Cuba Vs. DR

DawnCBUK

Aug 4, 2009
Hey all,

I'm visiting the DR for the second time in October this year. (First was a totally crap all inclusive in Punta Cana where I was lucky to see ANY normal dominicans except those lovely Haitians trying to rip me off on the beach)

I wanted to know how the DR compares to Cuba in terms of dancing, dance partners, clubs and general nights out?

I went to Cuba last year and it was amazing. The music literally pours out of everything. The clubs are amazing and it was so easy to find people to dance with.

I am going on a 2 week holiday first week is arranged in Santo Domingo with spanish in the AM (I am intermediate level already) and bachata lessons in the afternoon. The second is open. I can go pretty much anywhere.

I am completely addicted to reggaeton and batchata and dance here in the UK to both. I can salsa but don't like it as much.

I want to dance and dive and spend more time with local people. I am not arsed to have to spend time in flashy hotels and it doesn't have to be 5 star. In cuba most clubs were way too expensive for "normal" cubans and the only ones I saw were jineteros. Is it the same in the DR?

Is it safe to be out on your own in clubs in Sousa? Santo Domingo? Should I give Sousa a miss as it sounds like a mecca for drunken 18 year olds?

Are there good places to meet like minded female travellers and local dominican women. I don't want to be on my own if its not safe?

What about local culture? Any must see places? Any places to avoid like the plague. The beauty of Cuba was the fact there were very few all inclusives and the place was not tainted by a MacDonald's on every corner. Do these places exist in the DR still?

Cheers in advance of any help!

Dawn

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It sounds like Santo Domingo or Santiago may be better places for you if you don't want to stay at All Inclusives. If you love dancing and hanging out Dominican style then you should visit Avenida Venezuela area - The so called "Other Side" of town in Santo Domingo. Be aware this place is The Real DR and not touristy at all so take necessary precautions (i.e. Don't get drunk out of your mind and flash tons of cash around). Just do a search in here or just talk to your Bachata dancing teacher and I'm sure he/she can point you to the places you're looking for.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
In regards to dancing the night away:

Stay away from Lounges/Bars where JEVITOS hang out. All you will do is stand all night listening to a variety of music with no dancing going on. You need to go to local places like SuarezN recommended (the other side).

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Not just young people Anna. hehehehe you should know this...

Jevitos/as are young people of rich families. Typically they hang out in "upscale" bars/lounges drinking expensive liquor and seeing who's D is bigger (sorry to be so blunt) by buying the most expensive bottle of whatever and showing up in their daddy's or mommy's bmw etc etc etc.

To the OP - there is no dancing in these places AT ALL. So avoid them like the plague. How can you tell if it's one of these places you are walking into...

There is a line and at the door there are two HUGE guys in a black suit blocking the entrance behind a red velvet rope. And on the inside you don't hear the sounds of MERENGUE, SALSA, BACHATA but instead you hear a thump a thump kind-a sound coming from the inside.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Not just young people Anna. hehehehe you should know this...

Jevitos/as are young people of rich families. Typically they hang out in "upscale" bars/lounges drinking expensive liquor and seeing who's D is bigger (sorry to be so blunt) by buying the most expensive bottle of whatever and showing up in their daddy's or mommy's bmw etc etc etc.

I learn something new everyday.;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DawnCBUK said:
What about local culture? Any must see places? Any places to avoid like the plague. The beauty of Cuba was the fact there were very few all inclusives and the place was not tainted by a MacDonald's on every corner. Do these places exist in the DR still?

Local culture:

For a good introduction to the country, its history and culture, visit the Museo del Hombre Dominicano. The best cultural center is the Centro Cultural E. Le?n Jim?nes, in Santiago. In fact, visit both. You'll get a very thorough understanding of all things Dominican.

Museo Bellapart & Museo de Arte Moderno are the two best museums to see authentic Dominican art. Plenty of art galleries scattered in the city, especially in Gazcue and the Colonial Zone. In terms of local theater productions, make your way to the Teatro Nacional, the Casa de Teatro, the Palacio de Bellas Artes, Teatro Las M?scaras, and Teatro Guloya. These are the best venues (as well as Teatro Cibao - the only venue of its kind outside SD) for Dominican fine arts.

Must see places:

In Santo Domingo, all the historical sights in the Colonial Zone, as well as the Faro A Col?n and the Jardin Bot?nico Nacional.

In Santiago, the Monumento a los H?roes de la Restauraci?n de la Rep?blica, the Museo del Tabaco, the Centro Le?n (for the link read the first paragraph above), and the Fortaleza San Luis; which was recently converted to a museum.

