Landscape Drainage Help, North Coast

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have drainage problem in my back yard. I believe I need what they call a "french drain" or some other method to divert water from my new swimming pool. I had assumed that the proper drainage would have been incorporated into the design, but the first torrential downpour resulted in disaster.

I can probably do it myself, but would prefer to have it done right by a professional. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,
-D

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have drainage problem in my back yard. I believe I need what they call a "french drain" or some other method to divert water from my new swimming pool. I had assumed that the proper drainage would have been incorporated into the design, but the first torrential downpour resulted in disaster.

I can probably do it myself, but would prefer to have it done right by a professional. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,
-D
A shovel, some drainpipe and a downward slop is all you need for a French Drain.

Very simple.

PM Chip. He's a civil engineer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am assuming that your pool is a tiny bit higher than the surrounding area?

-get a metal tape measure, a pick and shovel and a wheelbarrow.
-Start a few feet from the pool going away and dig down about a meter for the first two meter of length, then a meter 10, then a meter 20.
-Line the bottom half of the trench with stones and fill it in...

Or, Ask Chip, he's an engineer.

HB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
do you have any pictures of the area in question- when it rains hard here no drainage will cope with it and the water just washes over the entire area- maybe a small wall is needed to divert the runoff or gutters on the house if the majority is coming off the roof

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
do you have any pictures of the area in question- when it rains hard here no drainage will cope with it and the water just washes over the entire area- maybe a small wall is needed to divert the runoff or gutters on the house if the majority is coming off the roof

There is a wall. The problem is that the water comes off the roof like a fire hose in 2 places. I think that 2 french drains are the way to go, as gutters will not handle the volume of water in these 2 places.

I really would like a pro to eyeball it so I can get it done once and for all. I am in New York, so I am often at the mercy of others. It's too bad I'm dealing with this after the fact.