Help with College/Residency/FAFSA

jhanlauf

Sep 10, 2008
Hello!~

I am planning on attending UNIBE for their MBA program in fall of 2010. Currently I am finishing up my thesis semester for my MA in Arizona, (which was partly funded by Stafford Loans). (I'm a US citizen)

The Ideal Situation:
I would like to attend UNIBE with "resident" status in the D.R., to pay the resident tuition, which is greatly less than that for foreigners.
However, I would like to fund this endeavor through FAFSA, which I have checked and UNIBE does indeed accept.
And during this time, I would like my current student loans to be deferred (requiring I attend an accredited University - Which UNIBE is).

The Issue:
Is it possible to claim residency of the U.S. for the FAFSA but obtain residency in the DR for in-country tuition?
How might I go about that?

Any advice and info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
You need a Federal School Code

You need a federal school code on your application, i.e. U.S. schools authorized to disburse FASFA aid money.

I think foreign universities are not included whether you change residency or not. The issue is one of attending authorized, accredited universities, not one of residency.

I know it is not intentional on your part, but making happen what you propose would probably constitute something fraudulent, i.e. representing yourself as able to receive aid but diverting that aid elsewhere.

Just my thoughts on it.

jhanlauf

Sep 10, 2008
Sorry I don't think I was clear enough :(
UNIBE does indeed have a federal school code. And so I am 100% sure I can get funding for the university through federal loans.
However, the issue is how I can possibly get lower tuition rates at UNIBE.
As a foreigner they charge a much larger sum of money than they do for "dominican residents".
And so I am wondering if it is possible to have dual-residency, or if there is any other way to have residency in the DR but claim in MN (my home state)
According to FAFSA information, even if you are a resident of another state in the U.S., if you are considered a dependent of your parents, you can claim the state that they live in. Even though you would legally be a resident of a state different than theirs.
Therefore I am wondering if it would be feasible to have residency in the DR for lower tuition cost, yet on the FAFSA form, use MN as the true residency and US citizenship.

Thanks again!

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
That sounds clear to me now, but it still sounds there is a potential for unintended misrepresentation.

I think the answer lies directly with FASFA. I'd think you'd want some sort of approval in writing from them so that the plan is understood by all parties.

It sounds like everything you want to do is on the level and will help defer additional expense. Nothing wrong with claiming residency in DR as far as I can tell; get it in writing from FASFA though, bro.

jhanlauf

Sep 10, 2008
THANKS! I thought maybe I could find someone else who had to do that :D But I'll direct the question to FAFSA as well.
(I'm a "sista" by the way)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you are a Dominican you probably cannot get local fees for tuition...But you will have to check with the university on that point.
It takes more than 6 months to get a Resident Visa, so there goes one year, more or less.
The Federal Loans should cover your tuition...don't they??

HB

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
Tough question to ask on a forum such as this, as pointed out by previous poster, not sure if this wouldn't be a little shaky. You can get Dominican residency, and be a US citizen, so it can be done, there isn't a real database or communication between the countries to determine if you have residency in another country when completing the FAFSA, and it may even be ok, seeing the UNIBE has a federal code. For residency, you can also obtain an "expert" who could help push through your residency. If you explained what you were up to to the institutions involved, I doubt you would get approval...

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
you don't have US residency, you are a citizen.

and all citizens are eligible for FAFSA at accredited universities. HOWEVER, if there are different tuition costs becuase of the residency, you can only get loans and aid in the amount that you'd paying. So, if you are paying 1,000 pesos instead of 10,000 pesos (oversimplification) the FAFSA will only cover you for 1,000 pesos if you're a dominican resident. There is communication between the university and the FAFSA program.

jhanlauf

Sep 10, 2008
Thank you!

Thank you all for your insight. So far my research shows you have to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident or eligible non-resident, as well as be at least 1/2 time in an accredited university. So things are looking up. I have, however, sent a message to FAFSA for further clarification, and just to follow-up and perhaps other out there I'll be sure to post the response. Thanks!

jhanlauf

Sep 10, 2008
Oh yes, and I understand that FAFSA only covers the cost of tuition but that is exactly the point. I would like to minimize the amounts of student loans I will have to re-pay once graduated. I am in a Master of Arts program, in my thesis semester and should complete it by May 2010. However, Fall 2010 I'd like to enter into an MBA program. UNIBE offers an MBA program for around $4,000 US a year (I think-it's been a while since I have checked), for 1 1/2 years. A much lesser amount to repay than any other program I have seen in the states. And I wanted to be sure I could get FAFSA help to continue to defer payment on those loans I have already taken out for my M.A. Trying to kill two birds with one stone. So I still have about a year to get this figured out, but wanted to get a jump on things, as I know everything in the D.R. takes forever :D

?

? bient?t

I was under the impression that FAFSA grants were only available for first UG degree and not for Master's.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
if you are enrolled in any school, you can defer federal student aid loans. it doesn't have to be accredited either, as long as you have official letters from the school stating that you are studying there. just so you know, if you don't get the fafsa aid, you can still defer your already existing loans as long as you are enrolled in a higher learning institution. (i worked in student financial aid for four years)

jhanlauf

Sep 10, 2008
Got the Go Ahead!

So, I emailed FAFSA and got written confirmation that it is just fine to do as planned. In the state of residence area I just have to put "FC" (as in foreign country), but the only requirement is that I be a citizen, and there is no requirement I be a resident of any state. So everything looks fine! Good information for anyone else wondering :D

~J

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Do you speak fluent spanish, my understanding is that UNIBE only offers their med school program in english.

alwaysdominican9

Feb 1, 2009
unibe fasfa..

Hi. i lost track, but is it possible to get FASFA in UNIBE even if you applied as a dominican citizen? I have dual citizenship, and i know that dominican republic citizens have a diffrent tuition then do american students.

Basically...if i am a dominican and us citizen, can i apply as dominican resident and fill out a fasfa?
thank you.

ForeverOne

Apr 23, 2008
I don't know at UNIBE, but at PUCMM you can. They charge you the Dominican rate at the US equivalent. Find out from admissions at UNIBE.