Purchasing Ivy in Santiago

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I'd like to cover my concrete partition wall (12 blocks high) with Ivy rather than plastering and painting it.

I've been looking on the web and have come across Boston Ivy, which looks pretty nice.

Could anybody recommend others and advise the best place to purchase them in Santiago.

Many thanks,

Tish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ivy

I don't know the name of it but there is an ivy that grows flat to the wall.
Unlike the Boston ivy, it needs no trimming.

You can see some in Santiago by going up the hill behind Nacional supermarket. There is a huge wall of it up there in the "high rent" district.

Best thing is no maintenance and grows quickly.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I don't know the name of it but there is an ivy that grows flat to the wall.
Unlike the Boston ivy, it needs no trimming.

You can see some in Santiago by going up the hill behind Nacional supermarket. There is a huge wall of it up there in the "high rent" district.

Best thing is no maintenance and grows quickly.

Sounds good. How can I get some? I know exactly where you're talking about. Should I just take it from there wall?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You don't need much and it grows fast. Just water the wall and it climbs up.

I suppose they wouldn't miss a few roots - its practically a weed :))

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
But the watchmen and the police patrolling that area might have other ideas. If you ask, I am sure they will say fine...

HB

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Hi Hillbilly,

We just got back from taking a few of the roots. I saw the police patrolling the area. I must admit, we did look a bit suspicious. They never saw or said anything though. We were over in the opposite corner from where they were sitting/sleeping.

Tish

Last edited:

tish

Mar 10, 2007
I gotta warn ya, it doesn't grow as fast as you may think it does. If you want to fill a wall, better plant some every two feet or so.

Mmm, they are starting to look a bit whithered. I'll check out the greenery that Hillbilly kindly suggested.

Tish

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
passionfruit grows quickly but would need a few wires to cling to- the bonus is you get fruit