Murder / Arson / Robbery...........

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Last night (Wednesday) someone or some people killed the watchmen at the last food stand on Costambar beach and then proceeded to burn him and the stand and everything in it..........

The Watchman, a Haitian had 9 children....

We live about 1 block away and tonight our guest house, which faces another street, was completely ransacked while we were here along with 2 night watchmen on duty, the daytime watchman in his quarters with this family and 2 dogs on the property...........

They completely pulled off the bars from the front stationary full size slider and smashed the window, entered the property, proceeded to empty almost every room and then took off with the watchman chasing him over walls etc........ he was not caught.........

The Costambar security etc all came and everyone searched the area for a while but they were unable to find anyone..............

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/noticias/nacionales/julio2009/delincuentesmatanhaitianoen.htm

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Unfortunately I fear with the present day economy more stories like this will be heard, desperate times cause desperate people to act desperately.

Only advice is to be vigilant and to take all due precautions.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Sorry to hear about that.

A friend of mine just rented an apartment there and I thought he was kidding when he said you cannot even enter this area without fear for your life.

This area is quite nice but riddled with crime....WHY is that ?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
15 years.........

...........we have lived in Costambar and have never had a problem until today..........

........I have always said that having the watchmen, whether they can do much or not, was a good thing, since if someone wanted to break into a house there were plenty that didn't have watchmen, so why would they come here.......

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
OMG! That is horrible :( How will his family survive without him? Will the community help them?

In Costambar? really? I always felt safe when I was there before!

All these stories in the DR are starting to scare me! I lived there before, and will again soon.

Is it that much worse than a few years ago?? Honestly?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
OMG! That is horrible :( How will his family survive without him? Will the community help them?

In Costambar? really? I always felt safe when I was there before!

All these stories in the DR are starting to scare me! I lived there before, and will again soon.

Is it that much worse than a few years ago?? Honestly?

Actually in the first part of the 2000's it was worse, but that doesn't take away the precarious situation we are living in right now. Leonel should bring Candelier out of retirement and put him in front of the PN again. Those burglars are serial killers and they deserve to be shot on the spot.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Actually in the first part of the 2000's it was worse, but that doesn't take away the precarious situation we are living in right now. Leonel should bring Candelier out of retirement and put him in front of the PN again. Those burglars are serial killers and they deserve to be shot on the spot.

At about that time I opened the hotel-guesthouse The Sand Trap Inn now called Blackbeards. I remember the problem but the name I remember was "The Cobra" and he was ruthless with any caught robbers-killers. Is this the same person? If he's still active bring him back to clean up this problem and it's not just confined to Costambar it's all along the north coast as far as I can tell.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I am sooooo sorry, how awful.

Hopefully your story will encourage other DR1ers to step up their security and be a little more careful if nothing else. I for one will be having a serious chat with my other half about this and the other stories in Juan Dolio and insisting we protect ourselves better.

Sigh, putting myself at risk was always a choice but now i have a daughter and its my job to keep her safe and i wonder if by living here in the DR we are doing so. We were burgled when i was a youngster back in the U.K, but i have never gone to bed fearing what might happen in the night time until i lived here. Its not the burglary that worries me, they are welcome to everything i have got if they dont harm me or my family, but it does some to be an added bonus for them to injur, rape or murder their victims also.

Sigh

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I remember the problem but the name I remember was "The Cobra" and he was ruthless with any caught robbers-killers. Is this the same person?

No, I don't think it's the same person. Candelier was a national 'hero' & subsequently formed a political party. 'The Cobra' was a north coast local 'hero', who, if I'm not mistaken actually lives in Costambar - certainly has a house there.

Did I understand correctly, POP Bad Boy? The robbery occurred while you were on the premises? I hope there was no harm to you or staff.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when we come back home late there is usually a police car and armed police stopping cars on a road out of POP. just behind la bomba texaco.
they are searching for guns and drugs.
i wish they did that to all cars entering costambar...

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Unfortunately I fear with the present day economy more stories like this will be heard, desperate times cause desperate people to act desperately.

Only advice is to be vigilant and to take all due precautions.

I hear what you're saying but this isn't stealing some food to feed your family, to murder someone and then burn their body goes against every basic instinct of human decency and the offenders can have absoloutly NO mitigation for such a sick crime! Can anything be done to help the family?

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I was in POP for the first two weeks of July and spent quite a bit of time in Costambar. While there, I was fortunate enough to participate in a beach day for a group of local orphans.I had never been to Costambar before and thought that it was a great place. I remember thinking that it would be a good place to live because of it being a gated community.I guess that doesn`t really matter though...If the will is there to commit violence and harm then they will find a way to get in...
It sickens me to know that such a horrible, senseless act of violence occured there. My heart goes out to the mans family...I hope that whoever did this is caught and punished.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I was in POP for the first two weeks of July and spent quite a bit of time in Costambar. While there, I was fortunate enough to participate in a beach day for a group of local orphans.I had never been to Costambar before and thought that it was a great place. I remember thinking that it would be a good place to live because of it being a gated community.I guess that doesn`t really matter though...If the will is there to commit violence and harm then they will find a way to get in...
It sickens me to know that such a horrible, senseless act of violence occured there. My heart goes out to the mans family...I hope that whoever did this is caught and punished.

Correct, even though a lot of people think that a gate and fence will keep the crooks away forget it!! Know of a story here in JD that they entered the Metro Country Club and killed the guard of a house with his own gun. They were after the owner but he wasn?t in. The guard had been working for about 10 years for his boss and his family got chump change from the employer even though he is one of the richest men in the country.
There?s no respect here and I fear it will be getting worse!!!!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Yes.............

No, I don't think it's the same person. Candelier was a national 'hero' & subsequently formed a political party. 'The Cobra' was a north coast local 'hero', who, if I'm not mistaken actually lives in Costambar - certainly has a house there.

Did I understand correctly, POP Bad Boy? The robbery occurred while you were on the premises? I hope there was no harm to you or staff.[/QUOTE
We all happened to be in the front part of the property, and since it was quite early ........prolly between 7 and 8.........the watchmen were not walking to the front of the rear house....where the entry occurred.........Then when they started to the guy ran out and jumped a wall and they chased him and lost...............He must have been inside for over 1/2 hour since every room was ransacked...........surprisingly, the only thing that seems to be missing so far is a DVD player..............There are 4 TV's in that house and they weren't touched...........

The bars were made to look like "string"..........and the large plate glass door was shattered.........

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
The bars were made to look like "string"..........and the large plate glass door was shattered.........

If I am not mistaken these bastards use a tool similar to a crow-bar to bend the bars. Dominican ladrones are some very crafty ones!