Warning: Highway robberies

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There is this warning going around among dominicans that if you are going on autopista duarte through Villa altagracia area and if a stone is thrown at your car and (lets say) you sustain damage or broken glass, just keep driving. Its a trick to get you to stop the car and then a few locals will come to help you (from no-where). these people will most likely rob you at gun point. I know of a person who got robbed this way and my friend got her window broken (month ago) from a hit sustained by a huge rock. She kept driving. last night a Metro bus was hit by a huge rock that broke the front windshield. The driver kept driving until he reached a safe area and then he called for help. I wonder if the robbers would have tried to rob all the passengers in the bus?
In any case, you folks have been warned.
AZB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Thanks for the information!!

I wonder if the robbers would have tried to rob all the passengers in the bus?
In any case, you folks have been warned.
AZB

Yes, they probably would've robbed the passengers, I've heard of bus robberies happening in Colombia, Mexico and Nicaragua.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have been on an AETRA Bus that was hit by a stone. this has been going on for some time. They need to be ambushed and killed.

Some guy stops, the "help comes" and when the assault begins the are all gunned down...now that would put a stop to it, don't you think?

Who says vigilante justice is bad? Especially if it is the only kind you can count on to be truly fair......

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not surprising. When we were coming back to Santo Domingo from Samana someone threw a rock at our car - we didn't stop.

One time my brother-in-law was driving home at dusk from Palenque Beach, via the road to Haina. He came upon 2 motoconchos lying on the ground, with two men also lying there in the road. He slowed slightly, and as soon as he saw movement from the side of the road he sped up and drove around them. Through his rear view mirror he saw several men standing there waving fists, and the 'injured' men sitting up.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its been going on like that for a long time

My wife is from Villa. She says that the local criminals have been doing this to passing cars as long as she can remember. One other stunt they pull is to toss metal triangles that are designed to flatten your tire and when you stop to repair it you get robbed at the least. Its usually at night that this goes on. Another reason not to drive at night in the DR. Its sad but there is a lot of juvenile gang activity in Villa Altagrassia and this is typical activity of young criminals. If you must drive at night do not stop for anything.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so people have just been putting up with it for years and never telling anyone.Brilliant !

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Another thing they do is toss big branches in the middle of the road.

It happened to us but this time it was supposedly preparation for a strike, but at 2AM? ? ? one of the strikers recognized our driver and let us through. there was a huge strike the next day, the road was impassable.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
In the road to Puerto Plata via La Cumbre there are sometimes little kids asking for money on the really tight curves. I guess they do this on these curves because you have to slow down quite a lot so you don't go over the edge thus, making them visible. One of them almost threw himself in front of my jeepeta. I was like WTF. I just hunked the horn and made the intention of running the kid over (prob 12 years old). I know this sounds cruel but I didn't know what their intentions were and I did not want to find out either. It's sad that we must do this but we must.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FWIW: THis HAS been in the papers several times...it is at least three or four years old..

Tigre, are you sure those kids weren't looking for "payment" for road 'repairs' ,,,this often happens...especially on that road...

I really think a few folks are going to get killed one day...

HB

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Recently, one of those kids on the tourist highway actually jumped on the running board below the car door and hung on to the mirror. He refused to let go, but finally fell off when we rounded the next curve. It was scarey. He wasn't a little kid, but not yet an adult. I was afraid he would break the window. Time someone took some action to prevent this. I have never seen a police or military in this area, though. What to do?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well informing people on here is a good first step- it all starts with the skipping rope across the road trick

May 12, 2005
This is exactly the reason I will not drive at night to and from the Capital. Even during the day I get the willies driving through Villa Altagracia on the Autopista.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have been travelling somewhat frequently to and from the capital recently at night and appreciate the tip.

miozio

May 23, 2009
It must be those kids digging holes all over the "highway" :bunny: ran over a couple of them, the holes of course :) Went twice till the capital, the little Duarte passage till Santiago 6 times, nothing happened, but it was always daytime. Quite frustrating to hear all that anyways! If it continues longer they would start shooting the tires if not the driver! In this case change your car for a pickup and hire a machine-gunner to fire back! Ouch!! hurts my ears even to type it!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have driven a car from SD/santiago to POP at night many times and nothing has happened. maybe it is because miesposo drives very fast, even in the dark (maybe more so since there is little traffic).
and he wonders why i do not want to drive myself :tired:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
HB & Campesina - YES. OMG now I am embarrased. Are those kids legit? Are they really asking for money to "fix the road" or something else?

One time one of them did the same thing to me. Hopped on the side and would not leg go until I threw a 25 peso coin out the window (all of this while driving). INSANE.

I drove from the capital to santiago at night only once. And like DV8s husband I do 80 to 90 on the duarte highway no matter if it's day or night (I know, dangerous to go that fast).

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If I get waved down by police or military at night on the highway - I wave back, smile and keep going.
I have been told they have have no gasoline to chase me, no radios to inform the police further down the road and probably no bullets to shoot at me.
It must be a depressing job being a policeman / hijacker on the Duarte Highway.

Never stop unless you have to.....