Gun License

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If I understand correctly, a foreigner, as long as he's resident, can have a gun license? There are many tests involved, including psychological evaluation. Do they have them in English? Anybody know the costs, tests, and procedures involved? Best place to buy a gun near Puerto Plata?

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Conch:

As for the tests, the business that sells you your firearm will send you with a guy to take them all. Just follow him around and do what he says. As I recall:

The psyche test was a joke. Someone I know went, and although he didn't speak a word of English, he aced the test. I guess if you are not actually drooling and twitching, you are sane enough for a firearm. My exam was as easy as a brief conversation.

The firearm lesson/test is a joke as well. You go in, fire a weapon at the target, and pass the exam. I think that as long as you don;t actually shoot yourself in the face, you're all good.

The **** test, on the other hand, is not a joke. Yes, they watch you pee to make sure it's yours, and yes they are equipped to properly test your urine. I don;t know how long illicit substances stay in the body, but I'm sure you can find that information online if it is of concern to you.

I am not sure if you need a permanent residency or if the provisional will do.

Note that for all that you pay for the weapon and take the tests, you will not receive your firearm immediately. You will have to take a trip to the capital and retrieve it from the armory after the paperwork clears. If I remember correctly, it takes a week or two.

Reactions: Black Dog

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure that you need permanent residency and I'm absoloutly sure that if I'm wrong someone will tell me shortly LOL

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
If I understand correctly, a foreigner, as long as he's resident, can have a gun license? There are many tests involved, including psychological evaluation. Do they have them in English? Anybody know the costs, tests, and procedures involved? Best place to buy a gun near Puerto Plata?

Hello and welcome!

Yes you have to be a Perminent Resident to obtain a handgus licesnse. No they are not available in english, BUT as long as you answer the questions the pshych asks you in spanish you will Pass. Some psychs atually know know english like mine did! Or at least some Words ;)

*note* these are prices for the tests and licensing Fees only not for the firearms themselves:

Here are the prices:

For a Brand New Gun From a dealer:

Emisi?n Original de Licencias Para pistolas, rev?lveres y armas de todo calibre:
Recibo de impuestos internos. (Government Tax): RD$ 2,000.00
Recibo gastos operativos SEIP(Processing Fee for the Gvnt). RD$ 700.00
Recibo carnet fotogr?fico.(Your foto I.D.) RD$ 500.00
Fideicomiso.(A Seperate Processing Fee for the SEIP) RD$ 500.00
Depuraci?n.(have no clue what this is!!) RD$ 40.00
Certificaci?n Psiquiatra.( Cost for the Psyhch Test) RD$ 800.00RD
Total $6,240.00RD

For a Used gun Or Traspaso:

Traspaso con Emisi?n Original

Impuesto DGII RD$ 2,200.00
Recibo SEIP RD$ 7,000.00
Certificaci?n Psiquiatra RD$ 800.00
Depuraci?n RD$ 40.00
Carnet Fotogr?fico RD$ 700.00
Fideicomiso RD$ 500.00

TOTAL: RD$ 11,240.00

Its Definetly Better to buy a Used Firearm Due to the Extremely High Prices.If you look in the classifieds you will be able to find Some good deals.
at a dealer a simple Smith and wesson 9004 will run about $4,000 USD.
While that same model in the U.S is about $500 Or so.
Firearms Are Very Expensive and so is the ammo. About 65-70 USD for a box of 50 FMJ Not jhp!!!!!!
Buy used Youll get a way better Deal.!!

Reactions: Black Dog

cork

Aug 23, 2003

Two places, Hunting World in Puerto Plata across from Casa Nelson. Secure locked backroom. Need permission to go in.

There is an gun shop in La Union that is supposed to be reasonable. If you need help, I have someone to help you. Totally legit, he can open doors for you.

I believe Michael Davis at Banker Trust in Sosua can make arrangements for you too.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Conch:

The **** test, on the other hand, is not a joke. Yes, they watch you pee to make sure it's yours, and yes they are equipped to properly test your urine.

Can vouch for what SosuaJoe says. They have to actually see your willy peeing in the cup! I was really embarrassed I'll have to admit. It was a really pretty girl doing mine and I got "Stage fright". Couldn't go...took me ages! She thought it was hilarious!

Oh and by the way, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it....the weapon you choose, that is!!!!

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
So with bad Spanish, I will be able to pass the psych test? Guess my spanish can improve with RD1,000 ?

NOOOOO Donot Bribe the psych he/she will FailYou!! trustme as long as your alive youwill pass. you justneed to know the basics The Answer is always NO

doyou Drink? -NOOO Never not even alilbit? NOOO
Smoke?- Nooo
Have enemies?- Nooo

And soon and so forth.

And of course the Everyso special....... If you find your wife in bed with another man whileyou have that gun on your hip What wouldyou Do????
Well youcan MAke the answer Forthat LOL....Which i hope during the process it would be nothing HAHAHAHA
The questions are all commen sense. One of my neighbors is English and he has 2 Shotguns a Sig 226(love them sigs!!!!) and a Glock 17 and hardly speaks spanish
Soif he can doit im sure you Can! and there alll legit with license hes onlyallowed to CCW The Glock The sig and the shotguns only allowed tenecia (or Premises)

Last edited: