Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How is Jarabacoa

Can someone give me there insight about Jarabacoa? I am moving there in two weeks to teach. Housing situation is already set up and money is fine. I"m just interested in whst I'll hear. I've read it's the only city in the world with a "Neverending Spring" because the weather is always between 16 and 22 degrees Celsius. Or 60-72 F.

Let me know.

Oh, I'm moving from NYC, NY USA

Post Thanks / Like

You will enjoy the change. It does get hotter. FYI, Guatemala is also known as the City of SPring"

No matter. I love that place, and there are a couple of posters here that live up there...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Jarabacoa certainly gets hotter than that but doesn't normally have the humidity that you've probably experienced the last couple of days in NYC.

http://www.climate-charts.com/Locati...000000203.html

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I live in Jarabacoa and love the weather. June thru September peaks out in the mid 80s and pretty humid, but it always cools off in the evening. You can always hit the river or waterfalls to get relief until it cools off. Winter is like eternal spring!

I've never met any expat who hates it here, of course maybe they got out of town before I met them! It is a small town (40-50,000) as you make friend and meet people, you will see them around alot.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm actually visiting tomorrow from NYC to check the scene before I make the plunge. I've been watching youtube videos about it.

Are there any extra precautions I need to take as far as insects or wild animals?

Also, I hear there is little to no tourism. How will I be accepted as a dom/blk gringo moreno?

No fears, just curious...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Crazy, but I'm a New Yorker and live in NYC Manhattan close to Times Square. I haven't seen grass in 4 months, so try to imagine the adjustment I'm getting ready to make.

I haven't even seen a fly this year! That's life in the Concrete Jungle.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey NYC... I'm jealous... I wish I were you right now.... Going to teach in the land of paradise.... who's better than you??? I'm stuck in Brooklyn right now.....wishing that I was there.

Have a great time.. What will you be teaching??

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be teach all sciences for grade 3-12. So basic science for the younger kids and Biology and Chemistry for the older ones.

I plan to have the time of my life. I'm half Dominican and terribly "Americanized", so I hope to get some soul. Some culture.

Paradise is definitely the word from what I hear. Can't wait!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope to meet you there then, as we are moving there on the 17th of this month

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You will like Jarabacoa. Do not worry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast