A few things

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
What would I normally expect to have tp pay when I rent a gua gua and its driver for the day??And also how is the VISA and residency situation at the moment?? I am going to the DR for like 6 months, I am sure that I willl automatically be legal in the country for a while but after that 2 weeks or however long my initial VISA will last, how much will I have to pay to sray longer??? And how would I go about doing that? Cheers. By the way I love the culture and the local's attitude there compared to England, I mean they have so liittle and yet they are very happpy with it?? Its an addictive country. Lastly I have come accross the word 'asi' a few times and wondered what it meant?? I am learning but have had very little practice so I am hoping to catch-up while I am there

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
What would I normally expect to have to pay when I rent a gua gua and its driver for the day?
Do you really mean "guagua"? If so specify whether you want a people-carrying van, a small bus, or a luxury intercity coach?

I am going to the DR for like 6 months, I am sure that I will automatically be legal in the country for a while but after that 2 weeks or however long my initial VISA will last, how much will I have to pay to stay longer? And how would I go about doing that?
You don't need a Visa from the UK. Just a Tourist Entry card buyable on arrival for US$10 (don't forget to bring actual US dollars for this). This is valid for 28 days. Anything above that you pay a surcharge on departure depending on how long you have overstayed. The sliding scale of rates has been posted here on DR1 (search!) but they are fairly modest.

By the way I love the culture and the locals' attitude there compared to England, I mean they have so little and yet they are very happy with it? Its an addictive country.
I am English and hoping to emigrate to the DR very shortly so I agree it's addictive. How "happy" the locals are with "little" is debatable. Hundreds die every year trying to escape from the DR. I am not flatly disagreeing with you, I am just saying you need to think deeper and weigh your words more carefully.

Lastly I have come accross the word 'asi' a few times and wondered what it meant?? I am learning but have had very little practice so I am hoping to catch-up while I am there
Buy a small dictionary! "As?" can mean various things, but usually along the lines of "like this", "like that" or "that way" (as in "Don't be that way"). "As? as?" means "so-so".

Best of luck with your trip. I hope you have a great time!

Gazz

Jul 23, 2009
Rget gave kittle

I know and understand that many have too little. Though I am genralizing that they are strill happy overall. For example I went over to visit my counsin who live over there, he married a Dominican girl who already had a child. The Dominican child is 10 years old. I took him to the shop to buy some stuff and I (being slitghyly unaware of the value of the money out there) gave hime the 100 pasoes change that I had left, he would not accept itbecause he had never seen this amount of money in his life. In England a lot of the children of many ages are all striving for bugger and better entertainment (me included), which I am sure promotes some dissatisfaction. Yet there, the children have to rely on what little they have (and the adults aswell) to satisfy them. Although in the area of food and other essentials, I completely agree with you, my friends and my cousin and where I will be staying they have a small house with a tin roof, very little electricity and water that comes on some of the day and an overall poor standard of living- so yes it is true that they would not be happy about this. The problem is that I would love to help my friends out and buy them some amenatys and just things that would inprove their life, yet if they have more things than others in the village then they would get robbed and would be a target.