Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hate to say it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it but the DR is really becoming f....d up!!!!!!
    Yesterday evening an Italian family that recently moved here got held up in their home here in Juan Dolio, they have 2 young teenage kids who were also in the home. The 2 robbers shot at the woman, tied up the husband and beat him up while requesting money which they got as well as some jewelry, a laptop and several cell phones.
    There´ve been too many robberies lately and the fricking cops are doing nothing!!!!!!!!
    Met the new coronel last weekend and I asked him what was going on with the increase in robberies. His answer was "what robberies and what increase"?
    No one is save here anymore and I strongly believe that it will increase in the future.
    Since the cops are not doing anything maybe we need vigilantes!!!!
    Last edited by FireGuy; 07-30-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Duplicate removed.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and miesposo wonders why i go around the house double checking all the locks...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And for those who dont think there is a big/growing drug problem in the DR (hard drugs like coke, crack), these type of violent, home invasion crimes suggest otherwise.
    Unfortunately drugs is rapidly changing the entire Caribbean.

Crimes like these will only grow because the criminals know there is no rapid police response system. Or even worse the cops are involved somehow.

This family will never feel safe in their home again.
    Happy they are alive.

BTW how did they enter the home? So others can be cautioned and beef up security.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Get ready for the
    "Crime happens everywhere, not just in the D.R."
    responses to this post!

I hope they are okay after this experience, hell of a way to have to live.

SantiagoDR

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry for their experience. this sort of stuff is definitely on the increase.

I would hope that sometime, someone would blast the mf'ers to hell!!

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I am sorry for their experience. this sort of stuff is definitely on the increase.

I would hope that sometime, someone would blast the mf'ers to hell!!

HB
    Amen to that...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thandie View Post
    And for those who dont think there is a big/growing drug problem in the DR (hard drugs like coke, crack), these type of violent, home invasion crimes suggest otherwise.
    Unfortunately drugs is rapidly changing the entire Caribbean.

Crimes like these will only grow because the criminals know there is no rapid police response system. Or even worse the cops are involved somehow.

This family will never feel safe in their home again.
    Happy they are alive.

BTW how did they enter the home? So others can be cautioned and beef up security.
    It is unfortunate, I used to live in Juan Dolio and although crime does happen everywhere, it hurts to hear that someone who just got here has become a victim. My heart goes out to this family.

I was in Juan Dolio over the weekend and I notice that there is so much new construction yet very few people, and the construction sites are open, so there are lots of places for thieves to hide out. There are a lot of open lots with high vegetation, poor lighting etc. I would recommend anyone living in houses especially should have a watchman and a dog.

There is a municipal election in November and I know that safety is a major topic. Let's hope for the best!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

SantiagoDR
    That typical response does get tiring.

Its not about bashing the DR. The point is people need to be aware and share information so they can better protect themselves.
    Because as we speak these criminals are looking for their next unsuspecting target.
    It was an easy crime to commit, they got what they wanted and they successfully got away. They are not going to stop until they are jailed or killed....hopefully the later.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thandie View Post
    When seconds count, the police are [DR] minutes away.............

Armed and ready is better than ready to be alarmed!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikke View Post
    I was in Juan Dolio over the weekend and I notice that there is so much new construction yet very few people, and the construction sites are open, so there are lots of places for thieves to hide out. There are a lot of open lots with high vegetation, poor lighting etc. I would recommend anyone living in houses especially should have a watchman and a dog.
    Well criminals go for the easiest target.
    From the way you described the area and the fact that they are new would make them a very easy target.
    Most foreigners are not use to being 'on guard' in their own house, which makes them an even easier target.

A well trained dog (not forgetting dogs are frequently poisened), a trained and reliable watchman and other security measures for those living in that area are good suggestions.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast