Cell Phone Service Recommendations?

remedy4

Jul 23, 2009
I want the cheapest one possible. Preferably I dont even want to buy a new phone - Id like to use the Nokia I use in the states, and just swap the SIM card.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
As long as you have an unlocked cell phone, you will be able to do this with one of the local service providers for a nominal fee.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have service with Orange. I have no contract and if I recall...its been a few years...I paid around RD$300 for their SIM card. All I do is add minutes as required.

Feb 7, 2007
It costs RD$100 to activate with Orange, Viva, and Claro.

Viva's "cheapest" part comes in per-minute charges - that's when you are on a prepaid basis, no contract.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I want the cheapest one possible. Preferably I dont even want to buy a new phone - Id like to use the Nokia I use in the states, and just swap the SIM card.

Viva-prepaid cards
50.00 pesos
60.00 pesos
70.00 pesos
100.00 pesos (20 minutes to USA)
**200.00** pesos card is the best value...

VIVA

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
I just arrived from Canada, Rogers, the phone co in Ontario, told me yes take the phone to DR and just swap out the sim.....went to Claro and they said it had to be unlocked, and that there was a both upstairs in the mall that could do it....for $40 usd. I am leary of handing my phone over to them. how can I tell if it is locked?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The most you should pay to "Unlock" a phone is $RD200, MAX $RD300, it takes all of 5 minutes, you are clearly being taken for a ride, especially if they are quoting you in USD! Remove the SIM card first so it does not roam, and go to another phone shop.

A cheap Alcatel phone can be purchased already activated for $RD300, includes a $RD100 card.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I use Viva and when I put in 250 RD I get bonus minutes; when I'm on a call I think it's longer than 10 minutes I get bonus minutes. Recently my phone died and I bought a new phone for RD300 (at Viva in Playero). The woman there is very nice and accommodating and speaks English.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Oh, since they're all about the same price, where you live is more important to be sure you have good service there.

Feb 7, 2007
The most you should pay to "Unlock" a phone is $RD200, MAX $RD300, it takes all of 5 minutes, you are clearly being taken for a ride, especially if they are quoting you in USD!

Not really. Cheapo phones can be unlocked for 200-300 pesos. Expensive phones that recently entered the market are not that easy.

Three years ago I was charged 800 pesos for unlocking then-brand-new-cool Motorola L7. Two years ago, when I got Nokia N73, they didn't even want to touch it here (I visited all "unlockers" in Higuey) and had to get it unlocked in Europe for 25 Euro.

If the phone this guy talks about is a brand new hot phone with lots of security features, they may not want to touch it, and if they do they ask for top $$ (risks involved = damaged equipment = reimbursement).
Gone are the days when you could get unlock code for Nokia on-line in real time for 3.99 (still possible for older models). Nowadays, carrier lock is in firmware or OS, and it takes time, patience and skills t unlock.

roshans

Nov 25, 2013
As long as you have an unlocked cell phone, you will be able to do this with one of the local service providers for a nominal fee.

Yes i agree with you ,If it a locked GSM mobile means also he can do it by unlocking his mobile.To unlock his mobile he can get the service d\from an online vendor like Classicunlocking.com .To get the service he need to submit his mobile model,country name,network name and IMEI number.