Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Whats the tip...?

Ok, I'd like to get a feel for what everyone is tipping these days for different things. We had this conversation last night with a group of friends and well.... the answers were wildly different.

So we have...

Bagging kids as the super

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours

The guy who just washed your car

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway

In fact, it seems I give away a hell of a lot of small change, and it mounts up....

So over to the board, opinions people....

(sorry for the title, should read what's the tip...., having a bad day...)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'd like to get a feel for what everyone is tipping these days for different things. We had this conversation last night with a group of friends and well.... the answers were wildly different.

So we have...

Bagging kids as the superususally 25 pesos or so.

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant25-50 pesos

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal10-15% of the bill

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours25-50 pesos

The guy who just washed your car25-50 pesos

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nailshave no idea?

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anywayNothing

In fact, it seems I give away a hell of a lot of small change, and it mounts up....

So over to the board, opinions people....

(sorry for the title, should read what's the tip...., having a bad day...)[/QUOTE]

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33 View Post
    Bagging kids as the superususally 25 pesos or so.

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant25-50 pesos

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal10-15% of the bill

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours25-50 pesos

The guy who just washed your car25-50 pesos

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nailshave no idea?

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anywayNothing

[/QUOTE]

Badpiece, I have to agree with everything you posted, sounds like exactly what we do. I've never gone to a salon in DR so can't comment on that one either.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry but im not tipping everytime I have my bags packed - sometimes I tip and sometimes I dont

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    sorry but im not tipping everytime I have my bags packed - sometimes I tip and sometimes I dont
    I'll clarify my post - if they just pack we don't always tip, but if they bring it out to the car and pack the groceries into the trunk, we always do....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Bagging kids as the super - 10-15 pesos to young men who bag shopping and take it to the car

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - dunno

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - about 10% of the bill. nothing if service was lousy

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - 20 pesos

The guy who just washed your car - dunno, miesposo's workers wash it for free

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - about 20-50 pesos. i do not tip in the salon because da boss herself does my hair but i slip a note to the girl who washes my hair and a note to the girl who does my nails. sometimes i give nothing if i have no change

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - nothing. if you need them to wash the window then no more than 5 pesos.

i guess i am stingy but i hate when folks take advantage of me just because i am a gringa.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Bagging kids as the super - RD$10

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - RD$25

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - RD$50-100 and that depends.

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - Nothing

The guy who just washed your car - If I didn't ask, nothing.

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - RD$50-100

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - If I ask, RD$5. If they do it anyway, nothing.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for info, the bag boys at Playero in sosua are not paid by Playero. They get tips, only. 10 to 25 pesos depending on the amount of work and the weather!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm about on par with badpiece and I have to agree that if you kept an accurate record over six months it would probably scare you to death LOL Having said that, I don't begrudge it, honest!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    Bagging kids as the super - 10-15 pesos to young men who bag shopping and take it to the car

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - dunno

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - about 10% of the bill. nothing if service was lousy

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - 20 pesos

The guy who just washed your car - dunno, miesposo's workers wash it for free

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - about 20-50 pesos. i do not tip in the salon because da boss herself does my hair but i slip a note to the girl who washes my hair and a note to the girl who does my nails. sometimes i give nothing if i have no change

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - nothing. if you need them to wash the window then no more than 5 pesos.

i guess i am stingy but i hate when folks take advantage of me just because i am a gringa.
    Damn, you lady are sure tacaņa..Don't you get nasty looks when you give those coins to them??

One thing I learned is that I'm going to give out a little amount it is better to give them nothing, at least they will have a reason to complain (not that they have the right, I know).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast