Hotel Roma?

totallyi2009

Jun 19, 2009
I am arriving to SDQ 2 days prio to my extended family's arrival. I wanted to spend a couple of days with my girlfriend alone :))
I have a dilemma here...My novia lives in La Vega. She can easily travel to any part of the country via Caribe Tours. First, I though that we may stay in Boca Chica. But after reading many horrible reviews of BC, I decided to switch to Santo Domingo (and I am eyeing hotel Roma). My prime concern is for parking of my rental car on the street there. How easy to find a spot there? How safe?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I walked past Hotel Roma today. It is located on the corner of El Conde and Durate. There is on street parking and a parking garage next door but I do not believe it is part of the hotel. I took a few pictures in case you do not know what the outside looks like. You can always play it safe and put the hubcaps in the trunk. I learned from experience. Most of the car rentals are now using the plastic ty wrap to secure the hubcaps. It makes it a little harder to steal them but still not impossible.

I am arriving to SDQ 2 days prio to my extended family's arrival. I wanted to spend a couple of days with my girlfriend alone :))
I have a dilemma here...My novia lives in La Vega. She can easily travel to any part of the country via Caribe Tours. First, I though that we may stay in Boca Chica. But after reading many horrible reviews of BC, I decided to switch to Santo Domingo (and I am eyeing hotel Roma). My prime concern is for parking of my rental car on the street there. How easy to find a spot there? How safe?

totallyi2009

Jun 19, 2009
Bigbird, thank you for your reply. Can you post those pics please.
Also, what's the quickest, easiest way from SDQ to hotel Roma?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bigbird, thank you for your reply. Can you post those pics please.
Also, what's the quickest, easiest way from SDQ to hotel Roma?

The hotel is on top of a store and the entrance is on Durate. I never saw a sign which said Hotel Roma but a taxi driver assured me it was the hotel.

Quickest, easiest way from SDQ? Will you be arriving at night? If so, forget driving. Have you driven in the DR before and are you familiar with SD? If not, forget renting a car.

If your plans are to just hang out in SD for two nights you can always rent a car the day you leave.

The yellow building in the last picture is the parking garage and the double gated door with the awning is the entrance.

i3tjrk.jpg

6zwt94.jpg

dy9mrd.jpg

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
There are parking garages in the area but the problem is most you have to have your car inside at a certain hour and can't get it out until morning.

Around this area very few people leave their cars parked in the streets at night. But I'm sure the hotel can direct you on what to do with the car.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Roma

I stayed at the Roma 3 months ago and will be staying there next week for 4 nights. Can't beat it for the money. Clean large rooms with kitchen and internet A/C and cable.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I stayed at the Roma 3 months ago and will be staying there next week for 4 nights. Can't beat it for the money. Clean large rooms with kitchen and internet A/C and cable.
I only took a quick peek inside the first floor lobby and it was very neat and clean. What is the nightly rate and is the internet available in the rooms. The big question is why no one has asked if Hotel Roma was guest friendly?

Since Hotel Roma does not have a website and does not have a sign outside indicating it is a hotel how does everyone find out about this hotel? I would imagine word of mouth? My favorite hotel I always stay at when in SD does not have a sign outside buy it does have a website.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Yes, it is ...almost too much so. I've had "unannounced" visitors appear at my door. Hence why I've stopped staying at Roma. I prefer a little "security". If you can deal with that, the rooms are decent, the rate is good

DomRepper

Jun 22, 2009
Yes, it is ...almost too much so. I've had "unannounced" visitors appear at my door. Hence why I've stopped staying at Roma. I prefer a little "security". If you can deal with that, the rooms are decent, the rate is good

thanks for your answer. better I try to negociate the rate at palacio... and pay a bit more than for Roma.

kind regards
Domr.

Evv

Sep 5, 2009
Is it safe for a single female to stay there long term, I am looking at a month?
Many thanks

Evv

Sep 5, 2009

I somehow missed the answer.:surprised

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Roma

I have stayed there on two occasions. No problems at all. Security is fine, staff helpful. No doubt you can get a better long term rate.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Hotel Roma

Don't bet on any better rates. I was looking for a long term rental and the minimum they would quote me was $950/month.

Karlheinz

acmike

Jan 11, 2005
Roma

The Roma is guest friendly. Another thing thing to know is that they do not accept credit cards so you have to pay in cash. I stayed there recently and I thought it was great.

mmetrik

Jun 5, 2009
Worst posible service

I rented a room at this hotel last year in May and had the worst posible service and ****ty atitude from the staff. Before agreeing to rent the room, I asked the receptionist point blank, would there be a problem if I were to have guest(s) visit me in the room while I stayed at the hotel, I explained that I travel to Santo Domingo often and that I enjoy being able to have dinner in my room with my friends as we watch movies, I also explained that I'm not the rowdy loud partying type. The receptionist assured that there are not any additional charges to bring friends. Well, two friends and I arrived at the hotel about 7:30, to watch movies in the room due to it was a rainy Tuesday night. We watched one movie and were 20 minutes into a second when the guy that works the front desk by night, knocks on the door and informs me that it is 11:30, which by his standards is late...amazing since he was 26 years old tops...and that my friends had already been in the room too long, and that three persons are not allowed to sleep in a room meant for two, and lastly, they had to simply leave immediately. I politely informed that jackass of the follwing: (1) that my friends were staying until I decided that they were leaving, which would be after the movie is was finished (2) no one was sleeping in the room, since I had opened the door and he could already see that everyone was sitting in chairs (3) finally, what the hell difference does it make that my friends have been in the room for four hours, since no was was doing anything to disturb the other guess'. Then the guy tells me that it's policy...the guy was haitian and and spoke english so there wasn't a language barrier. Once the movie was over, I walked out my friends, and then demanded that he call the receptionst/manger that had been at the desk earlier when my friends and I arrived, he called her and she had the nerve to repeat exactly what the guy had said concerning how long my friends had been in the room and how it was getting late. I told this jackass that, I'm a grown man of 45 years and that my mother is dead and buried in Chicago, and I did not come over three thousand miles to be told up to what time I could have company. Then she tries telling me that there is a fee for additional guess who stay the night, to which I reminded her that it was only 11:30 and that the night was not over and that no one had spent the night. Anyway, the next morning I marched down to the desk, suitcase in hand and told her that I was checking out, I could not believe how crazy that whole situation was. Please stay away or at lease get it in writing concerning their policies. Recently, I spoke to friends that mentioned that they had found a new place to stay, but when they revealed that the place is the Roma, of course I had to strongly advise against.

Last edited: