My Son Needs a Job. Please hire him!

MaMa Lisa

Aug 6, 2009
Okay, I am his mother and I am helping him find a job so I dont have to keep helping him. ;)

My son is 24 years old and I shipped him off to the Sosua DR to be "independent." He loves the beach, water, & sunshine. He is from Virginia, is very cute, has a beautiful smile, and a wonderful personality (I'm biased, of course). He has been in the U.S. Army, confirmed in the Catholic church and has some community college education. He is a good son.

He is presently living in a cheap room motel and I would like to have him find a real home...somewhere he can be part of a family....and somewhere he can get a decent job.

If you think you can help me out, and him, please respond to my post.

Peace Be With You.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi and welcome to DR1. What are your son's qualifications? It's off season right now and jobs are hard to find without skills and if he does find one the pay is usually very low compared to the US.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Like Anna said...dont' expect much in terms of compensation. What does he have to offer to the local economy? What is his special trade? Is he looking to work in a resort?

MaMa Lisa

Aug 6, 2009
Hello & Thank you for your welcome. :)

Back here in the states he has experience in being a waiter/server/bar back. He really would like to be a bartender. He had a job in Tulum, Mexico as a tour guide for a couple of months last year but had to return home to his ex-girlfriend (long gone now). He took tourists on tours snorkeling, swimming with the sea turtles, and to the Mayan ruins. As I said earlier, he is very charming and definately a "people person." Working at a resort, hotel, bar, club, or beach would definately fit him. He is physically fit and in good health.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
First question i have is what is the reason you would send a 24 year old to live in sosua with no job or no way to support himself?
Secon, does he speak spanish?
Third, what is his nationality
fourth, Is he in sosua to hide out or get away from someone or thing?
fifth, how is he supporting himself now?
sixth, again why sosua out of all places to relocate to, with no job or nothing...
And like it was already said, are you and your son aware of what kind of wages to expect tp earn in the DR? I get the feeling that you are supporting your son now and the both of you need to realize that he may be lucky to find a job making a month what most people can make in a day in the states.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Back here in the states he has experience in being a waiter/server/bar back. He really would like to be a bartender. He had a job in Tulum, Mexico as a tour guide for a couple of months last year but had to return home to his ex-girlfriend (long gone now). He took tourists on tours snorkeling, swimming with the sea turtles, and to the Mayan ruins. As I said earlier, he is very charming and definately a "people person." Working at a resort, hotel, bar, club, or beach would definately fit him. He is physically fit and in good health.

All due respect to you and I say this because I have three adult independent children but your son needs to show up at each and every resort. bar, restaurant, hotel, tour operator and talk to human resources in person. Face to face contact is always best. It's great that you think your son is cute and charming, I think mine is too but that's not going to get them a job. ;)

He needs to go door to door and literally sell himself in order to get a job.

As a mother I'll also add that the minute you stop sending money he'll become very resourceful.:cheeky:

Best of luck

MaMa Lisa

Aug 6, 2009
Answers to rsg's questions...

#1) We know a couple of people who are from the DR and they thought he would like it. He researched it as a single American male who loves the beaches like Kite Beach & the Cabrete area, the resorts, and the tourists.

#2) Yes, he does speak Spanish enough to get by. He did go to Mexico last year for a couple months as a tour guide.

#3) American, from the Commonwealth of Virginia but raised many years in Boston and loves hockey & rollerblading. :)

#4) Yes...an ex-girlfriend that he fathered a son who was placed into an open adoption. He needed to get away from her and the whole situation to get on with HIS life. He can always run home to MaMa Lisa if he doesnt make it.

#5) Me....on very little because I dont have it but I love him and have to help him help himself.

#6) One of the people that we know has a brother in Santo Domingo and her father is in Sosua. He can always turn to them IF he can t make it or needs help on his own.

Can he have the job now? LOL

MaMa Lisa

Aug 6, 2009
He doesnt know that I am doing this....

Friends,

My son doesnt know that I am doing this. I just thought it would be a good idea if I got some advice to pass on to him....afterall us mothers do know anything!

The ideas you any giving me I will pass on to him. Criticism or sarcasms dont help me be a better mother. :)

I will heed your advice and appreciate your "Christian" help and concern.

Peace.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
All due respect to you and I say this because I have three adult independent children but your son needs to show up at each and every resort. bar, restaurant, hotel, tour operator and talk to human resources in person. Face to face contact is always best. It's great that you think your son is cute and charming, I think mine is too but that's not going to get them a job. ;)

He needs to go door to door and literally sell himself in order to get a job.

As a mother I'll also add that the minute you stop sending money he'll become very resourceful.:cheeky:

Best of luck

Yes, I have to agree with AnnaC.

If he had been a FEMALE 24 year woman, believe I it would have been easier.
I have visit most of the bars and disco in Sosua, and in most of the bars work young sweet Dominican woman, since they can attracted male foreigners.There are some foreigners that work in bars, but again few male foreigners.
And it is a hard completion and in periods can it be fewer tourist.
Earlier this year meet I a Young good-looking Dominican girl, she need money to pay for her rent, she had visit all bars in town and beach,but no luck .
Even heard a story about a another girl,that make so little tip from her beach bar in a rain period, so she had try to get money by sell herself to tourist.

The hideout bar in the main street, is a place where I seen some male foreign bartenders, since it is popular amongst female foreign tourist. Can be a place to ask.
Have also meet a male young foreigners that work in Call center.

One problem is that you dont make a lot of money, since the salary are low.
And it is important to live in safe place, because of robbery.
So housing will be the highest expensive. The person that work in a callcenter, made 20.000 peso a month and used 12.000 on a place to live, so then is it not much money left to live, food, and have fun..

But he can be lucky and have some experience with tourist work and speak some Spanish. I think the most difficult is the get your first job, then can it be easier..

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
He chose the wrong country to be independent, and without a college degree the transition would be more difficult, not to wish your son bad luck, but the DR can be mean to people without college degrees or enough capital to start a business. I believe he will be back home after spending 7 months in paradise.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
bars/restaurants in cabarete mostly have foreign staff(I must admit I havent been for a while so it might have changed), there tend to be more Dominicans working in the bars and restaurants in Sosua, which is how it should be really.

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
While we are on the subject of foreigners and employment I have a question. How marketable would a 35 year old with a BS in Marketing be?

Jan 17, 2009
bars/restaurants in cabarete mostly have foreign staff(I must admit I havent been for a while so it might have changed), there tend to be more Dominicans working in the bars and restaurants in Sosua, which is how it should be really.

Still true. It's to hard to find Dominicans who speak good English in this area. Cabarete restaurants and bars are suffering a lot with the downturn; very bad summer season. They may not be hiring but it's worth him going around the beach bars asking the managers.

locodiablo

Aug 10, 2009
Hello All,

Mama Lisa,

I suggest that your son looks into the US Embassy in DR and apply for a job there, as any Military veteran has privilage over any other person applying for a job. They pay in dollars, he will get benefits and he will get Holiday pay for US holidays as well as Dominicans. If not tell your son to come back to the US and try get his lisence to become a deck hand and become an MSC, pays really good, there are so many things he can do since he is a veteran, he should really take advantage of that.