Caipirinhas & cacha?a

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
I'm missing the taste of a good caipirinha made with real cacha?a (Brazilian sugarcane alcohol). Does anyone know where you can buy cacha?a?

I've read a 2006 post saying that Almacenes Colonial in the capital sells it. But I've not seen it available here on the East coast.

As it's a derivative of sugarcane I'm surprised that there isn't a Dominican brand.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
On the north coast it's available at Playero, but it's local and called '61' instead of the popular brazilian brand called '51' but it is fine and makes good caipirinhas. maravilha.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
They also sell a brand of cacha?a at Carrefour in Santo Domingo, but I don't remember the name because it was unremarkable.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I thought it was 62, but oh well. Its available, it's a little weaker than the brazilian stuff, it's only 35% alcohol, where in brazil its 40% usually, and if I can recall the taste is pretty close. No Velho Bareiro here, but its alright.

The question I have for you is, do you use lots of Soda or little to none?
Brown or white sugar?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
White sugar and no soda!

1 lime
2 ounces of cacha?a (white ron works in a pinch)
sugar to taste
ice cubes

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
That's the way Tambo!! I've ordered one here in Canada, 1oz RUM, tap lime, and soda. I told them it wasn't what i had ordred! haha, And in the DR they seem to adopt the americinized version, except stronger. Man you can get one on the street in brazil for about $1 or $2 reales, which is less than a buck, or a real pi?a colada(in a pinapple) for about $5. And a case of 12 bottles for $10. haha so cheap. Plus Velho Bareiro, the good stuff, is only like $2 - $3 a bottle. Hmm, they also have lots of good fruit liquors in BR, like passionfruit, mango, etc. Perhaps they could spread some of their knowledge here.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
La Sirena in SD sells 2 brands from Brasil, one is around R$400, the other 600+. The 600 is called Martin Affonso, the cheaper is 44, 51 or some other 2 number combo

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Saude! Salut! Kanpai!

White sugar and no soda!

1 lime
2 ounces of cacha?a (white ron works in a pinch)
sugar to taste
ice cubes

That's the way!

Saude!

mijwix.jpg

Will add that to the Santo Domingo shopping list then.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
You can also resort to the caipirosca, made with vodka instead, but, well.
And one lime? I like about 6 or 7 little bits mashed all up, with dreaded white sugar.
Being that the wife is Brazilian, she makes a mean one. Also a great feijao amigo, which is a warm bean soup with parmegian (sp?) cheese at the bottom, a few bacon bits, and um 'amigo' straight up on the side (a shot of caichaca). Good for the digestion, they say. Typical carioca thing. Isto 'e de bom meu filho.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Caipiroska's alright. and 1 lime, split into 8 pieces (2 halves quartered), muddled witht he sugar - mmm. You can get those big mortar and pestle things and make party size caipis, perhaps using the ones they use for mofongo. And if you're making it a little fancier, sugar rimmed glasses are good too.

As for feijao, pretty good, a nice alternative to the bandera, muitos pedos! Now if you can get a good pao de queijo, now we're talking. Maybe some barbequeud chicken hearts, yum. Damn, now I am craving a Brazil trip - its sorta like DR, substitute merengue for samba, spanish for portugues, baseball for futbol, rum for cachaca, etc. Good times -

Anyone know how to make a good capeta? Or if you can guarana em po in DR?