From the you got to be kidding file.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
In todays DR1 news:
Zero crime in tourist zones
The director of Touristic Police says there is zero crime in the country's tourist zones. Brigade General Henry de Jesus Gomez Bueno, of the Army, attributes this to an increase in patrols and the collaboration of the community that lives in the tourism destinations. He said Politur recently was outfitted with 35 pickups and another 35 motorcycles for patrolling.
In an interview with El Dia, he said that logistics are expected to improve further with the installation of closed circuits in several tourism zones to be financed by the state and the tourism sector in these destinations.
He said that requirements are higher for recruiting the police that work in the Politur unit of the police.
He said the Politur has a new website at Polic?a Tur?stica - Inicio

You have got to be kidding right??????????

If this is true then how is he going to improve on a zero rate.

Who writes this junk for the government and do they believe any one believes this kind of absurd stuff?????

Bob K

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In todays DR1 news:
Zero crime in tourist zones
The director of Touristic Police says there is zero crime in the country's tourist zones. .............

Who writes this junk for the government and do they believe any one believes this kind of absurd stuff?????

Bob K

NALs does.............

SantiagosantiagO

LA71009

May 13, 2009
Tourist Police website

I saw the new site, it looks nice, but can't make out a word of it.

If it's for the tourists, wouldn't it be a good idea to have an English version of the site so people could understand what it says? Especislly the "safety" section?

Just a thought

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
The statistics they have listed are a joke. In any country, many crimes go unreported. How many tourists do you think get something stolen from them and don't report it because they don't want to bother or don't believe (with much razon) that it wouldn't matter? A LOT.

If I had a peso for every time I've been sexually harassed (not just your typical piropo), I'd be able to buy a round of grandes for all. I would report it to the police, but what would they do, laugh or harass me even more?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
It IS hard to believe Politur's general would make such a claim. I mean, it is just unfathomable even by local standards....
I guess he doesn't get out much.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Maybe he?s trying to say that tourists are not assaulted in the tourist areas which honestly I must admit I haven?t heard of either here in the south and the ones that got robbed by queros or tigres trying to score drugs prefer not to report it therefore not contributing to the report. However what about the expats living in tourists areas, they don?t count?
The article belongs in the clowns bin though!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that Frank has a point: Tourists, per se, are probably not that bothered. Ex-pats, on the other hand, seem to be targeted for major and violent crimes. Which the "spin Doctors" put in some other niche.

And, of course, he (the general) has to CHA....and like Tflea mentioned, he really does not get out much...

HB

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
Politur Patrols

On the malicon in Puerto Plata they have 2 man patrols spaced about 1/2 mile apart walking an assigned area all day. I haven't heard of any problems during the day involving tourists.
The only problem area is in front of a couple bars, the Blue Room and the Bull Pen, at night where the locals hang out and spill out in to the road. With all these young drunks their seems to be a fight or two every night.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The only positive is at least they appear to believe it is important to protect tourists, now if they can only follow through.