NHS and ex-pats

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Windeguy has started an excellent debate on the proposed reforms to the US health system. Some interesting points are coming through it about how the the UK NHS treats ex-pats, so I thought out of respect to Windeguys debate we should have a separate thread.
Has anyone recently received NHS treatment even though they are no longer UK residents or have any info on NHS treatment of ex pats

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Lambada posted this link, the info is very interesting but is from 2004. Anything newer?

New NHS restrictions have repercussions for expats - Telegraph

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Windeguy has started an excellent debate on the proposed reforms to the US health system. Some interesting points are coming through it about how the the UK NHS treats ex-pats, so I thought out of respect to Windeguys debate we should have a separate thread.
Has anyone recently received NHS treatment even though they are no longer UK residents or have any info on NHS treatment of ex pats

I don't have anything in writing, but I heard if you emigrate you are no longer entitled to NHS services.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
This is what Lambada's link indicated and yet people do still seem to be getting treatment whilst in the UK on vacation or travelling specifically for treatment!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MY understanding is that if you are no longer 'domiciled' in the UK then your NHS entitlement disappears! You CAN regain it after living again in the UK for 6 months continuous!

This relates to FREE NHS care. Emergency treatment is still available 'free' but the second you are wheeled (or walked) through the doors to admissions, you have to start paying ......... UK type money!!! :cheeky:

If at all possible (Tax legal situations not withstanding), retain an address in the UK folks, even if it at a friends!! I mean, you DO pay them rent don't you?? :cheeky: ~ Grahame

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have no doubt that you have also read my rather 'intrusive' post on windeguy's thread but I felt I had to comment on the excellent, efficient and life-saving treatment that Mr WB has just recently received courtesy of the NHS. We moved 'lock, stock and barrel' to the DR just over 3 years ago but have always maintained a UK address for essential post and Mr WB has continued to pay UK taxes. When he first returned to the UK at the beginning of October last year it was suggested' that he may have to "pay" but that suggestion was never repeated and he received the best treatment possible to effect a diagnosis and cure for non-hodgkin lymphoma, returning home just 9 days ago. At no point did he claim to be returning to the UK to live and his doctors were always well aware that his only desire was to get fit and well enough to return home.

The point at which Mr WB decided to return to the UK was following 5 stays in DR hospitals, 2 in Centro Medico Bournigal, POP and 3 in Union Medica, Santiago when the assumption was that he must have TB as they could not identify anything else but still his lung filled with fluid and, with help and organisation from our British Embassy, he was found a flight that very day and, after a brief consultation with a GP, was admitted to Ninewells Hospital, Dundee where it still took 4 full weeks for an accurate diagnosis of his condition.

Apologies for the long post but I feel it is important to be able, just for once, to truly sing the praises of the UK NHS system who have returned Mr WB home cancer-free.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Mr WB
Glad to hear that you are now well enough to be returning to the DR. I too am a fan of the NHS, it's easy to knock it but when you compare it to the US situation I think you can see how fortunate us Brits have been! I'm going to keep digging for info on this and maybe contact the embassey to get their take on it!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As with the other thread, please keep this one to topic as it relates to expats, as opposed to a general pro/anti NHS discussion.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Fully concur, Chiri, but, as ex-pats, we live a little in 'fear' of what is still available to us back in our home countries if, and when, we may need it. To be honest, I think that Mr WB would have died here in the DR without correct diagnosis if he had 'stuck it out' and feel it is important that other British ex-pats here know what is available to them back in their home country should it be needed. Hope you agree?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That doesn't contradict what I said - that the thread should be about the NHS as it applies to expats, not the NHS as such. I know that this is not likely to provoke as much controversy as the other thread as very few Brits would like to see the back of the NHS, but in the name of fairness and balance...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
What I would like to establish Mr WB is WHAT EXACTLY is available and to whom ie do you need to appear as though you still have a base in the UK. I am a full ex-pat as it were. I don't pay any tax in the UK and I don't own property there. There seems to be a great deal of evidence (thankyou Lambada) to say that if I returned to the UK for treatment, I wouldn't get it on the NHS. I've been given a stack of links to go through and I'll let you know what I find.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually, I'm interested too - I no longer pay taxes in the UK but what would happen if I was taken ill while on holiday there? I know that I am no longer registered with a GP - she may have retired for all I know - but I still have an NI number so how would it work?
(This is hypothetical - I do have travel insurance that includes health cover).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This is a very interesting topic for others expats even who are not Brits since the cost of maintaining a good international health insurance policy is very pricey but if it is lifesaving, well, then it is worth it.....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
What I would like to establish Mr WB is WHAT EXACTLY is available and to whom ie do you need to appear as though you still have a base in the UK. I am a full ex-pat as it were. I don't pay any tax in the UK and I don't own property there. There seems to be a great deal of evidence (thankyou Lambada) to say that if I returned to the UK for treatment, I wouldn't get it on the NHS. I've been given a stack of links to go through and I'll let you know what I find.

