Arriving into POP with LARGE amount of luggage - how to avoid problems?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm posting these questions for a member, any help is appreciated.

I will be landing in the POP airport in the next few days with my parents.

I am arriving to stay for a few years, my parents are just coming for the trip and my wedding.

We will have a total of 8 LARGE suitcases?, 2 large size carryon each (total of 6 carry on items) and my LARGE wedding dress garment bag.

I Would like to know if there are any tips to avoiding excessive amounts of searching and delays at the airport since we have so many things.

One of the suitcases is filled with books and school supplies for a local school.

Most of the suitcases are shoes and clothes.

Any electronics (IPOD docking player, laptop, DJ mixer,wood working tool) are all mine and pre-owned.

My laptop & DJ Mixer will be in my backpack (carry-on)

There are a few household items for the kitchen, yard, bathroom etc, but they are all packed under all the clothes.

Is there any reason that we should rightfully be charged for any of this?

Is there some sort of limit/ allowance on what I can bring into the country since I am relocating? I do not have my work visa issued yet, but a letter of employment from a local company. Would that make any difference?

As well it will be evident we are carrying many things for the wedding (i.e. the huge garment bag with wedding dress, 1 full carryon bag with wedding decorations and items, and many wedding items in the suitcases).

Any advice/ tips on how to proceed in a manner that will make everything as smooth as possible when arriving? Not having to pay any fees or bribes? Would it count for positive to show my letter from my employer and explain I am relocating as well as getting married in the country?

Reactions: alicious

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When we came last October there were 5 of us. We had 10 large suitcases, 5 carry-ons, a car seat, plus 2 laptops in the carry-ons (we had brought our old one along to give to a cousin) and a walker for my mother-in-law (which AA checked for free). We did what we always do. Speak a lot of English to each other about how long the flight was and how tired we are (without being loud about it), don't make eye contact, look a little confused at everything (like when they ask for your baggage tickets to make sure they're your suitcases, dig them out, look puzzled and say "these???"), and they'll wave you right through. This is assuming that none of you look Dominican. If there's a very Dominican looking person with you, sometimes it's best for them to be at the very back of the group, and just follow after you've been waved on, or go through alone with a suitcase with only clothes in it.

My husband calls me "Tourist Theresa" when we do that :cheeky:

It's probably been 20-25 years since we have been stopped at the airport. Believe me, it's not fun when it happens. We've had all our luggage literally emptied and gone through. Then they choose what they want to be difficult about, pack it in a box, and hold it ransom until you pay what they come up with.

Throughout the year we buy suitcases at yard sales and thrift stores that we sanitize and fill with our 'give-away' stuff. We just leave the suitcases there when we come back home.

Reactions: alicious

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The biggest tip to clear customs in POP without problems is to know that they look much more carefully at luggage from scheduled air flights than they do at bags from tourist charters.

When I moved to the DR, I also arrived with a large number of bags. My original arrival date was Sept 14, 2001 with a flight out of JFK. Obviously, that flight was cancelled since JFK was closed for a while after 9-11.

I ended up flying to POP from Toronto on a charter. Customs never looked at my bags at all. I think, generally, they tend to look much harder at passengers on regular flights as opposed to those on charters - who are generally really tourists and not returning Dominicans or prospective expats.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never had my luggage looked at in DR. not even once.
my best trick is to look sick. i manage that easily as i have motion sickness and i look (and feel) like i am about to throw up at the customs people. no one ever wants that. :)
seriously now. it may be good to play the wedding card. i did so when i moved to DR with 42kg of luggage on a charter flight allowing only 20kg. that was on UK side - i said i was going to get married and got extra luggage in free as a wedding gift. bless the girl at check in!
it may work in POP as well. if they ever stop those folks let the bride get blurry eyed and sentimental.

uncle226

Sep 11, 2007
I think the VIP service at POP is options they pick up your luggage for you while you wait at a lounge having a beer and bring it out for you sorry I do not have their @mail or website

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The one thing I see in the OP that "won't fly";) is the bit about 2 large carry-ons each. Airlines are getting pretty strict about the size of carry on bags, and even if they let you push the limit with one, the second carry on is a "personal item". About the most you will get away with on that one is a large laptop case. If they reject your carry on, you will have to check that too, and with as many large bags as you are already taking, your excess baggage charges could get extremely high, and in fact they may not allow it all. I honestly think you may have more problems with the airline than with customs.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Those sound like good tips to me! The tourist card usually works well.I have never travelled with so much luggage myself, I would also think they pay more attention to such a large amount of luggage.

I would assume the OP has already checked with their airlines as to the requirments. It sounds like they are mainly enquiring as to the customs side in the Dominican Republic.

I'm pretty sure for people relocating or moving to the country, I have read here on DR1 there is some additonal sort of allowence of personal items? But that may be only if you already have a visa. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than me could clear that up?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I think the VIP service at POP is options they pick up your luggage for you while you wait at a lounge having a beer and bring it out for you sorry I do not have their @mail or website

I have never heard of this service! That would be great! I would like to look into that for when I fly next!!!

But how can you be sure that if you give them your luggage tags and go out and wait for your stuff, that no one is going to stop and go through your bags?

At least if you are with your bags you can see them be searched if it were to happen!

uncle226

Sep 11, 2007
I have not used the service but my friend has they bring your luggage to the VIP lounge and walk you out to your car or taxi

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I have not used the service but my friend has they bring your luggage to the VIP lounge and walk you out to your car or taxi

Could you possibly get in touch with your friend and find out how to book this and how much it cost? Thanks! :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The only issue is the number of bags being checked, the OP needs to check with their carrier. Many airlines will not accept a third bag and/or charge for it. You may only carry on one bag + a laptop/pp.

VIP service is not a bad idea, I really would not be too concerned about Aduana in POP unless you have new electronics like flat screen TV's...etc. Just act like tourists!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
In my experience, larger amounts of luggage do attract somewhat more attention for the aduanas. I have had my bags checked in POP several times without any problem as I think they are looking mainly for electronics (new, not pre owned as stated by OP). I think another problem is some people immediately adopt an aggressive stance with them which to me would be indicative of "guilt".

Personally, they have always been "nice" and I always supervise any bag inspection carefully. I have never had a problem with large amounts of donated goods, especially for kids and have never been asked or hinted at for money.

Relax, hold your head up high and keep walking.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The only issue is the number of bags being checked, the OP needs to check with their carrier. Many airlines will not accept a third bag and/or charge for it. You may only carry on one bag + a laptop/pp.

VIP service is not a bad idea, I really would not be too concerned about Aduana in POP unless you have new electronics like flat screen TV's...etc. Just act like tourists!

The original poster has it all worked out at the getting on the plane stage. They are more concerned about what will happen with customs when arriving at POP airport.

What is this VIP service? Can someone walk off with all your stuff? Just asking.:paranoid:

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is a VIP lounge in the Puerto Plata airport. The passengers who pass through that salon stay there comfortably while the VIP salon porters pull their bags from the carousel and take care of the tourist card and immigation stamps. We routinely use it for the dental group that travels to Puerto Plata each June to staff the free clinic.

No bags (or anything in the bags) have ever gone missing with the VIP porters. Am not sure of the current price, but it was $20.00 US per person a year ago. Generally, those using that service have less difficulty with Customs.

However, that is not always true. I have memories of arguing for three hours with Customs about an air compressor which was needed to power the dental units (and which was not remaining in the country) because they thought it was a generator. Another year, Customs decided that a medical doctor had to check the expiration dates of all medications being transported by the dentists for use in the clinic. It took a little while, but in both cases the dentists were allowed to pass without paying duties.

We do, of course, notify Customs ahead of time that the group is arriving, why and what they are transporting. Permission is solicited from Salud P?blica and the Director de las Aduanas in Santo Domingo.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Profe,
prior informing in cases like the doctors for the clinic should work best on such.
and of course the VIP service means not that luggage get's pulled out of the airport thru a hidden sidedoor without passing customs, lol.
in case of the OP with the wedding i would recommend to play the "Wedding Tourist Card", don't speak any more spanish than a broken 'hola, es bien?), don't show any employer letter or some may assume you try to make a free household move to the DR.
it's for your Wedding, all the stuff is needed for your Wedding, 'mi matrimonio', stick to it and let them check what ever they want, stick to that and pay nothing.
to have that amount on the plane is no problem,
so the above posters should not worry about that, i guess the OP figured out the way to get that shipped, paying or free doesn't matter. i travel myself quiet often with 3-5 luggages plus carry on plus laptop bag plus lartge Nikon camera bag, just for 1 person, myself, most of the luggages contain clothing and toys for kids as donations, without any papers which state that such is a donation, sometimes i get checked, sometimes not, never been a bigger deal or any real hassle. but in my own case i always fly in to PC, not PoP.
but i would play the happy Bride card.
congrats on the upcoming event
Mike

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
i never had my luggage looked at in DR. not even once.
my best trick is to look sick. i manage that easily as i have motion sickness and i look (and feel) like i am about to throw up at the customs people. no one ever wants that. :)
seriously now. it may be good to play the wedding card. i did so when i moved to DR with 42kg of luggage on a charter flight allowing only 20kg. that was on UK side - i said i was going to get married and got extra luggage in free as a wedding gift. bless the girl at check in!
it may work in POP as well. if they ever stop those folks let the bride get blurry eyed and sentimental.

Those are great tricks DV8! LOL
Will have to use them someday.

Jan 17, 2009
As long as neither of you looks Latino, you shouldn't have a problem in POP. They rarely check the suit cases of tourist, but if you're like me, Hispanic, I can never get through without them checking (not so when I travel with my gringo husband!). Having said that, they never took anything from my suitcases (albeit they did ask for money a couple of times and I firmly said no.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I have never tried it, but I have read previously on this forum that one way to get around this is to use the services of the porters in the baggage claim. They'll know some English, but if you speak Spanish well enough, explain to the porter that you have all this luggage and if he can get it though customs easily and if your bags don't get searched, you'll give a $20 propina.(or more, depending on the amount of tax you could possibly have to pay if you were checked) The porter almost certainly has an inside deal with at least one of the customs officers, so you just follow him pushing your bags on his trolly to aduana, the porter gives some sort of a discreet signal to his inside officer, you hand your declaration to the officer and you both walk right though. Later on, the porter shares his takings with the officer.

My own personal experience based on many many encounters with Dominican Customs. (A gringo, but not dressed as a tourist at the airport, with moderate Spanish skills but not fluent)

SDQ airport- Most of the time waved right through. Once was asked a question or two in Spanish and then waved through. Never had my bags gone through
STI airport- Used only once so far. Questioned briefly in Spanish about my purpose of visit,and my nationality, then waived right through.
POP airport- Always waived right though without them even saying a word.
PUJ airport -My bags have been searched by aduana every single time! My last arrival at PUJ airport (April 2009) I was on a flight arriving from San Juan, grabbed my bags, and even when I was still at the baggage belt and I turned to walk towards aduana the officer was looking straight at me from that distance and was pointing to his table.

So go figure. I arrive at largest entry point for tourists to the DR and I am always checked. Everywhere else, never.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
When I arrived on POP about 2 months ago on a Continental flight I did not a even see any customs officers , just a few porters.

I have arrived through this airport probably 20 times in the last 5 years and have only been stopped once, when they started to open my bags I just said it was not necessary and they closed my bag and waved me through. Wish it was that easy for everyone!!