27yr. old thinking about moving to DR.

El Neii

Aug 11, 2009
Hola my people... thinking about moving to DR ... i have some family out there,so i know where I am going to stay . Anyone here from the states that moved to DR who can give me some advice or just anything they want to add. appreciate it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh man, do a search, will ya?? this has been dealt with a whole bunch, really.

If you have a good skill set or know how to make a business work, you can be cool here...

You being Dominican, you have a big step up on a lot of newbies...

Do the search, and then, if you got questions, fire away!!

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1 :). You might want to look up posts by Lando calrisian - he is another Dominican thinking of returning. If you look up his posts and the responses to them, these could be more relevant to you than those responses to relocators who are not Dominican.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
My two centavos...from a 31 y/o professional Dominican living in NYC.

I once considered cashing in my 401K, sell my house, and take out all my savings to move to the DR because I was just sick and tired of cold winters and life in NYC. All in all I would have had money to buy a descent place, descent vehicle and perhaps start a small business of some kind.

I am glad I didn't and I'll tell you why...moving to the DR or to any other country in fact is not something you decide and pick up and just go. I know you are probably toying with the idea but please be careful. I know a lot of people that have gotten burnt while doing so. How? They move to the DR and continue to have a NYC style of living. That is THE major reason why the folks I know have gotten burnt. It takes A LOT of planning if you want to do it right. Although, and I'll contradict everything I just said...there are some who have just PICKED UP AND GO and have made it work some how, some way.

Do a search on this site so you can read stories etc.

I do plan to move to the DR some day. But before that, I want to continue building wealth here so I can have it as a backup just in case when I move there I need to come back. And my ultimate goal is not to live there permanently. I want to be able to travel back and forth.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Sound advice from El Tigre although I am one of those who just did it and survived/prosperred but I am a bit like that in life. John Lenon said "life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". I believe that sometimes in life you just have to take the bull by the horns!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I did that, burnt, and then made some money and then got burnt again and now doing very well again. remember, I am 100% dominican (but born in a wrong country by mistake-hehehe).
I say, if you have to move here, then bring your money from outside. Do not try to make money here unless you have the real know-how of this country and have very special skill or product to sell.
On the bright side, if you have the right skill and if you at the right place, you can make more money here than even in USA (in dollars) given the comparable circumstances and cons & pros. I will never move back to usa. I am staying here forever. I am happy. All I have to add is, make adjustments and try to blend in with the good folks. Do not try to become ghetto and do not make friends with ghetto folks. Do not learn to talk in ghetto bad spanish. This is the first mistake foreigners make when they move here. I know you are dominican by blood but you are from USA so the locals here, expect higher standards from you. I do not talk in ghetto lingo, although I know every word in ghetto dictionary. People have set higher standards for me and I don't disappoint them.
Good luck.
AZB

Reactions: Black Dog

Joey Doughnuts

Nov 26, 2006
if your looking to get a job here, without having a ton of cash, I'd say FORGETABOUTIT, simply.

Want to listen to the bs and miracle stories go ahead, for every 1000 tradgedies there is ONE miracle on 34th street.

Your Dominican but even the tourists in DR develop a defunct brain in their own way.

Stand your ground, train, get a good job and come when it comes to the point where you came because it crossed your mind and DONT HAVE TO ASK ANYONE!!

Now if you got good possibilities in DR & can potentially make a killing, great. Otherwise to come here for Brugal & be a fool in sheeps clothing.

I'd suggest you reconsider.