my first trip to Puerto Plata

alaska1986

Returned from a wonderful, affordable 11 night vacation in Puerto Plata from July 16- July 27 with my family (myself, my brother and my mother). We stayed at Grand Oasis Marien and booked many tours (La Isabela Historica, City Tour, Jeep Safari, Santo Domingo (although it was cancelled), and Paradise Island (Punta Ruisa)). The Dominican Republic certainly lived up to our expectations. The funny thing is that I read these forums along with yahoo travels night and day and everyone said the best way to experience the real DR was to meet a local and have him show you around. Well being the adventurous person I am, I did just that at the resort on the first day (I will spare his name as I don't want to sacrifice his job), but he was a great honest friend and he picked me up nearly everyday after he got off work (outside the resort in costa dorada) and showed me around the city. We went to El bumba, the bullpen, el malecon, sosua and everywhere else you could imagine in and around town! We even went to the Antony Santos concert across from Playa Dorada. I speak a little spanish and I'm dark skinned to begin with (so everyone thought I was dominican anyway) so I fit in just fine. I met several Europeans and Americans who relocated to Puerto Plata, and they became my good friends as well. Not surprisingly, I'm going back in December and I'm renting an apartment which will be much cheaper than a resort!
Thanks to everyone on this forum for providing such useful and important information for travelers!

Reactions: Black Dog

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Another new recruit to the country that we all love so much!
Glad you had a great time and glad your staying outside of an AI the next time!

Have fun……

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Congrats on leaving the hotel compound and getting the lay of the land. Once you've been bitten by the DR bug you're hooked.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Welcome to the DR and DR1. Keep bringing in $$$ good for the economy :)