buying 600 lbs. of salt

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
We are installing a salt water chlorinating system for our swimming pool and need to by 600 lbs of salt. Any suggestions as to where to buy it would be appreciated. We are located in Sosua.

thanks,
-D

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Seawater has a saturated salinity of 3.5% (mas o menos)

According to my calculations, you need 71,854 USG....a drop in the ocean!

Once evaporated you will have your 600 lbs of salt.

Wanna borrow my bucket? LOL

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
You can buy the salt specifically for pools at pro-source on the highway by coastal. I don't know if it is ok to use ordinary salt but it's not expensive. I got this info from a friend who has a salt water pool!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
You can buy the salt specifically for pools at pro-source on the highway by coastal. I don't know if it is ok to use ordinary salt but it's not expensive. I got this info from a friend who has a salt water pool!

Thanks. The manufacturer says that if the salt is not 99.9% pure that it can possibly discolor the pool. Mu wife know the coop in Charamicos, but this is a safer way to go.

Is Pro-Source located in the Coastal complex? I'm in NY, and I know there are several pool supply places in the area.

-D

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
No, if you're heading towards Cabarete it is on the right before Coastal. My friend is delighted with his pool, it's low maintenance and crystal clear!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Seawater has a saturated salinity of 3.5% (mas o menos)

According to my calculations, you need 71,854 USG....a drop in the ocean!

Once evaporated you will have your 600 lbs of salt.

Wanna borrow my bucket? LOL

Someone has w-a-y too much time on his hands - LOL.

Gregg

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Seawater instead of salt

Someone has w-a-y too much time on his hands - LOL.

Gregg

If possible, it is actually a better idea to fill the pool with seawater rather than dumping 600lbs of salt. The chlorinator will work to bring the salinity/PH to normal levels. The advandage of seawater is the rich minerals it has. Use a UV filter to kill all bacteria and... enjoy!

I am working on a prototype (seawater pump) powered by ocean waves to provide constant supply of seawater to the pool while draining the "old water" via the skimmers overflow.
Reason = eliminate pool pump, chemicals and associated filters. Seawater health benefits too many to mention but without the jellyfish, sharks, ocean pollution etc.

Seawater pools are becoming very popular in Greeece, Cyprus and other mediterranian countries. Thalassotherapy is a natural health practice (google it).
Georgios

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
pro source is next to el chocos restaurant and the new dollar store, some items are more expensive than other pool places,but they are the real thing and do the job they are supposed to , unlike someone elses stuff who shall remain nameless this time.