Travel sickness pills??

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
This post is a seems rather insignificant after reading about robberies, murders and such in the two previous posts, but here goes anyway...

I suffer terribly from travel sickness and am wondering if pills are avaliable here to prevent it?

If so what are they called?

Do you need a pescription?

And can anyone recommend particular type that really work?

Thank you

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
This post is a seems rather insignificant after reading about robberies, murders and such in the two previous posts, but here goes anyway...

I suffer terribly from travel sickness and am wondering if pills are avaliable here to prevent it?

If so what are they called?

Do you need a pescription?

And can anyone recommend particular type that really work?

Thank you

I'm sure any pharmacy would have Dimenhydrinate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or Gravol. It's not prescribed in Canada but it's behind the counter because a lot of people abuse it... maybe to keep it away from kids. It makes you a bit groggy.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
There is also Ginger Gravol which doesn't make you drowsy. Not sure if they sell it in DR though, but I would think if they sell regular Gravol then they would have the non-drowsy ginger Gravol as well. At most it would be over the counter. Definitely no prescription needed.

Last edited:

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
They sell dramamina here - same as the gravol. sold in the us as dramamine. No prescription required.may cause drowsiness.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have very bad motion sickness and none of those non-drowsy pills for wimps work for me.
dramamine or dramidom and dramanol are all the same compound - dimenhydrinate and they are all sold without prescription in all DR pharmacies.
if you suffer severely do not be fooled that weak pill for kiddos will make you better - it won't.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
i have very bad motion sickness and none of those non-drowsy pills for wimps work for me.
dramamine or dramidom and dramanol are all the same compound - dimenhydrinate and they are all sold without prescription in all DR pharmacies.
if you suffer severely do not be fooled that weak pill for kiddos will make you better - it won't.

Yeah i know its not funny right! I was fine for years but as soon as i got pregnant it started again and hasnt gone away.

I have to go to Santo Domingo on monday for a meeting and i cant turn up green!!

Which would you recommend dv8?

Thanks x

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dramamina is by far the best - all others are generic stuff. they work too but side effects are most bearable on dramamina.
i've been suffering form motion sickness all my life and travelling is such pain...
take one pill and have plenty of water with you.
if you are travelling in metro/caribe go to the driver, explain that you may get sick and he will let you sit next to him. it helps to have the full view of the road. it will be hot as AC is directed at the driver only but it is still worth it.
otherwise sit in front of the bus, look in the window or straight ahead and do not talk.
if you are travelling by car sit in front and ask the driver to keep steady speed.
oh, you may want to squeeze lime in your water, it will also help.
have a safe and pleasant journey.

Reactions: laurajane

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
dramamina is by far the best - all others are generic stuff. they work too but side effects are most bearable on dramamina.
i've been suffering form motion sickness all my life and travelling is such pain...
take one pill and have plenty of water with you.
if you are travelling in metro/caribe go to the driver, explain that you may get sick and he will let you sit next to him. it helps to have the full view of the road. it will be hot as AC is directed at the driver only but it is still worth it.
otherwise sit in front of the bus, look in the window or straight ahead and do not talk.
if you are travelling by car sit in front and ask the driver to keep steady speed.
oh, you may want to squeeze lime in your water, it will also help.
have a safe and pleasant journey.

I like to ride in the front but Mr Lj doesnt think its safe, however thats what i did last time. If i cant for some reason i do sit next to the window and Mr Lj knows not to talk to me.

There used to be a elastic bracelet you could buy in the uk with a small bobble attached to the wrist band that was designed to sit inbetween the two tendons on the wrist, some kind of acupuncture thing, but it did work to a degree. So know i sit there with the tip of my thumb inbetween the two tendons, but it just isnt enough.

Ok well thanks i will pick some pills up today.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I too have bad motion sickness and the only medicine that works for me is the Transderm-V(scopolamine 1.5mg) disc. In Canada you need a prescription.

Well I always have a prescription and I think you need one.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
escopolamina in spanish.
this is the patch, right? to stick on your skin? never tried it myself but i am checking with miesposo's farmacia whether it is available in DR.
will let you know.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
escopolamina in spanish.
this is the patch, right? to stick on your skin? never tried it myself but i am checking with miesposo's farmacia whether it is available in DR.
will let you know.

yes a very small patch to stick behing the ear

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
You may think I am a little 'loca' for this suggestion but I can assure you that it worked for me overy many years. When I was a youngster, my parents hired a car to go on holiday but, just 25 miles from home, I was really 'green' and really suffering. The advice of an AA Patrol man was to sit on a newspaper - willing to try anything (even an old wives' tale), I duly sat on newsprint and never felt ill again in the 2000 miles we did on that holiday. For many years to follow, I would never get in a vehicle without my newspaper and suffered no more motion sickness. Am sure some will say that it was psychosomatic but, at 7 years old, I did not know the meaning of that word.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
You may think I am a little 'loca' for this suggestion but I can assure you that it worked for me overy many years. When I was a youngster, my parents hired a car to go on holiday but, just 25 miles from home, I was really 'green' and really suffering. The advice of an AA Patrol man was to sit on a newspaper - willing to try anything (even an old wives' tale), I duly sat on newsprint and never felt ill again in the 2000 miles we did on that holiday. For many years to follow, I would never get in a vehicle without my newspaper and suffered no more motion sickness. Am sure some will say that it was psychosomatic but, at 7 years old, I did not know the meaning of that word.

Bless you, well i am glad it worked. But i have been suffering with this problem for years and it really is very bad, on those buses with the bouncy suspension is the worst, stopping, starting.

I am going to get the pills or maybe the patch if avaliable as i just dont think i can do another santo domingo run without it. xx

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
best ones I ever found are called Stugeron. They are available otc in the UK (not much help to you!!) non drowsy and no side effects. Know it is not much help for you for Monday but I will bring some up when I come and see you!!!

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I suffered horribly as a child with this & my parents were 'old school' - frequent trips London to Brighton by coach & no pills 'she'll get over it quicker without pills' :ermm:. I ended up really hating our family days out to Brighton. The remedy for me was driving a Land Rover across the Sahara but I appreciate you wouldn't have time to fit this in before Monday :cheeky:. I'd second all of the above advice (sit at front, lots of water etc) but also try some relaxation techniques in advance of the journey - controlled deep breathing, almost self hypnosis. The only time it ever came back slightly in my case was in small airplanes when someone else was doing aerobatics. The moment I took over & it was me doing them, no nausea. The other thing to do is 'drive' the bus on Monday in your mind - you don't get this when you drive yourself, do you? So sit in front and 'go through the motions' changing gears, braking etc in your mind. Unless of course the dramamine have knocked you out & you're peacefully sleeping.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I suffered horribly as a child with this & my parents were 'old school' - frequent trips London to Brighton by coach & no pills 'she'll get over it quicker without pills' :ermm:. I ended up really hating our family days out to Brighton. The remedy for me was driving a Land Rover across the Sahara but I appreciate you wouldn't have time to fit this in before Monday :cheeky:. I'd second all of the above advice (sit at front, lots of water etc) but also try some relaxation techniques in advance of the journey - controlled deep breathing, almost self hypnosis. The only time it ever came back slightly in my case was in small airplanes when someone else was doing aerobatics. The moment I took over & it was me doing them, no nausea. The other thing to do is 'drive' the bus on Monday in your mind - you don't get this when you drive yourself, do you? So sit in front and 'go through the motions' changing gears, braking etc in your mind. Unless of course the dramamine have knocked you out & you're peacefully sleeping.

Good tip, maybe i can buy one of those plastic steering wheels for children that sticks on the dash board ha ha...imagine, might be quite fun actually.

I really do try to take my mind of it but its just so miserable, before we have paid a taxi to take us so i can sit in the front and we can stop for a break if needs be, but dont really like the idea of spending so much more when it could be avoided.

Well i will get my pills and hopefully i will be resonably with it and not half asleep at the meeting, slurring my words :eek:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
give yourself at least 1 hour between arrival and the meeting. take coffee and a meal and drowsiness will be gone.
btw it is also said that motion sickness diminishes with the age but i am afraid you won't manage to age any more than 3 days before that monday meeting.
may not be enough ;)