Reading your own posts...

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Do you re-read your old posts from time to time? If so, what did you think about what you wrote? Did you find your posts helpful, unhelpful, 'trolling', flame baiting, etc.

Do you find that you have changed your style of posting over the years on DR1 and do you regret some of the information written in your own posts?

The reason why I thought of asking this question in the forum is because many times I refer back to my own posts for information and it saves me time having to look up data, details and good information that I knew I posted and at the same time I get to see if my view point has changed or if I made an error in the details provided.

In general, do you post on DR1 to really provide helpful information, participate in interesting discussions, exchange useful data or is it just a website/ message board to kill time and stir up controversy, critique other posters via your style of posting? Have you ever regretted what you posted?

Just curious that's all....

~Marianopolita.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
mostly rubbish, but the occassional useful item....very bad spelling and grammar,some of them I dont understand at all, I suppose they made sense at the time

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
My opinion...

mostly rubbish, but the occassional useful item....very bad spelling and grammar,some of them I dont understand at all, I suppose they made sense at the time

That's what makes posting on DR1 a challenge because some posters want to contribute to good discussions, exchange ideas and info and others just merely are passing time and just posting because they can I suppose. Then it turns a quality board and threads into a chat room which is not the intent of DR1. However, as Robert always says the message board is like the real world or a neighbourhood. You need all types of people/ personalities to make it interesting or successful with exceptions to those who just don't follow protocol at all or post to disrupt the flow of a thread.

However, it does make it hard at times to decipher the type of response(s) a poster is looking for. For example, you asked this question: http://www.dr1.com/forums/781094-post5.html

... and there is a good response for it which no one has answered but the thread seems so informal that I would have answered it but I don't want to waste my time. You know what I mean?

In Spanish there are distinct grammatical rules regarding the usage of 'ser' and good speakers follow them instinctively but you will hear incorrect usage like - soy un dominicano, soy un abogado when referring to nationality, professions etc... All this is fully explained in grammar text books and references and usually English speakers and/or bilingual speakers (Eng/Span) in a mostly English environment start to change their speech because of the English influence.

I tend to regret what others post.

The board has a lot of new posters from the time I started posting regularly five years ago. I see certain posts as a heads up to the type of posters one is dealing with and avoid them as much as possible.

~Marianopolita.

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I don't got back to my old posts. I know they were all silly anyway. :) I used to like this site more in the past because of some smart people with great sense of humor. Although some of them left, like m'frog, for example. Some of them are still here and I like to read what they have to say, although I don't have much time or energy for discussions.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I do, becouse this way I notice if any pregress in the way make sentences and if I'm starting to think like a Gringo.

He,he....

JJ

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I haven't been a member for a long time, but I have posted quite a bit thus far as I felt that I had some things to contribute. I don't regret any of my posts so far that I can recall because IMO they reflect who I am, a sincere, honest and well-meaning person who likes to learn new things, express my opinions and help others out by giving advice. I think my posts are mostly useful and contribute something to the general discussion on a thread. Sometimes I may use informal expressions or a joke, but for the most part I try to say something useful.

You can't help but to judge or assume things about people based on what/how they post. Marianopolita seems like a very thorough/seria person, which I deem as a good thing. To me people can come across as: crude, arrogant, ignorant, machista (negative) or witty, insightful, mature, informed (positive), among other things.

One thing related to this (not to go too off topic), are the points that people can get by others rating their posts. Maybe I am being too judgmental, but based off of the posts that some people make, I'm like 'how in the heck did they ever get so many points? It seems like all they ever post is blah blah and drama.' Maybe people get points because others agree with them or like their on-line personality, not because their posts are the most informative or helpful?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Funny you should ask.... I re read one of my posts last night and had no idea what I was talking about..... It took me a minute to figure it out....

I wish I had explained myself better.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I find I take more notice of the chat-type posts,I very rarely read anything more than 8 lines.

Sometimes the language posts go into too much detail that is way over most peoples heads -and not that helpful to people like me with a lower intellect.

the discussion type posts are more about lecturing someone to agree with your point of view rather than listening to anyone elses.

Basically I just like to know if Im missing anything,give some limited advice, have a bit of fun on the way and "pop pompous posters".

Im not going to change the world but I can change my underpants.
The Duke of Edinburgh 2006

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A few responses-

I don't got back to my old posts. I know they were all silly anyway. :) I used to like this site more in the past because of some smart people with great sense of humor. Although some of them left, like m'frog, for example. Some of them are still here and I like to read what they have to say, although I don't have much time or energy for discussions.

Just like anything else the site changes and evolves via the posters that participate. Depending on one's style of posting it could be time consuming. I post if I have time because my posts are not one liners, smilies, cheer leading or critiquing others type of commentary so time is always a factor. I post much less than I used to for a few reasons and I actually think it's better to be a reader IMO. You still read DR1 so something is keeping you interested in staying tuned even in silence.

I haven't been a member for a long time, but I have posted quite a bit thus far as I felt that I had some things to contribute. I don't regret any of my posts so far that I can recall because IMO they reflect who I am, a sincere, honest and well-meaning person who likes to learn new things, express my opinions and help others out by giving advice. I think my posts are mostly useful and contribute something to the general discussion on a thread. Sometimes I may use informal expressions or a joke, but for the most part I try to say something useful.

You can't help but to judge or assume things about people based on what/how they post. Marianopolita seems like a very thorough/seria person, which I deem as a good thing. To me people can come across as: crude, arrogant, ignorant, machista (negative) or witty, insightful, mature, informed (positive), among other things.

One thing related to this (not to go too off topic), are the points that people can get by others rating their posts. Maybe I am being too judgmental, but based off of the posts that some people make, I'm like 'how in the heck did they ever get so many points? It seems like all they ever post is blah blah and drama.' Maybe people get points because others agree with them or like their on-line personality, not because their posts are the most informative or helpful?

First of all I would like to say it's a pleasure to exchange posts with you for the first time. I have enjoyed your posts since the first day you started participating in the forums and you are definitely one of my 'unsung heroes/ heroines'. It's not a regular occurrence that a newbie so to speak blends in well with the crowd and DR1 can be a tough group. Therefore, I applaud you for that. I am tired of the same people getting praise all the time. Certainly your knowledge of the DR, living experience and maturity when posting has worked in your favor. Hopefully you will continue to post.

You touched on two personal traits of mine that people always notice about me and it's very interesting that it comes out in my posts/ posting style as well- 'thorough/ seria'. I definitely see this as a compliment. Thanks. Although many other adjectives define who I am I do have a good sense of humour, but I try not to get into that in my posts because I have noticed through experience via other posters that humour does not come across well and what was originally intended as joke many times ended up offending someone. The person really has to have the ability to make humour come across in their posts well otherwise- no vale la pena.

The reputation systems/ points is a false and deceiving tool and unfortunately it is something DR1 has decided to use. I think it does have the potential to be effective but how many people are using it for the intended purpose based on some of points that people have vs. their posts? From what I can see the two don't equate. Most who have plenty of points have a posting history that makes you question the value of the system- one liners, sarcasm, smilies, friends giving friends points, drama etc. I have watched many people's points increase right after posting only to guess they were just rewarded for yet another vague one-liner, kudos to you my friend type of commentary. My only advice to you is don't bother with it as it does not reflect the quality posters who just definitely should have the points to reflect their contribution on DR1 but they don't. I go by the quality of person's posts whether they have 50 or 5000. The reputation system IMO is like what we say in Spanish- hay que tener palancas- it's who you know. I need more connections.

Funny you should ask.... I re read one of my posts last night and had no idea what I was talking about..... It took me a minute to figure it out....

I wish I had explained myself better.

I know what you mean. You must have been in a hurry because normally your posts are brief and make sense. However, see it has an opportunity to improve your writing. If you had a hard time understanding your own words imagine others. Sometimes that's how posts get misinterpreted and the flames begin. I know I need to continuously improve my proofreading but that's another story.

Sometimes the language posts go into too much detail that is way over most peoples heads -and not that helpful to people like me with a lower intellect.

I am missing something in the Spanish forum? Not much linguistic detail is giving by posters. I am one of them who does provide detailed responses but otherwise the other more lengthy responses are just personal opinions about the subject matter but not necessarily correct info.

~Marianopolita.

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I've certainly posted a few I'd like to sprinkle some dirt on, about 6 feet of it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Not really...

That probably makes it difficult to re-read their own posts, if they don't remember the handles they used:)

Actually those who currently use and in the past have used different handles are fully in control of their user names IMO. After all two posted in this thread and I am sure they can list their multiple handles. I know I can surely name a few. Most of the times it is easy to detect who they are as most don't change their writing style and/ or in a controversial thread their old colours show. I don't need the DR1 software detector to detect most of the multiple user name posters. Also some posters do have similar posting styles and they are not the same person.

~Marianopolita.

Last edited:
?

? bient?t

Actually those who currently use and in the past have used different handles are fully in control of their user names IMO. After all two posted in this thread and I am sure they can list their multiple handles. I know I can surely name a few. Most of times it is easy to detect who they are as most don't change their writing style and/ or in a controversial thread their old colours show. I don't need the DR1 software detector to detect most of multiple user name posters. Also some posters do have similar posting styles and they are not the same person.

~Marianopolita.

Someone did just that a few months ago: had used over 20 usernames, mostly in defiance of banning decisions. I must admit he's been pretty lame lately. Is he "growing up" or just bored? My take: he'll never grow up. Yeah, yeah, he may try to discuss Voltaire and Spinoza, Weber and Jurgensmeyer, Chomsky and Schumpeter, but then resort to childish behavior and taunting and... mocking;). I'd say he lacks substance, and his style is a bit outdated: a would-be pretender.

The question remains: Does he have a life or is he just funny? In other words, is he taking posting way too serious or not serious enough? After all, most folks would not return to a place from which they've been banned. I bet he has yet to join a club that would have him. Weird, just weird.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
See you soon...

This is way too much rambling for me but since you have so many posts combined on DR1 do you re-read any of them occasionally and what are your thoughts about your own posts? After all that is the subject of the thread.

Merci de antemano.

~Marianopolita.

?

? bient?t

This is way too much rambling for me but since you have so many posts combined on DR1 do you re-read any of them occasionally and what are your thoughts about your own posts? After all that is the subject of the thread.

Merci de antemano.

~Marianopolita.

My posts:

I only read the ones I think are funny, usually right after posting them... read 'em fast for effect: BAM! BAM! BAM! The rest of my posts: not even wild horses could drag me back to read them.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I can't spell, my grammar sucks but I've met a lot of people through DR1 and made some really good friends.

Believe it or not I do read my posts before hitting that post button but when I read it again later it seems that aliens have messed with it :surprised

I do a lot of searches for important info to pass along and once in a while I'll run into some old posts of mine before DR1 had a spell check but I never specifically search for my own posts.