Hate to say it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I hate to say it but the DR is really becoming f....d up!!!!!!
Yesterday evening an Italian family that recently moved here got held up in their home here in Juan Dolio, they have 2 young teenage kids who were also in the home. The 2 robbers shot at the woman, tied up the husband and beat him up while requesting money which they got as well as some jewelry, a laptop and several cell phones.
There?ve been too many robberies lately and the fricking cops are doing nothing!!!!!!!!
Met the new coronel last weekend and I asked him what was going on with the increase in robberies. His answer was "what robberies and what increase"?
No one is save here anymore and I strongly believe that it will increase in the future.
Since the cops are not doing anything maybe we need vigilantes!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and miesposo wonders why i go around the house double checking all the locks...

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
And for those who dont think there is a big/growing drug problem in the DR (hard drugs like coke, crack), these type of violent, home invasion crimes suggest otherwise.
Unfortunately drugs is rapidly changing the entire Caribbean.

Crimes like these will only grow because the criminals know there is no rapid police response system. Or even worse the cops are involved somehow.

This family will never feel safe in their home again.
Happy they are alive.

BTW how did they enter the home? So others can be cautioned and beef up security.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Get ready for the
"Crime happens everywhere, not just in the D.R."
responses to this post!

I hope they are okay after this experience, hell of a way to have to live.

SantiagoDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sorry for their experience. this sort of stuff is definitely on the increase.

I would hope that sometime, someone would blast the mf'ers to hell!!

HB

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
And for those who dont think there is a big/growing drug problem in the DR (hard drugs like coke, crack), these type of violent, home invasion crimes suggest otherwise.
Unfortunately drugs is rapidly changing the entire Caribbean.

Crimes like these will only grow because the criminals know there is no rapid police response system. Or even worse the cops are involved somehow.

This family will never feel safe in their home again.
Happy they are alive.

BTW how did they enter the home? So others can be cautioned and beef up security.

It is unfortunate, I used to live in Juan Dolio and although crime does happen everywhere, it hurts to hear that someone who just got here has become a victim. My heart goes out to this family.

I was in Juan Dolio over the weekend and I notice that there is so much new construction yet very few people, and the construction sites are open, so there are lots of places for thieves to hide out. There are a lot of open lots with high vegetation, poor lighting etc. I would recommend anyone living in houses especially should have a watchman and a dog.

There is a municipal election in November and I know that safety is a major topic. Let's hope for the best!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
SantiagoDR
That typical response does get tiring.

Its not about bashing the DR. The point is people need to be aware and share information so they can better protect themselves.
Because as we speak these criminals are looking for their next unsuspecting target.
It was an easy crime to commit, they got what they wanted and they successfully got away. They are not going to stop until they are jailed or killed....hopefully the later.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002

When seconds count, the police are [DR] minutes away.............

Armed and ready is better than ready to be alarmed!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I was in Juan Dolio over the weekend and I notice that there is so much new construction yet very few people, and the construction sites are open, so there are lots of places for thieves to hide out. There are a lot of open lots with high vegetation, poor lighting etc. I would recommend anyone living in houses especially should have a watchman and a dog.

Well criminals go for the easiest target.
From the way you described the area and the fact that they are new would make them a very easy target.
Most foreigners are not use to being 'on guard' in their own house, which makes them an even easier target.

A well trained dog (not forgetting dogs are frequently poisened), a trained and reliable watchman and other security measures for those living in that area are good suggestions.

rake

Jan 11, 2007
The same thing happened to us last Tuesday night.
We live in a house in Juan Dolio with our two young children.
My husband went out into the garden just after midnight to lock up the casita and was jumped by at least 3 armed men who beat him to the ground with their guns, continued to beat him and then tied him up.
My husband shouted to me to lock the security gates to the house, this prompted the robbers to then beat and kick him until he was almost unconcious and tape up his mouth.
When I went onto the terrace to lock the gates one of our large dogs let out a pathetic bark. At this the armed men locked my husband in the casita and fled.
It wasn't until the next morning that we realized why the dogs did nothing more, they were laid in the garden convulsing and throwing up. In their vomit we noticed a lot of salami (including the wrapper) we dont buy salami and the dogs had obviously been poisoned. This made the whole ordeal much worse when you know that these people had preselected us as a target and had clearly been earlier to take care of the dogs.
Our house has security bars on every door and window which you would hope would give you a bit of protection. In the early hours of the morning when the police arrived we walked around the perimiter of the house and under our bedroom window we found four, three foot iron bars. We can only assume that these robbers were intending to remove the security bars from the window while we slept. This is not at all reassuring especially when we have young children.
One more worrying factor is that although all these men were masked with clothing over their faces and heads, they were wearing military/police style black high lace polished boots. One would expect the common bandito to be wearing worn out trainers. Another point is that these men were Dominicans and not Haitians, a point that proves very difficult to convince the police of.
Last week when this happened, we were the sixth people we know of to be robbed by people of a similar description using similar methods in that the man was tied up, that the robbers used tape on their victims mouths. There are slight differences in how the robberies/attempted robberies took place and there is no definate proof that these are all being carried out by the same group of people. A lot of coincidence though if not.

