Santo Domingo Furnished vs Unfurnished Appartments

mathij

Jul 28, 2009
Hi,

My wife and I will be moving to Santo Domingo shortly and are being relocated by work. We have a USD2,200 per month housing allowance is this enough to get a nice furnished appartment in Santo Domingo? I notice many of the nicer ones we have been sent to review all seem to start at 2,500 per month furnished - is this the standard rate?

The agent has also not sent any to show with a pool or gym facilities - is this completely aspirational for 2,200 - looking on various online real etstate they showed a couple but our real estate agent has not shared any.

We have considered getting a furnished over unurnished but are not sure of furtiture costs in the DR - is there an Ikea or similar type sop and are prices comparable to Europe or more expensive?

Thanks.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you tell the agent that you can afford $2200, she will show you the $2500 ones, tell her you can afford $1500 and you will see the $1800 ones.

Unfurnished apartments in SD come without appliances or light fixtures so I would say that for a two year stint, you need to look for furnished apartments.

Also know that real estate agents only have their own listings, there is no mulitiple listing service, and since there is not a lot of money in rentals you are going to be on your own a bit.

Ask your employer if they have any leads on where you should be looking. Also know that most landlords are going to want a guarantor, or someone Dominican to sign the lease for them, ask your employer if they have experience with this and how they have handled it before. If you are with a big company (which we assume you are since that is very good housing allowance, they should be doing a lot of this for you)

and no, Ikea is not open yet and furniture is expensive

There are pools and gyms but there are lots of buildings with those facilities in them that should be within your price range.....

hope this helps a bit

but really

your employer
who must be a government or a multinational or the like

should know much more than we peasants here