If you are into historic places, south of Santiago you'll find the ruins of the old La Vega (the DR's version of Pompey, except it was destroyed by an earthquake, not a volcano). The Santo Cerro with is church in honor of the virgin of Mercy, if only for its historical significance (the location where the first Spanish vs. Native American battle took place) and the view of the Vega Real. With a good camera (or set of eyes) you can even see Moca from there.

As for few all-inclusives, most of the DR is free of their presence; except in a few select and highly concentrated areas. As for McDonald's and the like, Santo Domingo and Santiago have their share. A Quizno just opened in SD, literally a few days ago. But, there's plenty of local options, they are not supplanting Dominican food; but rather complementing it.

There's more stuff to see and do in the SD and STI areas, so by all means don't feel as if these are all the options.

As for Cubans in the DR, the El Mill?n neighborhood in SD is known for being a center of the Cuban population, albeit they tend to not be as visible as other nationalities. There are several businesses and restaurants owned by Cubans scattered through out the city, and especially in the Gazcue section; if you get the itch for something Cuban in the DR now you know where to look.

But, to put it in the words of many Cubans that visit/live in the DR, the DR is Cuba with Coca Cola. Their words, not mine.

Click on the underlined words for more info on them.

-NALs

Last edited:

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I wanted to know how the DR compares to Cuba in terms of dancing, dance partners, clubs and general nights out?

I went to Cuba last year and it was amazing. The music literally pours out of everything. The clubs are amazing and it was so easy to find people to dance with.
Are there good places to meet like minded female travellers and local dominican women. I don't want to be on my own if its not safe?

I have spent many months in the DR and in Cuba.

You really cant compare the music, dancing and finding dance partners, and club scene in Cuba to that of the DR.
Actually Cuba is a cut above any place else in the world in this area IMO! I agree with you that it is truly is an amazing and unique place in that regard, coming from a fellow dance and music lover.
Sad to say you will be disappointed if you compare it to what you experienced in Cuba and have the same expectations. It is very different.
Send me a PM if you have more questions.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hello to the OP - you don't give your age range, but regardless, I'd be wary of recommending any single woman to go to anywhere in Los Mina [avenida Venezuela]. It's not the safest part of the capital. Lots of drugs and wild people there at night. Are you traveling alone?

We have cousins in Los Mina that my husband will only visit during the day.... but maybe we've just become old farts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hello to the OP - you don't give your age range, but regardless, I'd be wary of recommending any single woman to go to anywhere in Los Mina [avenida Venezuela]. It's not the safest part of the capital. Lots of drugs and wild people there at night. Are you traveling alone?

We have cousins in Los Mina that my husband will only visit during the day.... but maybe we've just become old farts.

Just to clarify - the closer end of avenida Venezuela is in Ensanche Ozama, in case you look at a map of the city that shows the different districts. As you proceed further down ave. venezuela it becomes Los Mina. Neither end is really safe for a single woman, especially a tourist.

What about the night clubs in the hotels? [Jaragua, Melia, etc.] Or the Mauna Loa? Anyone been in any of them recently?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Oh you are a single female traveller. I missed that. I agree with AlterEgo.
Cuba is 10 000 times more safe for a tourist, so be warned.
The freedom and relative safety you had being a single woman going to local clubs alone, random house/street parties you discovered while walking on the street and quickly becoming friendly with random Cubans you just met, is not something I would recommend you doing in the DR.
There are things I did in Cuba that I would never even think about doing in the DR as a single female traveller.
I found it much, much easier in a short period of time, to randomly connect and interact with the locals in Cuba in comparison. It will be hard to accomplish that on a short 2 week trip to the DR. You need to have your guard up more.
The vibe is just different.
As others have mentioned at those nicer and safer clubs people go to be seen and to show off....not to dance so forget about those snooty places.
The American influence in the large cities in the DR is very obvious.

BTW what area(s) of Cuba have you been too, and the specific places/things you really enjoyed, so I can make a better comparison and suggestions for you.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
More info on Dominican culture and cultural events during your visit can be found by clicking here.

Talk to Cubans that have visited and know the DR well. There is no better way of knowing what and how Cubans relate to the DR vis-a-vis their country, than through their own opinion.

Needless to say, more often than not their opinion contrast sharply with some expressed here by non-Cubans.

