Accomodations in Cabrera

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
I was just reading with interest the post about the best place on the North Coast to live. One of the suggestions was Cabrera which interested me. When I did a search for hotels in Cabrera, I came up with the more expensive ones, which do not suit my budget. I am looking for a longer term rental, preferably a condo, for between 1 to 3 months. Nothing fancy but something on the scale of Condos Dominicanos en Sosua, which had the basics without the exorbitant expense. Does anyone have any information on rentals of a furnished 1 bedroom or studio condo? A kitchenette is essential. Also, I would like to know about reasonably priced restaurants. My only concern about Cabrera is that it appears to cater to the more upscale (expensive). Is there life there for the more modest among us? Thanks for your assistance.

Saludos

Ron

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Hi Ron...

A lot of what you are reading about Cabrera would be referring to the fancy villas outside of Cabrera, which is a whole other world compared to the way most of us here in Cabrera live. I live in downtown Cabrera where those fancier homes are few and far between. There are plenty of accommodations available for the much more modest budget. A one-bedroom apartment in town runs between $150 - 200 a month. We live in a 3 bedroom house for about $250. It is a lovely little town and I highly recommend giving it a try. I am certainly pleased that I did and now I call it home! :)

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Thank you for your prompt response. Since I do not have any furniture and am not set up to stay more than a few months, I would need a furnished apartment. The reason I suggested a condo is because IF it is a good one like Condos Dominicanos, then it is well kept and safe (relatively speaking) with a night guard, etc. I do not need a swimming pool, just a nice, clean, quiet (?) place from where I can walk to the nearest accessible beach, or to a restaurant. I have been to the DR several times and have stayed from 1 to 3 months in different locations, but have yet to find the place that has a nice balance. I like to walk without worrying about being robbed, especially at night. I have many years of experience in the Caribbean and the Americas, so I know pretty well how to carry myself and do not place myself needlessly at risk. But it does get kind of depressing when I cannot even walk on a more isolated beach during the day without the concern of being accosted in places like Baharona. Thanks in advance for any further tips.

Ron

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
La Catalina is out of my price range. Are there no places to rent that are not on the expensive end? I appreciate TravelHippo's reply because it suggested that there were a fair amount of other reasonably priced alternatives in and around town that would suit me fine. I would appreciate any suggestions or contacts to explore this option. Thanks

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
There are certainly a few furnished places around the town. Our house was actually furnished when we arrived. Unfortunately, I don't know of any condos quite like Condos Dominicanos with a security guard, etc., especially not in the downtown area and in that lower price range, but there are always apartments and houses available in nice safe neighbourhoods. If you are only looking for a 1-3 month stay, one option might be renting from a foreigner who only uses their home here for part of the year. That is actually what we did when we first arrived and paid about $400 a month for 2 months.

I personally find Cabrera very safe. I am a young female and often walk around the town on my own and never worry about being robbed or put in danger. Most everyone is so friendly and welcoming... and will look out for you as their own family in no time.

There aren't any beaches right in the town, but there is a cliff waterfront in town that is lovely to walk along and enjoy the ocean view. There actually look to be a few apartments in that area that might be of interest to you as well.

There are several well priced restaurants within walking distance from downtown... some around the central park, others on the main road, and even one right on the waterfront I mentioned above.

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Thank you again for an informative reply. On my next trip to the DR, I will visit Cabrera for a tour and see what may be available. Since it is not a tourist town like Sosua, then the rentals might be more available and not just seasonal. Thank you again for kind assistance. Saludos.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.