Search and Rescue Dogs - SAR program

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As most of you know, we are moving to the DR on the 17th, together with our 11 dogs, most of them Malinois.

In Europe we were already involved in training Search and Rescue Dogs, and as the DR is known to be hurricane territory, as well as earthquake country, we would like to set up a unit of SAR-dogs over there as well.

We ourselves will bring a Malinois, already partly trained as a SAR-dog, but of course one dog cannot do a whole lot (they can work for about half an hour, and as it is mentally and physically exhausting for a dog they need a rest period after this). Therefore we are looking for people who are interested in helping the population this way by training their dog to be a SAR-dog.

Requirements of the dog? Not a whole lot. The dog has to be social (it is search and rescue, not search and eat), has to have a good nose, and to make training easier has to be crazy about a ball or food.

Requirements of the owner? To follow the trainings as much as possible, and to be available in case of a disaster.

Our plan is to train a number of dogs, and then approach the government in order to get a real disaster plan established.

Maybe I'm naive but I feel we can do a whole lot of good this way (natural disasters, as well as missing persons, etc...)

Just to make things clear... we are not undercutting Johan (Heldengebroed), but we already had plans to train together, so any people interested can either contact me or Johan on this matter.

And, it is a great way to train your dog, and keep him busy, and it is lots of fun playing handler or victim...

Hope to get some people interested.

Peter

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
count me in

you beat me to it
i would like to extend the question to forming a complete rapid response team with dogs, medical, logistical and other necessary persons

Johan

PS i`ve a search and destruct dog does that count also :ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and then approach the government in order to get a real disaster plan established.

There is a poster on DR1 who already has experience in discussing disaster plans (not dogs but overall disaster planning) with the government. I think it is pyratt if memory serves me correctly. You might want to contact him for his experience.

PS i`ve a search and destruct dog does that count also :ermm:

And we have a search and steal and take items to a safe place dog ............:cheeky: Probably not too difficult to extend that skill to 'rescue' because that's what she thinks she is doing anyway.

Peter, Johan will be meeting Bella Rosa at some stage, so if he thinks she is suitable, I'll discuss further with him.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
There is a poster on DR1 who already has experience in discussing disaster plans (not dogs but overall disaster planning) with the government. I think it is pyratt if memory serves me correctly. You might want to contact him for his experience.

And we have a search and steal and take items to a safe place dog ............:cheeky: Probably not too difficult to extend that skill to 'rescue' because that's what she thinks she is doing anyway.

Peter, Johan will be meeting Bella Rosa at some stage, so if he thinks she is suitable, I'll discuss further with him.

Hi Lambada, thanks for remembering me.

I think it's a great idea that they set up a K9 SAR Unit in the DR...it's way overdue. The breed they are speaking of is a longer haired dog, so HEAT is going to be an issue for them...other than that.....GREAT WORK DOGS!

Labs seem to be popular in the U.S. for SAR...I worked a German Shorthaired Pointer (named Di-o-gee) for years. The OP should get in touch with the COE and offer up services and consider setting up a training school for drug dogs down there as well....there's a demand for them NOW.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Hi Lambada, thanks for remembering me.

I think it's a great idea that they set up a K9 SAR Unit in the DR...it's way overdue. The breed they are speaking of is a longer haired dog, so HEAT is going to be an issue for them...other than that.....GREAT WORK DOGS!

Labs seem to be popular in the U.S. for SAR...I worked a German Shorthaired Pointer (named Di-o-gee) for years. The OP should get in touch with the COE and offer up services and consider setting up a training school for drug dogs down there as well....there's a demand for them NOW.
Do you have directions and contacts?

I`ll be happy to do so

Greetings

Johan

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005

I work malinois zhich are shorthaired dogs

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Let's start brainstorming. The dogs are oly a small part in a system
if we want to be succesful we need
Dogs
People
Training: dogs and people

communcation: Starting from a dissater how do we communicate to start the mission (gsm's and land lines will probably be out) how do we communicate with thirh parties

logistics: transport, Food, materials,clothing...

Medic

and finaly Finance

Who is interested in a preliminar meeting to discuss all this
Greetings

Johan

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks, Cobraboy... as I explained to weasle in a pm... I did not receive any pm from him... but of course banda ancha is terrible as always...

Pav

Jan 30, 2010
Hi Peter!

Great to hear about your intentions over here and your experience and acomplishments with your dogs sound impressive! It's a shame that you are not in Santo Domingo. I would be interested in starting SAR training with my 4yrs old Rottweiler. He's done SchH in the past which he loves, however SARs would be something we'd also enjoyed. We arrived to DR last summer and now I'm looking around at places to take him train. Keep us posted about the progress.

All the best

Pavlina

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
To keep folks updated.

We are at the moment training 2 female malinois who are becoming 8 months so basic obedience and shutzhund program (actually mondio) and start tracking training.

H?rion (male malinois 1,5 year old and sun of Acira) and Acira are in full training for Mondio for the International Mondio competition end of februari so they are both focused in training for that at the moment and will restart SAR training beginning of March.

Haldir (male malinois 1,5 year old, sun of Acira) is in full training for SAR.

Kiko, our 4 year old mix border collie/maltezer has started training in SAR as in our opinion being a small dog with a very good nose could do very well in the SAR program as he can access small openings. He is doing well.

We are setting up at this moment a program with some people from Santo Domingo to hold regular trainings every week in tracking, agility, obedience.

At the moment, a guy from the fire department in Santo Domingo holds a weekly training in Santo Domingo. For further details you can alway's pm us on that.

We are also looking for a training place somewhere halfway La Vega and Santo Domingo so that we can come together and share our experiences with each other.

Hilde and Peter

chopper1

Jan 13, 2010
Firefighter
Fire/ Rescue

I currently live in Canada and am a certified fire and rescue person.
I would certainly entertain a move.
What is the current need for Fire / rescue personnel in the DR and whom would I contact?