Finally a good Doner Kebab place (Bonao)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Finally I have found a real Doner Kebab place in DR. This is the Turkish version of shawarma Sandwich. The owners are German and Turkish fellows. Both are from Germany, even the Turkish is born in Germany. The place is only 3 months old and is located on the autopista Duarte as you are going towards santo domingo, right at the tip end of Bonao. So its located in bonao but on the far end as you are going to capital on the right side.
I took this picture at 8am in the morning so I guess the place was just opening up for the day. I ate there last night so I guess they are opened till 11pm.
The Kebab is made up of chicken and made fresh everyday. The bread is also baked freshly at their bakery right in the restaurant. They also make delicious cheesecakes and white chocolate cake as well. The majority of dishes are typical german with pork so I didn’t try any of them. I did order the Kebab sandwich which to my surprise was HUGE. It was like eating 2 huge burger king whoppers. Wow, loaded with meat and sauce in freshly baked Turkish bread. I forgot to take pictures but the picture I have posted below is similar but the sandwich in question is a lot bigger in real life. So I had a good huge doner kebab sandwich, bottle of water and a german version of brashly baked apple pie. All for a total of 285 pesos. Well worth it. I would highly recommend anyone to eat in this place if they are going to pass by bonao. You will see signs of Parada Alemana (german stop) on the highway. So do stop by and enjoy the good meal for a change.
AZB
a0ii4p.jpg

2cptk0h.jpg

doner-kebab-780388.jpg

Resim5.jpg

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Now I have more choices when traveling on route 1. Thanks for sharing! And I will certainly give it a world (although I don't know if it will be the NY kebabs).

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
Doner, Kebab, dying here...

Where, how??? I live in La Romana and occasionnaly go to Santo Domingo. I MUST stop and eat at this place, please how do I get there??? My mouth is watering as we speak!!!:cheeky:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You must go to bonao and from where you are coming from, it will be on the left side as you are entering bonao.
Good luck.
AZB

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
I sometimes go to Santiago, so the next time I go on my way back to Santo Domnigo, I should find this place near the end of Bonao... Man, I wish I had to go there now!!! That's the one thing I always go and eat when I return to Canada is my favorite doner dish at a local greek restaurant I know...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I will check it out as I love German food. Any chance you checked out the snitzchel, I mean sin meat??? :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am SO there next trip to SDQ...which is next week!:cheeky:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Actual picture of the sandwich at the restaurant. compare the size with the water bottle as reference.
mtqhyx.jpg

AZB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
kebab, kabob, kebop, kebap or kabap. Kebabs are any meat or veg on any old skewer.

A doner kebab would have to be lamb and on a vertical skewer

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida and I stopped there this afternoon returning from Santo Domingo. It's less than 500m south of Plaza Jacaranda on the same side of the street.

Very nice, clean...and largely deserted...place.

We had the kebob sandwich for $RD160 (along with the Dasani water;)). Huge, just like the picture.. REALLY good, fed 2 of us. The pita bread is made on premises. It was made with chicken and not lamb-the only thing I wish were different. But lamb is quite costly here, so I understand.

Thanks for the heads' up, Aftab. :) It's on my RoadSide Stop List now...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Looks good, but speaking of shwarma... where can you get some good stuff in SDQ?

El Rey de Falafal in the Colonial Zone on Calle Padre Billini - excellent schwarma...

And thanks AZB for the heads up on this place, that sandwich looks HUGE...and sounds awesome...Ive past this plaza many times and noticed they sell Ice Cream and Orchids...always thought it was an odd combo...never noticed the food...

Feb 7, 2007
Actual picture of the sandwich at the restaurant. compare the size with the water bottle as reference.
mtqhyx.jpg

AZB

My kebab today served at PARADA ALEMAN just after Bonao looked exactly the same... the sandwich was BIIG and TASTY. It was 160 pesos which I consider a very good price. So in almost a year, things didn't change at all (which is good) and they keep the portions....

Ate there at 2 pm today, the place was empty, my sandwich was ready in 5 minutes. Will definitely eat there again when I am going by the place.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
My advice would be to make that road trip sooner rather than later Chip. I am amazed they remain open. I make weekly trips to the capital at it is ALWAYS deserted, both coming and going. Couple that with the sheer size of the place I don't know how they are making ends meet. I wish them luck, but it doesn't look promising......