Step Up USA to British voltage converter

mathij

Jul 28, 2009
Has anyone had any experience using Step Up transformers for powering European eletronic goods in the Dominican, so they survive the electricity fluctuations if used with surge protectors and do you know if they are better to be purchased in UK before arriving in Dominican?

(I am only looking to power a LCD TV and good HiFi - all other cheap UK electical goods will be left in UK).

I have read on prior posts that generally recommendation is to leave UK electrical good at home before going out and buying new in Dominican due to import duties and power problems. In my situation I have my company paying my import duties and I am also only going to be in Dominican for 2 - 3 years maximum and am a little resistant to paying 80,000 peso for a 110w TV that will then be no use to me back in Europe.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved especially if it really is completely crazy to try to bring over UK goods with transformer equiptment.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
You might be surprised to find that a lot of your electronic items will run on dual voltage as most use autotransformers and voltage stabilized power supplies these days. I know that a lot of plasma/lcd monitors do.

If not, step transformers are available in a lot of the ferreterias (hardware store). They can range from 100W to 5KVA. A lot of properties also have 220V wiring for higher powered equipment such as A/C, pool pumps, hot water etc.

Be sure to also use uninterruptable-power-supplies (UPS) or surge protectors on valuable equipment as the lecky supply here is probably one of the worst in the world. On quality and price!

One thing about TVs though. Be aware that the DR TV standard is NTSC the same as the US. The UK uses PAL and if your TV is not multi-region your picture will be black and white and fuzzy. Broadcast TV is also on VHF where as the UK used to use UHF before they went digital.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Has anyone had any experience using Step Up transformers for powering European eletronic goods in the Dominican, so they survive the electricity fluctuations if used with surge protectors and do you know if they are better to be purchased in UK before arriving in Dominican?

(I am only looking to power a LCD TV and good HiFi - all other cheap UK electical goods will be left in UK).

I have read on prior posts that generally recommendation is to leave UK electrical good at home before going out and buying new in Dominican due to import duties and power problems. In my situation I have my company paying my import duties and I am also only going to be in Dominican for 2 - 3 years maximum and am a little resistant to paying 80,000 peso for a 110w TV that will then be no use to me back in Europe.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved especially if it really is completely crazy to try to bring over UK goods with transformer equiptment.

Hiya,

If we have to use any UK electrical equipment we use the step-up transformer which we got from Amazon.co.uk

Uk To Usa Voltage Convertor 45w: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

We've used hairdryers/DVD players etc without any problems at all and we bought two in the UK & took them over to our apartment. They are a bit heavy but worth the effort.

Hope this is of help

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited: