Credit Cards

LaxTNT8877

Jul 20, 2009
Hey

I was just wondering what credit cards in the northern parts of the Dominican Republic accepted? and if it is a good idea to use credit cards there for certain purchases instead of having a lot of cash with me?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have used VISA many times, usually in the bigger stores only...and I assume you would be ok with Mastercard too.

Be aware that many places request accompanying photo ID so easiest to carry a drivers license too.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
In places where they are accepted it will be Visa or Mastercard. Remember to let you bank (bank that issues the card) know that you are traveling to the DR other wise they will lock out the card and you will not be able to use it here. They may do that even if you contact them (happened to me once). To be sure I would take two cards (different accounts) with me.

BObK

LaxTNT8877

Jul 20, 2009
so i am guessing that where ever Mastercard is accepted Visa will also be accepted? And does anyone know if American Express is widely accepted too?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You can leave home with out your American Express as it is very rarely accepted here.

BObK

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
best to use debit card...

I would definately NOT rely on using a debit card in the DR, other than for bank withdrawals (at $5 a pop).

I have tried using it in a couple of the larger supermarkets in POP...without success and landed up having to make a cash withdrawal.