Juan Dolio used to have a syndicate of residents who used to bring matters of urgency to the police or governing bodies in a hope to resolve issues. I think that we seriously could use something similar to pressure the police or government into addressing this latest spate of violent crime.

To all those who love to point out that crime is on the increase everywhere in the world: the rest of the world steps up the forces to fight the crime. What happens here? Nothing!

Jun 18, 2007
Rake, I know about your ordeal because you live just behind me and I?m happy that you live to tell it and that no "serious" harm was done.
Must say that the family that got robbed last night live almost at the end of the Boulevard and had left the door open because they were having dinner so these guys just walked in, that was a bit naive I must admit. What I heard from the lady though it sounds that they were observed and being targeted just as Rake mentioned they were.
One doesn?t really feel safe anymore with the police not doing what they?re supposed to.

Jun 18, 2007
Well criminals go for the easiest target.
From the way you described the area and the fact that they are new would make them a very easy target.
Most foreigners are not use to being 'on guard' in their own house, which makes them an even easier target.

This is true!!

A well trained dog (not forgetting dogs are frequently poisened), a trained and reliable watchman and other security measures for those living in that area are good suggestions.

Why would one want to live in "paradise" when one has to live in "Fort Knox"?
Where?s the fun in that?

Jun 18, 2007
My husband went out into the garden just after midnight to lock up the casita and was jumped by at least 3 armed men who beat him to the ground with their guns, continued to beat him and then tied him up.
My husband shouted to me to lock the security gates to the house, this prompted the robbers to then beat and kick him until he was almost unconcious and tape up his mouth.
When I went onto the terrace to lock the gates one of our large dogs let out a pathetic bark. At this the armed men locked my husband in the casita and fled.
It wasn't until the next morning that we realized why the dogs did nothing more, they were laid in the garden convulsing and throwing up. In their vomit we noticed a lot of salami (including the wrapper) we dont buy salami and the dogs had obviously been poisoned. This made the whole ordeal much worse when you know that these people had preselected us as a target and had clearly been earlier to take care of the dogs.
Our house has security bars on every door and window which you would hope would give you a bit of protection. In the early hours of the morning when the police arrived we walked around the perimiter of the house and under our bedroom window we found four, three foot iron bars. We can only assume that these robbers were intending to remove the security bars from the window while we slept. This is not at all reassuring especially when we have young children.
One more worrying factor is that although all these men were masked with clothing over their faces and heads, they were wearing military/police style black high lace polished boots. One would expect the common bandito to be wearing worn out trainers. Another point is that these men were Dominicans and not Haitians, a point that proves very difficult to convince the police of.
Last week when this happened, we were the sixth people we know of to be robbed by people of a similar description using similar methods in that the man was tied up, that the robbers used tape on their victims mouths. There are slight differences in how the robberies/attempted robberies took place and there is no definate proof that these are all being carried out by the same group of people. A lot of coincidence though if not.

Juan Dolio used to have a syndicate of residents who used to bring matters of urgency to the police or governing bodies in a hope to resolve issues. I think that we seriously could use something similar to pressure the police or government into addressing this latest spate of violent crime.

To all those who love to point out that crime is on the increase everywhere in the world: the rest of the world steps up the forces to fight the crime. What happens here? Nothing!

One of last nights robbers had a large tattoo on the left forearm, does that sound familiar?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I am sorry to hear the bad news. Like Lambada, I hope that your family and your dear dogs have recovered. I wish you a full recovery from the emotional stress of this unfortunate incident.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow,
that's hard to take.
sounds like you have a gang in your 'hood which is well protected by the local authorities there.
of course we have robberies here on the east, too, there is no area without, but if such similar thing happens here the cops are in the area present all night long, and not just after 6 or more occurances of such hefty assaults.
decsriptions of the robbers like written above would lead to a huge collection of guys to get questioned.
to hear that nothiong is done down at your place brings really into mind that 'they' maybe directly involved.
there are not too many civilians wearing i.e. those shoes aso aso, with such points as basic the cops have a good start.
doing nothing is not looking any good.
while i say myself get armed and shoot 'em to he$$,
yeap,
it is not everybody's thingy,
if the husband would have had a shotgun or 9mm in his hands when walking the garden around midnight and they jumped on him could have lead that they take his gun and shot the wife with it.
it sorrily sounds like you guys have to close your doors and windows on sundown, and you need to go together and visit the cops together, like a little demonstartion, take the neighbours and go all together there, with your kids to pressure the ones who should be out there and check your streets every night.

i hope they get them before somebody get's really hurt or killed.
even the trauma of such situtation is injury enough, and even more for the kids.
good luck
Mike

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

I was also horrified to hear last week of your dreadful experience (from a mutual friend of ours) and truly hope you and your family are starting to recover from the awful trauma. Knowing you were not the first and, obviously not the last, before these dreadful perpetrators are captured and punished is more than worrying, especially as it seems that the alleged 'police force' have little knowledge and even less care of what is actually taking place. The sooner they are identified and incarcerated the better for everyone in your area, that is for sure.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Two horrible and chilling stories. I'm glad no one lost their lives and I hope each of you recover from what must have been a horrible experience.

But if the police are the thugs responsible for these and, no doubt, other crimes, what then do you do? What can you do?

Last edited: