confused about ticks

B

BettyDiamond

Ive just had my house sprayed for ticks Rd$ 1500 for about 1/2 hrs work(nice work if you can get it), I was told if there was still a problem they would return and respray for free.(got neighbour to translate who speaks perfect spanish)

Two days later Im still finding the buggers strolling round the place and new hatched ones(shouldnt spraying kill eggs) so I ring up- and find I have to pay again and should have paid RD$ 8000.00 for the spraying and it should be done every 15 days until problem is gone

Before I found out they were ticks the quote for spraying was rd$ 650.00

I used to recommend this company to people for the roach spraying etc but feel a bit cheated here

.....what are other peoples tick experiences and would I be better with home remedies- by the way I have no dogs here

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
What kind of ticks? The pulgas that are mainly carried and spread by horses can, apparantly, travel along way on foot and are a real problem for dogs and cats. You say you don't have any dogs but if your nieghbours have them they might still travel.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
tick.bmp

here is something similar- none look like they have fed -so why are they hanging about

my mother Betty is worried about them

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
JR,
You and MommaB should probably check thoroughly for the little buggers.
It's something you can do together, so just think of it as a family outing.

From ehow.com
Raise your arms and check your armpits. Ladies, be sure to check underneath your breasts. Ticks like dark areas. Check your male and female parts just in case. Chances are that ticks ran up the outside of your clothing to your head, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Enjoy.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A natural way to get rid of ticks outside and thus preventing them to come inside are ginea foal. They love these little creatures and by eating them clean your backyard of ticks
besides that they are:

good guards
very tastfull with some platano

Greetings

Johan

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
No offence intended heldengebroed, just having a chuckle and there's nothing bad about your english! :bunny:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
any other remedies - I hear cederwood,citronella,tea tree oil and lavender help
that combination would drive anyone away lol
"ticked off"

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
The tick show is Dermacentor variabilis or wood tick (sometimes called a dog tick). Can rarely transmit RMSF (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) or tularemia but not Lyme disease. Lyme Disease (transmitted by the much smaller deer tick (Iodoxes scapularis) has not yet appeared in the DR to my knowledge. There are very few chemical treatments which can control tick populations and the best strategy is personal protection with proper clothing and enviromnment management (cutting the grass, allowing direct sunshine on the grassy areas, removing overgrown areas, etc) Good luck and stay well!
Cocoleka (US physician experienced with these critters)