Bottled Water?

J

Joyce

I have seen some reference advising people visiting the DR to only drink bottled water, not to even rinse your toothbrush in tapwater. I am asking for someone's knowledge of this matter? I am particularly concerned with Santo Domingo, is the case there? I appreciate all help.
Thanks,
Joyce

C

Canadian Bob

Joyce, the risks of using tapwater for anything but washing outweigh the cost of bottled water and ice made from purified water. I would be pleased to receive any information to the contrary from any region of the D.R.The concequence of drinking tapwater can be a real health hazard, so why take an unnecessary risk. Perhaps others will confirm this. Regards, Canadian Bob.

G

Greg

Joyce I agree with Canadian Bob. I know many people who drink the water from the INAPA water system without problems (as they say it is properly treated and potable), but why take the chance? A five gallon bottle of purified water is $ 1.00 dollar u.s. So as Bob mentioned, weigh the risks and the answer is clear.

E

ECH, M.D.

Joyce, as Greg and Bob said, water from the tap is for washing only. And I will go a step further for those who rent apartments and do their own cooking. Add a capful of clorox to the rinse water. It is not good practice to wash the dishes and then rinse the very same dishes in contaminated water. Some people just don't think about this. And while on the subject, when eating in a restaurant that is "new" to you....check out the bathrooms. In Public Health training we were always taught that if the bathrooms were dirty....the kitchen probably was also and not advisable to eat there.

A

A Gringo in Puerto Plata

Re: Bottled Water? >A Few Drops In Bottled Water?

Some people claim that 5 drops of Bleach in a 5 Gal. water Bottle is a good precaution...Perhaps DR. ECH. would like to comment?

J

Joyce

Re: Bottled Water, but why exactly?

Thanks for all the advice, surely will not want to risk getting ill. But why exactly is the water in DR unsafe? Is it the water purification system is not modern enough yet? Is this the case in the capital, Santo Dominigo? How would a person ask a family you were going to stay with about this matter, without the risk of possibly offending them? Maybe someone will mention it before arrival. Are most of the Domincan people you live there useing bottled water, or is it just tourists?
Thanks,
Joyce

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: Bottled Water? >A Few Drops In Bottled Water?

Actually, the water is NOT processed to render it potable (drinkable). It is filtered for sediment and that is about all. The source (rivers) are grossly contaminated with raw sewage; then the delivery conduits are also contaminated and have leaks; finally, in the Dominican Republic, all water is collected in cisterns (underground holding tanks) that are poorly maintained and serviced. In some, ground water is easily accessed and contaminates the cistern. Water is pumped into the buildings with ELECTRIC water pumps. That is the major problem when the power goes off. No electricity....also means NO WATER. Contaminates consist of bacteria (like E.coli that is recently in the news), viruses (the cause of hepatitis)and numerous parasites. Most, but by no means all, Dominicans DRINK bottled water and only use tap water for washing and bathing. And you can render water potable, as Gringo in Puerto Plata said, by adding clorox but it is 15 DROPS PER GALLON of water and you should let it stand for 30 minutes before using.
You know the jokes about Mexico..."great to vacation...just don't drink the water." Well, the same applies here. Don't be overly concerned but do exercise caution in order to enjoy your vacation.

C

Canadian Bob

Re: Bottled Water, but why exactly?

Thanks Dr.Ech for your succinct reply to Joyce. I always read your postings as they are most informative. The same goes for all the others who give good advice on this most useful DR1 Message Board! Canadian Bob.