Motorcycle

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
dear friend,

my friend told me about the condition public transport in DR. He said it is not good..... then the suggest me to buy a car....

i have checked at the threat car before.....

i saw at the price at supercarros.com

i don't have enough money....

so i consider to buy motorcycle...

what is the price for a motorcycle?

can you give a website who sell motorcycle?

thank

Feb 7, 2007
Don't worry there will be plenty places where to buy motorcycle from. Prices also vary, depending on what you want.
You can get a used motorcycle for 20.000 pesos and you can buy new one super-duper-bike for 200.000 pesos.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and the transport condition may depend on where you plan to live.
as long as you are not in a remoted area public transportation on the Isle is pretty good.
i.e. here in bavaro the busses for the short route pass by every 15 - 20 minutes for both directions, all day long.
for the longer ride to the next city Higuey they leave from early morning til late evening every 20-30 minutes from the terminal.
long distance busses to the capital city leave every 20 minutes from the terminal in Higuey from 3AM til 10PM.
Mike

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
thank rubio and mike......

Are the motorcycle in DR come from japan?

What are the brand? Honda? Suzuki? Yamaha?

can you give me the their website in DR?

thank

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
my friend in boca chica told mr that the chinese bikes are not so good, but on a much lighter note he said that the dominicans wont even steal them, so i think buy japan models and have good insurance

Feb 7, 2007
i think buy japan models and have good insurance

That was a joke, right? There is no single insurance company that would insure your bike against theft. Liability - maybe. Theft - highly unlikely (they would have gone bankrupt by now).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
right buddy.
hey,
at least that moto theft insurance would still be a unoccupied niche here on the Isle.
we should recommend such as a still available business niche for the ones who always wanna sell real estate down here, lol
Mike

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
You sound like you need some advice about buying a motorcycle...

If you have never ridden, think hard, this may not be the best place to learn!

There are several different motorcycle-type options here, and you should think about where you are going to live and how long (distance) you will be riding it for. If you just want to get around a small or medium-sized town, why not buy a moped? Honda has some nice, reliable newer models. To travel a little ways down a highway, you can buy a "Super Cub" model, which have anywhere from 70-90cc engine. They are "campo" style, more common in rural areas. For getting down town and down the highway, or in the capital or large city, I recommend a Honda or Suzuki 125. That's what the coolest moto-conchos are driving, haha. If you have enough money, you could get a "DT", or an on/off road dirtbike, usually Honda or Suzuki 150s. This is the classiest but also most expensive, but it can get you places the others won't, like through sand or up in the hills.

Words of caution: BE CAREFUL driving here, it's dangerous and motorcycle accidents I believe are the #1 cause of accidental deaths. Bring a good DOT-approved helmet with you, or buy one here, and WEAR IT. You might get laughed at, but who cares. In some places it's the law, and it can save your life. I have seen or known of many people who died just because they didn't have on a helmet.

WATCH YOUR BIKE. They are constant targets of thieves, more so than even cars. Keep the wheel locked, park it where you can see it at all times, write down serial number, etc.

When you buy: Make sure you get a VALID TITLE. Sometimes people try to sell bikes that they don't even have the title for because they never finished paying someone else or the dealer for it, or it's stolen. Only buy one with a valid title, you do not want to deal with that and it can be impounded if you are pulled over and do not have the title. Or worse, there are legal issues and it could get taken from you and you'll never see the money again.

Places to buy used: Well-known pawn shops, or ask around with reliable people if they know someone who is selling. Again, if it doesn't have the actual valid title, don't buy it. Have someone who KNOWS about bikes look it over to make sure it's in good shape and that it hasn't been stripped down and replaced with junk parts. This is common.

ALWAYS take a trusted Dominican with you to buy. Actually, just look around. Then later, send a Dominican or 2 ALONE to look at the bike. You will be amazed at how the price will drop by thousands. When they report back, you can go back with them later. I don't even go by myself to buy a pair of plastic chairs, let alone something that's going to cost that much...

And the Chinese knock-off bikes are junk. You're best off buying new or slightly used if you can afford it.

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
rubio & sawsky & mike & minerva : thank for your suggestion

rounder : is there any motobike like this in DR ?

supra-pgmfi-1-slm.jpg

How much the price is?

I usually use motorbike....... so i hope i can easily adapt to the DR's traffic....
in my country motorbike just like car in US, almost every family have at least one...

My motorbike brand is Honda
Motobike from china is very bad.......

Lots of people here bought china's motorbike in 2000-2003 but after two years easily broken.....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that here on the Isle a "Pasola",
or in english a "Motorscooter", not a Motorbike, ha ha.
they are very common here,
driving everywhere on the streets.
they are available from 50ccm to 125ccm enginesize.
you can buy them everywhere, no internetsidte needed.
compared to the rates in the US they cost down here at least double the price than up there.
Mike