any good dominican spots in boston?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I just moved back to the boston area (north shore) and looking for some fun spots to go dancing. My cousin is going to be visiting here soon. She is a pro ballroom dancer and would like to go somewhere to go for salsa, merengue and bachata.

I've done my googling and have not come up with much.

She arrives on aug 10. So if there is anyone in the boston area who would like to go out dancing...lets something up!

Oh..and the north shore would be fine as well. But I think we would both like a night in the city.

Lets do this!!!

Jan 9, 2004
While I realize you are looking....

for spots in the Boston area, I would suggest a night (Noches Caliente) at the Hanover Theatre in Worcester.

The place is a magnificantly restored theatre from a bygone era and these Noches Caliente feature lots of professional dancers, which should impress your cousin.

For more info, check Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts. You will not be disappointed by either the venue or the quality of dancers/dancing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I just moved back to the boston area (north shore) and looking for some fun spots to go dancing. My cousin is going to be visiting here soon. She is a pro ballroom dancer and would like to go somewhere to go for salsa, merengue and bachata.

I've done my googling and have not come up with much.

She arrives on aug 10. So if there is anyone in the boston area who would like to go out dancing...lets something up!

Oh..and the north shore would be fine as well. But I think we would both like a night in the city.

Lets do this!!!

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Good find Playacaribe2, when i lived and went to school in Worcester in the early 80's there was a big PR population. Have not been back in 17 years but i am sure there is a more diverse Latino population now. Looks like it would be worth a 45 minute ride and 10 bucks. The only bummer is the mention of Reggeaton in the promotion.

Have you been to any Noches Caliente events there and what was the ratio of Reggeaton to traditional music. My experience is that Worcester is a college town ( Clark, WPI, Assumption,ect. ) and this may be geared towards a younger crowd. Not that a room full of young Latinas is a bad thing.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Noche Caliente has gotten great reviews and tons of press coverage in the local papers. The Hanover Theater is a class act establishment. To go for a night of dancing you are required to dress up a bit.
I have been wanting to go in the worst way but unfortunately my time is occupied with visiting my brother at UMass hospital right now.
I think Noche Caliente has been a popular event for the local latinos and hopefully it will encourage other venues to take advantage of it's popularity. It would be nice to see more places for latin dance and music in the area.
If I had the money I would open a dance club in the Southbridge, Ma. area which would draw crowds between Worcester and Springfield. Southbridge has a large latino population also.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Roxy's in Boston has a latin section too. It is a popular nightclub with seven different theme discos . I think they have a website.

Jan 9, 2004
Starting in the mid....

to late Eighties, the latino population became much more diverse. A fair number of Dominicans, Ecuadorans and Salvadorans now call Worcester home.

There are also nightclubs in Worcester that run Latin nights featuring latin music, but that music, I am told, tends to be more of the Reggaeton/hip hop variety with a little of the bachata/salsa/merengue. As such, it attracts more of a "Reggaeton/hip hop dressing crowd.

The Hanover I am told, does offer some Reggaeton, but is mostly dominated by the salsa/merengue/bachata styles of music. And, by and large, they attract a dress to impress crowd covering a pretty wide age range. It is not a traditional nightclub like Vincent's or the Roxy, but rather a maginificantly restored theatre that offers various musical events/shows.

Be aware however that Noches Caliente which has been running every other Thursday throughout the summer will end on August 13, 2009.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Good find Playacaribe2, when i lived and went to school in Worcester in the early 80's there was a big PR population. Have not been back in 17 years but i am sure there is a more diverse Latino population now. Looks like it would be worth a 45 minute ride and 10 bucks. The only bummer is the mention of Reggeaton in the promotion.

Have you been to any Noches Caliente events there and what was the ratio of Reggeaton to traditional music. My experience is that Worcester is a college town ( Clark, WPI, Assumption,ect. ) and this may be geared towards a younger crowd. Not that a room full of young Latinas is a bad thing.