-NALs

DawnCBUK

Aug 4, 2009
Thanks everyone for all the great information. Cuba with coca cola *laugh*. I like that. I am definately going to Santo Domingo but wanted to know is Sousa worth a visit or too many tourists etc?
Don't get me wrong I don't want to specifically hang out with Cubans when I am there. :) I am interested in learning more about dominicans and the culture there. All I saw 7 years ago was a disneyworld of booze, burnt overweight tourists (of which I was one of) and capitalism. Call me jaded and I am still democratic but I was effected by how poor people are exploited by the rich on my "guided" tour outside the compound.
I am english/american female and 34. I will be travelling alone so that's brilliant info about the "other side". Does anyone know if it's easy to hook up with other travellers who are up for dancing? Are there any good places in Santo Domingo to do so? I am assuming I will meet some on my spanish and bachata course.

I never drink so no worries about me being drunk in "the other side". Can the average dominican afford to get into clubs? The reason I ask is all the good clubs (with live bands) cost tons and the only cubans in these were of the "working girl" sort.

Thanks a ton for all the cultural information as well. I will research a bit more and see where the wind blows me.

Thanks

Dawn

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Hey.. I have also spend long times in Cuba.
But I have only been two times to Sosua, so I can only compare Cuba with Sosua.

Music, Not an expert, but it was lesser reggathon in DR,
Safer, except some bad places in Cuba, believe I Cuba is more safer.
The difference is the type of crime, In Cuba is most assault or theft in the street, like handbags, jewellery, but not very violent.And some theft from your Casa Particular. I have read more about break in apartments in DR , also when the owner or guest are home,and often more violent. A friend of me was very closed to be killed earlier this year when some Haiti boys enter his apartment to rob him in Sosua. So I will recommend to find a safe place to live. And also use this motorcycle transport if you live little far from down town, in stead of walk at dark, deserted places at night.

In Cuba will always Cuban male try to be with you, it is difficult to be alone in Cuba, In Sousa was it very few locals that try to be friends with.

There is a lot of hooker or jiniteras in Sousa, and different from Cuba is prostitution legal in DR. It is a lot of male foreigners in Sousa, but some few woman's to. It is easier to meet foreigners in Sousa, just go and eat at Rocky bar, so will you meet many of them.
As I say a lot of the locals I saw and meet in Sosua, was mostly hookers or locals that left the foreigners in peace..
But since you can little Spanish, should you visit the bar FLOW, where it is a lot of locals and Caribbean music. I meet some nice locals there, and it is also the cheapest bar in the main street or in Sosua. Oh, you don't drink, ok, cheapest Coca Cola then.lol.

Sosua have a nice beach.
Everything is much easier in DR, like get good food.

If I should compare Sosua, with Cuba, must it be a mixture between Varadero and Trinidad.
DR are easier and simpler to live in as Cuba, but fewer contact with the locals as in Cuba. But you must try, to find out yourself.

D.T SUCKS

Aug 20, 2009
The stupidest Cuban is more literate than the best educated Dominican. Culturally, Cuba still has one. The DR sold out to Coca Cola many years ago. Plus Castro kicked the crooks out of Havana--and they all moved to Santo Domingo.
mister fukudome jajajajaja good way to try to engaging the reader in comparing cock size with you!!!!!!!

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Thanks everyone for all the great information. Cuba with coca cola *laugh*. I like that. I am definately going to Santo Domingo but wanted to know is Sousa worth a visit or too many tourists etc?
Don't get me wrong I don't want to specifically hang out with Cubans when I am there. :) I am interested in learning more about dominicans and the culture there. All I saw 7 years ago was a disneyworld of booze, burnt overweight tourists (of which I was one of) and capitalism. Call me jaded and I am still democratic but I was effected by how poor people are exploited by the rich on my "guided" tour outside the compound.
I am english/american female and 34. I will be travelling alone so that's brilliant info about the "other side". Does anyone know if it's easy to hook up with other travellers who are up for dancing? Are there any good places in Santo Domingo to do so? I am assuming I will meet some on my spanish and bachata course.

I never drink so no worries about me being drunk in "the other side". Can the average dominican afford to get into clubs? The reason I ask is all the good clubs (with live bands) cost tons and the only cubans in these were of the "working girl" sort.

I'm American woman around your age and have similar interests for when I travel... definitely make a stop at El Sarten when you are in Santo Domingo. No charge to get in and back when I was single I had no problem finding a dance partner- not a meat market, which is nice.

I live here in SD so I can't really tell you how easy it is to hook up with other travelers.

I have not been to Sosua but I have been to Cabarete, which is just down the way. My impression of Sosua- again, without having spent any significant time there- is that it is a very touristy place, less connected with the "Dominican" way of life, so it would be difficult to "connect" in the way you would like. Cabarete is nice and if you are interested in surfing, kite-surfing, etc then it would be a nice place to meet other travelers.

I recommend Saman? and surrounding areas. I have spent time in Las Terrenas, and while there are plenty of tourists, there are not as many all-inclusives. There are more boutique places and the beaches are great.