%, that is for you to decide.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
The peso has devalued as much as 50 to 1 in the past. So don't assume the buck will slide against the peso, in fact bank on it never happening. It's always a risk. Real estate is solid. Having time on your hands in order to pick bargains will work to your advantage. You could open a dollar account and wait till the peso slides then buy which is what I did, a little risky mind you.

Last edited:

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Sorry but that sort of money needs professional advice, not unqualified advice from posters. No offence but nobody has even asked how long it can be done without? What access is required? What country the OP lives? What risk profile OP has?

A professional should be sought. There are those people here in the DR but they work on referral, you don't find them in the yellow pages, and you'll find most are moving that money outside the DR.

To the poster suggesting property.... That's proven to be a boom recently hasn't it....... And most believe here that the disaster in that sector is well hidden so far.

If you genuinely need a referral in country, PM me Ill put you onto someone.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Also Gelmi-an be careful about advertising that you have 100k to throw around otherwse you'll get people wanting you to PM them.

Now that's free advice from a "nonprofessional".

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Sorry but that sort of money needs professional advice, not unqualified advice from posters. No offence but nobody has even asked how long it can be done without? What access is required? What country the OP lives? What risk profile OP has?

A professional should be sought. There are those people here in the DR but they work on referral, you don't find them in the yellow pages, and you'll find most are moving that money outside the DR.

To the poster suggesting property.... That's proven to be a boom recently hasn't it....... And most believe here that the disaster in that sector is well hidden so far.

If you genuinely need a referral in country, PM me Ill put you onto someone.

Please forgive us non professionals for giving our opinion solicited by the OP in the living section.

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
Also Gelmi-an be careful about advertising that you have 100k to throw around otherwse you'll get people wanting you to PM them.

Now that's free advice from a "nonprofessional".

thanks, but i suspect 100k is chump change to a lot of folks around here on DR1:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
thanks, but i suspect 100k is chump change to a lot of folks around here DR1:
glasses:

You really are better off not mentioning actual numbers on an open internet board, you will have every Real Estate salesman offering you free airport pickup.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
thanks, but i suspect 100k is chump change to a lot of folks around here on DR1:

Gelmi-an there are a lot of sharks in the water around here. Be very careful about who you do business with. Keep the radar on at all times these people are pros and I'm talking especially about a lot of the :ermm::ermm:gringos. Good luck.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
why not just come down and spend it. should take about three years of good but not rich living. the education you will receive will be worth way more than the 100k. as far as real estate goes, you need 3x more than that to get anything nice nice..............

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Think about somwhere else other than DR, very risky.. I seen bank closed down and invester lost everything.

Rickyb

Jul 26, 2009
i would say put it into the public bus system. i looked into it and there is a lot to be made

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
rare advices given.
i double the upper statement to not throw around numbers,
you receive PM's and e-mail from all those people ypou really don't wanna know.
real estate?
todays?
YES,
for somebody who has the big bucks we are in a time period to purchase real estate, but just for somebody who has the money and does not rely on a soon payback for a living. you have to sit out the time til the market recovers his actual down point, real estate is not a short term invest, and 100K is in case of real estate anyways not enough to name such a invest.

afriend of mine has since several years 3.000.000.- pesos with banco de reservas, the til today received monthly interests are a nice extra, but again, it should not be meant to make a living out of it, one should never put all his/her money in just one single place, doesn't matter you have a few million pesos or some million dollars or euros or whatsoever.
to make valuable investments the advice from a pro is needed,
pro's do usually not run AD's by PM's or e-mail, lol.
Mike

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Real Estate may be one of the most illiquid investments possible in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As far as depositing money in Dominican banks, contact SantiagoDR of this forum for advice. He does this and knows what to expect and watch out for.