Where are the Dominicanos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MRJone

In these times of foreign investment coming to the DR, what is happening to the Dominicanos? It seems that each year more foreigners owned more land and businesses and the quality of life for most Dominicans has not improved at all. Instead, it has worsened alone with government corruption. I wonder what needs to change in order for things to get better in the DR for most Dominicans.

Last edited by a moderator:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
In these times of foreign investment coming to the DR, what is happening to the Dominicanos? It seems that each year more foreigners owned more land and businesses and the quality of life for most Dominicans has not improved at all. Instead, it has worsened alone with government corruption. I wonder what needs to change in order for things to get better in the DR for most Dominicans.

Can you imagine how bad it would be without that foreign investment?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You JEST of course MRJone???

The Dominicanos who have accepted the Foreign investors money have gone to ground awaiting the day when they can reclaim their land/property/business once the 'foreigner' makes a muck of it! Dominican Entrepreneurial skills are alive & well!!

Although 'Quality of Life' (as you describe it) has not improved much over the last 4 or 5 years agreed but it is FAR greater than it was 10 / 15 years ago. You should have seen the quality of the cars (& how few of them there were) on the road back in 1994.

You should get out a bit more & meet some of the Dominicans who are still laughing their heads off at 'Foreigner desire' to pay the ASKING price!!. ~ Grahame.

M

MRJone

You JEST of course MRJone???

The Dominicanos who have accepted the Foreign investors money have gone to ground awaiting the day when they can reclaim their land/property/business once the 'foreigner' makes a muck of it! Dominican Entrepreneurial skills are alive & well!!

Although 'Quality of Life' (as you describe it) has not improved much over the last 4 or 5 years agreed but it is FAR greater than it was 10 / 15 years ago. You should have seen the quality of the cars (& how few of them there were) on the road back in 1994.

You should get out a bit more & meet some of the Dominicans who are still laughing their heads off at 'Foreigner desire' to pay the ASKING price!!. ~ Grahame.

The ills of this society are mainly due to the abuse of foreign investors. They were never given a chance and a 1776 never took place here.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Apparently someone must have left the screen door open and let the mosquitos inside!

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

Easy, for things to change, Dominican politicians should not be running the country and we will have a paradise. Just replace them one by one.

Please, no threats of violence, if even in jest...

Gregg
Mod.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Many affluent Dominicans leave the DR to do business elsewhere because of the corruption here. The corruption here has NOTHING to do with foreigners.

Imagine the DR without any resorts, what would all those thousands of people working there be doing? That's right, risking life and limb to get off of this island.

Bottom line is the DR government wastes billions of dollars paying it's politicians more than their worth and funneling the taxes into their pockets either directly or indirectly. Que verguenza!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The ills of this society are mainly due to the abuse of foreign investors. They were never given a chance and a 1776 never took place here.

By the 'ills of this society' you mean theft, corruption, and poverty?

Exactly how did foreigner investors cause this? And why was it all here already, before the investors came?

'1776 never took place' - you are talking about the U.S. Independence from England?

.....Dominican Independence came in 1844..........

This might be better off in the Clown Bin.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Exactly how did foreigner investors cause this? And why was it all here already, before the investors came?

Perhaps he's talking about 1492 :cheeky:? Somehow I doubt it because his grasp of history seems........... tenuous at best.

M

MRJone

Cojo

'1776 never took place' - you are talking about the U.S. Independence from England?

.....Dominican Independence came in 1844..........

This might be better off in the Clown Bin.

It seems you just don't get it. No problem, I'll help you. What I meant is that this country never had its independence. If it was not Spain messing with it, it was the U.S. I'm sure you are aware that the U.S invaded the DR in more than one occasion. Its motive was to protect American companies? exploitation of the Dominican people. The last in U.S occupation took place in 1965 just because Dominicans wanted land redistribution, a constitution and democracy. Yet democracy for the DR does not mean much to the U.S. when a bunch of fat gringos? companies are asked to be sociably responsible by the Dominican people.

The DR is where it is in great part thanks to the U.S abuse of power, the Americans favorite Dominican Rafael Trujillo, and sale-outs like Elias Wessin. When it comes to corruption, let me just say that there was no better Trujillistas than the American Government in those days.

Juan Bosch vive!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It seems you just don't get it. No problem, I'll help you. What I meant is that this country never had its independence. If it was not Spain messing with it, it was the U.S. I'm sure you are aware that the U.S invaded the DR in more than one occasion. Its motive was to protect American companies? exploitation of the Dominican people. The last in U.S occupation took place in 1965 just because Dominicans wanted land redistribution, a constitution and democracy. Yet democracy for the DR does not mean much to the U.S. when a bunch of fat gringos? companies are asked to be sociably responsible by the Dominican people.

The DR is where it is in great part thanks to the U.S abuse of power, the Americans favorite Dominican Rafael Trujillo, and sale-outs like Elias Wessin. When it comes to corruption, let me just say that there was no better Trujillistas than the American Government in those days.

Juan Bosch vive!

I see you have it all figured out. What would be your plan to fix this?

M

MRJone

Sure!!!

yes its all the Yankee Imperialists fault. Bring in Chavez for some real democracy!

This is always your way out; He is the bad guy and we are the good guys. You damm right is b/c of Yankee Imperialism!!! Just read about the history of this country and that should tell you something. Your type of democracy is based on your needs only. In reality, Republicans are afraid of real democracy.

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
How is this thread related to North Coast? ??

and

MRJone, what is your proposed solution to the issue? or the personal attacks were your main goal?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is always your way out; He is the bad guy and we are the good guys. You damm right is b/c of Yankee Imperialism!!! Just read about the history of this country and that should tell you something. Your type of democracy is based on your needs only. In reality, Republicans are afraid of real democracy.

Describe real Democracy. The truth is all countries foreign policy is based on the interests of their own country not some other country. Sometimes this is in direct conflict with democracy. In theory the American republic system of government is in most ways the best form of democracy, but in reality religious beliefs, special interests....etc and partisan politics have the US government acting often not in the best interests of either democracy or the people of the country. The USA is by no means the only country that does this. Cuba and Venezuela's government do not operate in a way that is most benificial to the people of those countrys. In the case of Chavez, it's whatever is in his best interest.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Can you imagine how bad it would be without that foreign investment?
To see what its like for a poor country to try to develop with very little to no foreign investment, all one has to do is see the other side of the mountains.

That deal was so bad, even the trees left! :cheeky:

To the OP, the vast majority of businesses in the DR (even most of the one's you think are foreign -- franchises --) are in the hands of Dominicans. No one is making more money off of the DR than Dominicans, no one has developed the DR more than Dominicans, everything about the DR (good and bad) is due to Dominicans.

-NALs

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dear Mr Jones

If you hate the gringos so much why did you bother to learn English so well?

For that matter I wonder how many relatives you have in nuevaiyol and how much money do they send to their family here in the DR.

Tambien, explicame la rabia que tiene los dominicanos por aprender el ingles y salir de aqui para NY?????

Reactions: jrhartley
Status
Not open for further replies.