It is certain that everyone's situation is different but there was no argument when Mr. WB returned to the UK for diagnosis and treatment. He was told that he MAY have to pay for hospitalisation and treatment and responded by explaining that 'as a British citizen, receiving a taxable Government pension, i.e. paying taxes in the UK and NIC contributions being up to date, that was not applicable'. The explanation was accepted by both the GP and the hospital and he received full NHS treatment for the duration of his very long and unwelcome stay. At no point did Mr WB have to proclaim a residential status within the UK although, as explained earlier, we do maintain a UK address for post with our children.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Black Dog had PMed me from Windeguy's thread so as not to hijack it. I'll post the links I sent him, so others can see. The original Telegraph piece is on the other thread and Black Dog has the title above in an earlier post:
http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...&filesize=9799

The National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Amendment) Regulations 2006

http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...eatment-10272/

OSCAR - OSCARactive - Articles

Are you visiting the United Kingdom? : Department of Health - Health care

Are you coming to the UK to holiday or visit relatives/friends, or have you been living outside the UK for more than 3 months? : Department of Health - Health care

Are you a UK state pensioner spending more than 3 months living outside the United Kingdom? : Department of Health - Health care

A couple of points emerge from all this: first they have to know you're an expat ;), if you get my drift. Second I think it would be worth pursuing whether maintaining a home or an address is a requirement. I have an address but I have sold my UK home. Thirdly, it would seem to have some links to a Government pension (see final link above Are you a UK state pensioner spending more than 3 months living outside the United Kingdom?) - this could either be an old age pension or a Government works or military pension, I suspect. Private pensioners might need to look into this if they are not of OAP age.

I do know that in 2004 I was asked to pay for an NHS GP consultation in UK. I didn't believe them so they got the legislation up on the computer for me & there it was, clear as day. Since I already had a private doc through a policy I have & since he has known me 35 years & isn't rushed like the NHS GPs, I decided not to avail myself of the NHS GP appointment. With a flourish & small speech to the crowded waiting area........:)

Please report back your findings Black Dog, & we wish you well in getting to the bottom of this. An associated issue is freezing of UK pensions for expats in certain countries. Could write heaps but it'd be off topic. Google Annette Carson & the Law Lords.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I am aware it all appears to be somewhat confusing!!! I always have a check up with my mother's GP when I go back to the UK using here address. I am seen as a visiting patient. he is well aware that I live in the the DR, and in fact he also has given me advice by email. No charge. I seem to remember hearing that you are entitled to free treatment again (and the full range of benefits) from the day you set foot on UK soil as long as you are back in the country for good.

I know is is true for those who have gone back to Uk to live - they have not needed to wait for NHS care nor benefits.

I too pay tax on my pension - which is actually private as opposed to government, but I have never heard this mentioned as a reason for giving me free and immediate treatment.

Matilda

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
This is just a thought. The NHS is now split into regional NHS Trusts so I wonder if there are regional variations of policy. There shouldn't be but I guess it's possible!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think I have it sorted.
If you are in reciept of UK STATE pension you can receive all treatment on the NHS

If you are not and you live abroad, whilst you are visiting the UK you can seek emergency treatment/advice from a GP or A&E or walk in centre free of charge but if you are then addmitted to hospital for treatment you can be billed.

If you can convince the hospital that you have returned to the UK to live then it is free.

Like all legislation it looks full of loop holes. I use my daughter's address in the UK for any correspondence. So if I went into hospital and I give that as my address, it matches my UK drivers lisence & bank/credit card so why would they even suspect that I don't live there?